Her 72 Mach 1

2F05F214###        63R        30E        493

4C      PB      GR

ST      QM      CS        BTRAC

BO        FDS

J1 (light stamp so not sure)          8-2 (rotated 90 deg. to the right)

Did a search and haven't yet determined: ST, QM, FDS. For the "J1" stamp, I'm not even sure that is what it is, it is too light  to be sure.

Brett

Probable correlation:

QM = quarter moldings

ST = Stereo tape?

FDS = fold down seat

Wisdom, knowledge and intelligence are three very different things.

1971 convertible, H-code, Ram Air

1971 Mach I, M-code, Ram Air

1972 Mexican GT-351

1988 Bronco II

4C      PB      GR

BO        FDS

Did a search and haven't yet determined: ST, QM, FDS. For the "J1" stamp, I'm not even sure that is what it is, it is too light  to be sure.

Brett

Probable correlation:

QM = quarter moldings

ST = Stereo tape?

FDS = fold down seat

Ahhh, thanks! Marti report states AM radio/ 8 track, yes it has fold down seat.

Not sure on quarter moldings. If that references the molding above the argent silver lower body accent paint, as I couldn't detect any bondo squeeze out of filled holes by looking inside of drivers door. The rear quarters have too much "attempt at bodywork" by previous owner to tell if it had the lower body molding.

Brett

Brett

I've read that BTRAC means; basic trim rings and caps (includes sport mirrors). According to the Marti report for this Mach 1 it came with 15" Magnum 500's. So maybe the trim ring/caps doesn't mean that (?). It does have sport mirrors though.

Brett

Brett

I've read that BTRAC means; basic trim rings and caps (includes sport mirrors). According to the Marti report for this Mach 1 it came with 15" Magnum 500's. So maybe the trim ring/caps doesn't mean that (?).  It does have sport mirrors though.

Brett

BTRAC is the racing mirror option, part of the Mach1 package. Important as the doors needed to have the holes drilled and threaded inserts in place.

Ford Buck Tag Codes-V1.pdf

ST... was it originally a 302 - 3 speed manual

Thanks! That is how it was from the factory. I'm very familiar (don't claim expert status) with Camaro's with their trim tags and protec-to plates but an ignorant wretch when it comes to Ford and Mustangs. So all this is great brain food!

Disassembly continues, albeit slowly due to documentation. Between pictures, bagging, tagging and labeling it is an excercise in automotive archelogical forensics!

I fear December. So much careful removal of parts to do and yet I initially felt with the stripped interior when we began, was a good head start. I no longer think that. We aren't feeling overwhelmed, but a sense of determination of rolling up our sleeves and getting to it has begun to take over.

Brett

Brett

4C      PB      GR

BO        FDS

Brett

Probable correlation:

QM = quarter moldings

ST = Stereo tape?

FDS = fold down seat

Ahhh, thanks! Marti report states AM radio/ 8 track, yes it has fold down seat.

Not sure on quarter moldings. If that references the molding above the argent silver lower body accent paint, as I couldn't detect any bondo squeeze out of filled holes by looking inside of drivers door. The rear quarters have too much "attempt at bodywork" by previous owner to tell if it had the lower body molding.

Brett

Not sure about QM. My 71 has RM which is rocker moldings and has the rivets for it. Mine also has a protection package which I presume is the door ding things that run down the body line (same rivets as rocker molding....do not like).

Wisdom, knowledge and intelligence are three very different things.

1971 convertible, H-code, Ram Air

1971 Mach I, M-code, Ram Air

1972 Mexican GT-351

1988 Bronco II

4C      PB      GR

BO        FDS

Brett

This spreadsheet should help you with code numbers

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-ford-code-numbers?pid=347340#pid347340

• Like 1

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Thanks Don!! I followed the discussion on the QM and BO codes in your link. We'll see for sure when the car gets stripped if there is evidence of side molding. I looked inside the drivers door (original door) at the back of the door skin and see no evidence of holes. This is of course if I'm understanding the discussion on the QM code correctly.

As for the BO discussion I'm not sure I follow correctly or rather don't comprehend. As someone suggested to my understanding; the lower body paint on the rockers would be black. The Mach 1 here is most definitely originally "argent" on the rocker panels. But there is the black out treatment on the tail panel next to the inboard side of the tail light openings. My understanding of that is that is for the "blending" in color between the honeycomb panel and tail lights for the Mach 1.

