Her 72 Mach 1

20 hours ago, Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs said:

That piece should not be black is Slop Grey. Several parts in the grill mount are Slop grey. The shock tower braces, grill to radiator support, square trays under the headlights, center grill support and two little braces on fender to radiator support are all Slop Gray. Also the big cover under the front fender for the shock and spring is Slop Gray. You can get from NPD or mustang supply house.

I am thinking these parts may have been different colors depending on when or even who was painting them at the factory?  I am selling him a replacement hood latch/grille assembly from a 72 Sprint I had from about 86-94-ish.  Midwest rust ate it up so i pulled a bunch of parts.  I never painted the car and the parts are black?  I am wondering if anyone else has insight to this?  You can see the blue overspray in one pic but not sure if that was factory.  I did make the dual supports on my 71 vert gray (used to be black).

20210427_093908.jpg

20210427_093919.jpg

Wisdom, knowledge and intelligence are three very different things.

1971 convertible, H-code, Ram Air

1971 Mach I, M-code, Ram Air

1972 Mexican GT-351

1988 Bronco II

All could be possible... But I have seen slop grey parts which were almost black, like an anthrazite color, very dark grey. So after all the years it appears to be black. And, as you mentioned, wherever it was assembled, every plant had its own shade of grey, depending on year, month, week and day... 

Shades of Grey... Mmmmh... Wasn't there a movie once?!? 

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

Posted (edited)

I hadn't given it much thought until David brought up the color. But I hadn't considered anything but black. It isn't a concours restoration we were after, but it is food for thought, since a detail here or there would be a nice touch. 

Thanks to Cwalker509 we will have a straight bracket to install!

Day 5 of the covid for us. I'm a little achy this a.m. Wife had a mild fever last night. We're fortunate we didn't get real sick. We have little ones to care for which means no way to isolate from them. So far no signs of sickness for them, but at their age they are likely to be asymptomatic. 

We hope to have the detail guy over after the quarantine period. Two weeks extra for the paint to cure/harden. Damn china for putting this on the whole of mankind. Now we get to worry about future health issues. Only good commie is a dead commie.

Edited by 72Mach168Cam
sp
  • Like 2

Brett

Somehow I missed that you have Covid. I do hope you jump right past that. My neighbor in her 80's got over the holidays and spent 83 days in hospital and rehab. So it kicks older peoples ass. Keep us informed for sure and hope the kids are fine.

I do not know if you know the history of the Ford Slop Gray paint. In the paint shop you are changing colors all the time as different cars come through. Ford collected all the purge paint and left over of every color and mixed it all together. As colors do if you mix white, black blue, red all colors together it always comes out a gray color. Sometimes darker some lighter. The parts I mentioned go painted with this more or less waste paint and the name Slop Gray got applied because it was slop mixed together.
It does make the car look correct to open the hood and there be the different colors there not all satin black.
The green car is one of our members and is a Concourse Restoration. It won Best of Show at this event in April with over 1,000 mustangs there so you know it is right. My car is an original survivor I ordered new and not restored. You can see the Slop Gray parts in some of the pics. I am doing a write up on the parts that have Manganese Phosphate on them also. That would be the hood hinges, hood latch mechanism, parking brake assembly, gas pedal and the upper mounts on the shock tower. It is not paint but a chemical process you can duplicate.
I am one of those that if you are going to redo why not make it like Ford did cost the same and will add value for sure.

20210327_141430.jpg

20210327_141503.jpg

20210327_141520.jpg

20210327_141527.jpg

20210327_142443.jpg

• Like 1

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Posted (edited)

Excellent explanation on "slop gray" David! I did not know this. You should do a write up and it should be made a sticky in the paint section. Since we have time, this should be a detail we could add with little effort.

That green car is impressive! I've seen pictures of yours on this site and it is a perfect example of a survivor! Not sure if I've seen an engine bay pic though.

Yes we are doing fine today. I spiked a minor fever this afternoon and felt a bit crummy so I took a nap. I lost sense of smell today. I peeled a fresh orange and couldn't smell it. My kiddos are fine so far, but both of us are positive, our house is small and no way to self isolate from them. There is no doubt in my mind that they too will contract the commie crud. Long term heart, lung and brain damage frighten me the most for all. Losing taste and smell ain't cause of a runny nose. It's my brain being screwed up.