Is there a code for the side striping (hockey stick) or did it follow the rear spoiler installation? I had a recent conversation with a friend who has restored many Mustangs, only a few of the 71-73 vintage. He had asked me if our car had the body side molding down by the rockers. I said no, because I hadn't seen any evidence from looking at the back of the drivers door skin. He then said that we wouldn't have had the hockey stick stripe then. Reading through the buck tag spreadsheet would contradict what he said,as V3 QM says; Quarter molding (Decor group moldings above rocker panel, not available with side stripes, mach 1 or Boss 351).

Off topic, but my friend of many years, who has restored many (over 100) Mustangs has a quirky personal trademark; he always paints the front coil springs Ford engine blue. He has several of his Mustangs in several countries across the globe. It's a small world sometimes and Mustang's make it smaller. Nothing to do with this topic, just a passing sense of nostalgia and wishing my friend Mike lived closer to give me hand. Almost 30 years have passed since we fixed airplanes together and teased each other; Ford vs Chevy. But it does not matter how much time passes between phone calls we can "gear up" like it was last week since we talked. Sorry for the ramble, time for bed.

Brett

Brett

I had a recent conversation with a friend who has restored many Mustangs, only a few of the 71-73 vintage. He had asked me if our car had the body side molding down by the rockers. I said no, because I hadn't seen any evidence from looking at the back of the drivers door skin. He then said that we wouldn't have had the hockey stick stripe then. Reading through the buck tag spreadsheet would contradict what he said,as V3 QM says; Quarter molding (Decor group moldings above rocker panel, not available with side stripes, mach 1 or Boss 351).

It wouldn't be the first time an experienced restorer was wrong. 71-72 Machs received the lower body bright trim as part of the base package. When the optional stripes were ordered from the factory, it deleted the bright trim and associated studs and fastener holes. Many dealers would apply the stripes as an addendum, or by customer request, just like the rear spoilers and the B351-only front spoiler.

• Like 1

I had a recent conversation with a friend who has restored many Mustangs, only a few of the 71-73 vintage. He had asked me if our car had the body side molding down by the rockers. I said no, because I hadn't seen any evidence from looking at the back of the drivers door skin. He then said that we wouldn't have had the hockey stick stripe then. Reading through the buck tag spreadsheet would contradict what he said,as V3 QM says; Quarter molding (Decor group moldings above rocker panel, not available with side stripes, mach 1 or Boss 351).

It wouldn't be the first time an experienced restorer was wrong. 71-72 Machs received the lower body bright trim as part of the base package. When the optional stripes were ordered from the factory, it deleted the bright trim and associated studs and fastener holes. Many dealers would apply the stripes as an addendum, or by customer request, just like the rear spoilers and the B351-only front spoiler.

Ahh, makes sense. Thanks!

Brett

Dig into the pass side quarter / jamb area ... it is all mudded over something is hiding under there

It should have the exposed seam like the drivers side

Dig into the pass side quarter / jamb area ... it is all mudded over something is hiding under there

It should have the exposed seam like the drivers side

Hmmmm. Good catch! Took me a bit of looking at both pics to catch your meaning. Lots of mud down low on the outer skin of the passenger rear 1/4, that I did know, but did not notice the door jamb area.

Kinda like that time I bought a 66 El Camino and after getting it home, an unfamiliar seam turned out to be a "clipped" cab corner. That turned into a $1500 set of Corvette Rally wheels (what I kept from that project and what I lost when I sold). P.O. was a sly one. I vowed to never stray from 1st gen Camaro's after that, because I know every seam, curve and bend of those bodies like it was my own skin. But this is different. It's for my wife. We fix what we find. No turning back. She. Will. Have. Her. Mach 1 to drive. Someday.

later gator(s)

Brett

Brett

Took some pics. Looked at that passenger door jamb for 10 years off and on and never noticed the missing seam. My other car, the jamb is part of the 1/4, not separate. Looking in the trunk on the underside of the top skin of rear quarter there is a long faded parts sticker. The seam is missing on passenger side vs drivers side as well. (speaks in Homer Simpson) Dohh!

passdoorfrm.jpg

drvrdrframe.jpg

pass1-4trnk.jpg

drvr1-4trnk.jpg

Brett

QM does mean quarter molding. Found holes and one intact stud. Daylight can be seen from drivers side view of trunk via a small round hole. For years we had so much stuff between the Mustang and wall of the shop on the drivers side, that we didn't have access to that side.

Brett

Brett

Interior stripping is almost complete; drivers side fresh air duct, engine bay wire harness and FDS trap door interior trim panel, drivers door mirror cable is all that is left. I posted in the interior section on a how to remove the trap door trim panel that is at the bottom of the back window. The consensus is the back window has to be removed.