Edited by 72Mach168Cam
  • Fist Bump 1

Brett

5 hours ago, Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs said:

Somehow I missed that you have Covid. I do hope you jump right past that. My neighbor in her 80's got over the holidays and spent 83 days in hospital and rehab. So it kicks older peoples ass. Keep us informed for sure and hope the kids are fine.

I do not know if you know the history of the Ford Slop Gray paint. In the paint shop you are changing colors all the time as different cars come through. Ford collected all the purge paint and left over of every color and mixed it all together. As colors do if you mix white, black blue, red all colors together it always comes out a gray color. Sometimes darker some lighter. The parts I mentioned go painted with this more or less waste paint and the name Slop Gray got applied because it was slop mixed together.
It does make the car look correct to open the hood and there be the different colors there not all satin black.
The green car is one of our members and is a Concourse Restoration. It won Best of Show at this event in April with over 1,000 mustangs there so you know it is right. My car is an original survivor I ordered new and not restored. You can see the Slop Gray parts in some of the pics. I am doing a write up on the parts that have Manganese Phosphate on them also. That would be the hood hinges, hood latch mechanism, parking brake assembly, gas pedal and the upper mounts on the shock tower. It is not paint but a chemical process you can duplicate.
I am one of those that if you are going to redo why not make it like Ford did cost the same and will add value for sure.

20210327_141430.jpg

20210327_141503.jpg

20210327_141520.jpg

20210327_141527.jpg

20210327_142443.jpg

That manganese phosphate is NOT easy to do (At least i found it difficult, nay, impossible).  You have to vapor degrease and acid etch and blah blah.  They used it on various guns as well (Known as parkerized i think when talking about guns).

1972 Mexican GT-351

1988 Bronco II

13 hours ago, cwalker509 said:

That manganese phosphate is NOT easy to do (At least i found it difficult, nay, impossible).  You have to vapor degrease and acid etch and blah blah.  They used it on various guns as well (Known as parkerized i think when talking about guns).

Well if it is lke parkerized finish on a gun, then not possible in my shop. Best I've been able to do is cold blue. I did a 1911 frame last summer in cold blue and was proud of myself on how it looked when complete.

I imagine there is a paint that may replicate manganese phosphate finish.

Made it through the night without feeling like death was knocking on my door. We're fortunate. Worried about my wife's cousin as he was not doing well yesterday. He was the victim of the same irresponsible, ignorant and selfish relative that infected us all. Hope to have energy to do more than sit on the couch today.

Brett

Sorry about your cousin.  I hope the entire family recovers quickly.

1972 Mexican GT-351

1988 Bronco II

• 1 month later...

Detail guy finally was able to come over and take a look at the Mach. 

The orange peel does not concern him, but the larger dirt nubs and air bubbles that are numerous do, for there are many.

He'll come over on the 28th and work on the Mach 1 at our house. Kind of surprised at that, considering our shop is small, but it does have air conditioning. Plan of attack is the hood first as it is likely going to have to be redone.

He doubts our painters claim of 4 coats of clear. If there are 4, they are thin, is what his experienced eyeballs tell him. He'll know more soon.

Brett

Detail guy declined to do the work. Above his skill level. I appreciate honesty. He put us in touch with a heavy hitter that travels. A phone call will transpire for a consultation today. It will be expenses plus the job. Nobody local will touch this paint job.

If the phone call proves to be not doable (too $$) we might as well wet sand ourselves. I see a new paint job in our future...

Brett

Man that sucks!  There must be a lot of trash in that paint.  You may end up having to get a lawyer involved. I don’t like to do things that way but you dropped a lot of money on a subpar paint job. One of my customers had to take the guy that painted his 67 mustang to court. It was bad.  But he did end up getting his money back, at least most of it. I wish you luck with the next detail guy. 

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

We have contemplated just doing the wet sand and buff ourselves. I'm sure we could watch some youtubes and sort it out. ;)

But considering even one of the best local detail shops (likely the best here) won't touch it, we figured it would end in a re-paint. In for a penny in for a pound. Or something like that. So we found someone that will save the paint job. Yes, that is what this is. Ain't cheap. Still a gamble. 

We could attempt to resolve it with the original painter (don't want to deal with that hack). Or consider some sort of legal action. Call it; turn the other cheek, take it on the chin, non-confrontational avoidance, whimping out. I just don't want any more stress. I am done.

Come the 1st week of August, a guy is coming from out of town and doing a professional finish job. He'll be in our (tiny) shop all week. We'll be acting like highfalutin car collectors.

More details shall follow....

• Fist Bump 1

Brett

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 72Mach168Cam said:

We have contemplated just doing the wet sand and buff ourselves. I'm sure we could watch some youtubes and sort it out. ;)

But considering even one of the best local detail shops (likely the best here) won't touch it, we figured it would end in a re-paint. In for a penny in for a pound. Or something like that. So we found someone that will save the paint job. Yes, that is what this is. Ain't cheap. Still a gamble. 

We could attempt to resolve it with the original painter (don't want to deal with that hack). Or consider some sort of legal action. Call it; turn the other cheek, take it on the chin, non-confrontational avoidance, whimping out. I just don't want any more stress. I am done.

Come the 1st week of August, a guy is coming from out of town and doing a professional finish job. He'll be in our (tiny) shop all week. We'll be acting like highfalutin car collectors.

More details shall follow....

I know you are stressed out over this and as you said you just want it to be over. This might sound crazy but this would  make a good case for the TV show "The People's Court".   Based on all the info I don't see how you could loose.  Could sue the guy for up to 5K and get a free trip. No guarantee you would get on the show but worth a try in my opinion.  You already have all the evidence and everything you need in this post.   No lawyers involved, just fill out the form and see what happens.   Would teach him a good lesson also.

Submit Your Case — The People's Court (peoplescourt.com)

Edited - Also  Judge Judy

Submit Your Case - Judge Judy

Edited by Kilgon

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

I would never just walk away from the guy that painted it. You need to make him pay for his mistakes. I would stand in front of his shop with the car there and talk to everyone coming in and ruin his business. If I had to stay there for days I would. Not right and you need to make him make it right. Shops here have had to redo paint jobs at a cost of over $30,000. They knew they did it wrong and it had to go back to bare metal and start over. The customer paid nothing. They are a great shop. He would have more bad luck than he could ever handle if it was me. I never back down if I am right like you are.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

• 1 month later...

Finally an update worthy of posting:

Work will commence in 7 days. We hired a legend in the detailing community that will come to our shop for a week and work the paint job. If we had the skills we could probably make a Utube video and have our own reality car show. Hopefully in 2 weeks I can then go out to my 1000 sq. foot shop and stop pretending the Mach 1 isn't there.

• Fist Bump 1

Brett

The paint issue is such a bummer, I hope the guy is able to save it. Look forward to hearing how it goes!

• Like 1

1973 Mustang convertible, F code w/ C4, stock survivor with refresh in progress. Blue glow w/ Blue Comfortweave interior.

The Paint Whisperer will arrive this evening. I can hardly believe the length at which I prepared to save this paint job. I still have my doubts that it can be saved. We shall see...

Our tiny shop is prepared as best I can prepare. I bought a super expensive creeper stool. Since my 20 year old harbor freight stool that still works may not be comfortable enough for the hours the PW will be using a stool. The work bench on the right side of the Mach 1 hasn't seen the light of day for 2 years!

IMG_2669(1).jpg

IMG_2670.jpg

0903210831(1).jpg

IMG_2668.jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

Edited by 72Mach168Cam
..double pics keep showing up
  • Like 1

Brett

1000 is pretty aggressive. Must be a lot of orange peel and a lot of clear on there.  
You would think the roof would have more clear since you have less worries of runs when spraying a large flat panel.  Keep us posted. I’m curious how this is gonna turn out. Good luck !  If you don’t mind asking the gentleman doing the work, what products he’s using? Just curious what others use.  Did he say what grit he is going to take it to? Sorry for all the questions. But I have been following this thread with alot of interest.  

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.