For the exterior, the doors are going to stay. We'll remove the exterior door handles and leave them in place. They are heavy and bulky and just doesn't make sense to haul them to the bodyshop in a pickup bed. Rear quarter extensions will come off, haven't decided on the trunk lid. Front fenders and hood will come off when I have made a spot for them in the shop (still cleaning/reorganizing and trashing stuff).

Next up will be engine/trans and stripping of engine bay of parts, brackets and harness. My wife has done a great job at bagging, tagging, labeling and picture taking of the disassembly. 

Thoughts on leaving the brake booster/master cyl. in place?? It's not like there will be a seat in place for someone to "ride brakes" for movement of the Mach 1. Or should we install the drivers seat?

We have a multi drawer Vidmar cabinet that has been for her Mustang parts storage and it is filling up. I have several solutions in the works for the rest of the parts. With the exception of the fenders. 

I could solve a lot of space issues by doing some assembling of my car (fenders, eng/trans). But the cars have to swap positions to get hers out of the shop (mine is in front of the door) and more parts added to my car may make it too heavy for easy maneuverability. In short; I have a 5/8" redhead insert installed in the floor at the front of my car that I attach a manual comealong with a bolt to pull my car back into the shop after it is rolled out. It works fine at the current weight.

Would it be a "faux pas" to add an image of my car (it ain't a Ford)?

Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead!

1002191911.jpg

Brett

Opened a pair of boxes today that had been closed up for a decade. My wife bought some parts years ago, she even forgot about the honeycomb panel that was in one of the boxes. A complete set of buckets with seat tracks. It was like a mini Christmas for her.

She also found a product to remove the spray paint applied by the previous owner on her rear seat 1/4 trim panels. The stuff works and the paint may have preserved the plastic to some degree.

Also received material samples from SMS in the mail today. The carpet is too light as well as the headliner. I think there was a miscommunication as to the correct shade of green. Very cool anyways. We'll get it sorted out.

machseatbox.jpg

share picture

passseat.jpg

honeycomb.jpg

googone.jpg

back1-4pnl.jpg

smssample.jpg

Brett

Fenders are off! No rust in cowl area. Don't have a good picture of the cowl air intakes, but other than dirt and minor surface rust on the bottom side of dash, they are fine. The leaf debris is from fall/winter 07/08 when the Mustang sat outdoors near a tree. At least the previous owner kept it away from tree debris.

Kroil it don't spoil it!

1020191656a.jpg

1020191655.jpg

1020191656.jpg

After pulling headlight brackets, it is apparent there was a bigger collision than first thought (bumper bracket is tweaked on drivers side) up front as can be seen in a rusty wrinkle on the radiator support. Aside from it needing to be replaced from the towing damage it is coming off the car.

1020191657.jpg

Brett

Also, I did take two measurements of frame width, front (28.44" or therabouts with tape measure) and rear (43.00). I managed to keep my PMD to a minimum. The rear spring mount appears appropriate for height (about 15") as well. I'll have to get the car elevated to do diagonal measurements. So far it doesn't appear the car is out of square. But only a couple measurements don't determine that, I know, just curious due to 1/4 replacement and front end damage.

I'm going to have to rely on the more knowledgeable folks if our Mach 1 is crooked beyond the size of my wallet.

Brett

The parking brake cable is going to be a major pain to remove, due to rust on the floor.

The engine bay harness is tucked into a bracket under the dash. Without my readers on and a dim headlamp, it looks like the bracket will have to be bent out of the way, as it appears to be permanent.

Brett

The parking brake cable is going to be a major pain to remove, due to rust on the floor.

The engine bay harness is tucked into a bracket under the dash. Without my readers on and a dim headlamp, it looks like the bracket will have to be bent out of the way, as it appears to be permanent.

That is correct on the bracket, it bends out to free the harness

Also, there will be MUCH cheaper places that SMS for carpet and headliners

Only use them for seat material - and some colors of deluxe door panel material

That is correct on the bracket, it bends out to free the harness

Also, there will be MUCH cheaper places that SMS for carpet and headliners

Only use them for seat material - and some colors of deluxe door panel material

Thanks for the tip on the bracket! I was guessing on it needing to be bent.

Yes, much cheaper places for carpet and headliner. I like ACC's offering of the Mach 1 carpet with the "mass backing". If that will eliminate doing dynamat, I'd be happy (done one car with dynamat). 

Their sample for headliner material was the wrong color(too light). Who has the correct colors and grain pattern?

Here's a picture of the bracket and underside of dash for cowl air inlet plenum.

dsidewirbrkt.jpg

How the heck does the parking brake cable come out of the car? Is the parking brake assembly removable?

pbrkcable.jpg

upload and share image

Brett