Her 72 Mach 1

Unless the pictures isn't showing the damaged Q panel very well it doesn't look that bad...When I had ours in the shop the passenger side Q panel had been hit years ago and had a questionable repair job done and then was hit again. I think mine looked worse then what you have. When I discussed it with the body shop guy he said it was up to me to decide if I wanted to keep the original metal or cut it out and replace with repro panel. For him, the labor was about the same to do either. He was confident that he could get it back real close so I went that route. When he was done it was near perfect, only required a thin skim coat to get it there. At that time I had read a lot about bad fitting panels and I like that idea of not having to cut up the car. Time will tell if it was a good choice... Just something to consider. Most shops now probably don't want take the time to do the hammer & dolly work.

1973 Mustang convertible, F code w/ C4, stock survivor with refresh in progress. Blue glow w/ Blue Comfortweave interior.

Brett,

Congrats on your sobriety, your higher power is surely watching over you during this thing called life.

Your wife must be a wonderful person and definitely deserves her mach 1 completed.

Thanks, Jay

Brett Congratulations!!! on your achievement of 18 months. I lost a very close friend and one  of the finest street Cops I have ever seen due to alcoholism. Having a wife that will stick with you through it all is a blessing!  After everything I have gone through in my career mine never wavered by my side she is the world to me.

Just remember John Wick didn’t kill all those people for a random car. It was a Mustang

Congrantulations for being sober so long, glad to hear that you got your life back and you got a wife that stayed by your side thru all that, that’s beautiful!! Stay focused, spending time on the car will hold you on the right track :)

Daniel ::thumb::

Pro-Touring 1973 Mustang named ''Creator'' ... :P

Under construction!!

Thanks all! Family First! I endeavor to persevere (Chief Dan George).

We have many projects to accomplish while the body is away from home. Even though our shop is small (1000 sq.ft.) I can't get over the huge space we now have available.

The first and biggest project (I think) will be the wire harness sections. I plan to put a sheet or two of plywood on a pair of saw horses where the Mustang sat for 10 years and lay the harness out for inspection and repair. The engine bay harness needs the most attention. The firewall connector/plug was so brittle with age, several pieces crumbled and fell off while unplugging it. That is the biggest problem with the engine harness. I imagine we'll have to buy a whole used harness to get that part.

The underdash harness looks in good condition with minimal hacking for one aftermarket stereo. The Mach 1 is a tach and gauges Mustang. So I hope no major issues are found with this harness.

The door speaker harness is gone from the passenger side (different door) and cut short from the drivers side. I did see while reading another build that a member of this forum has nos set(s), but I imagine those are worth quite a bit. I think it would be nice to locate a factory AM/8 track to finish the "look". But we may just get one of those units that are vintage looking with blue tooth capability as that is what my wife would like to install.

The SEM painting of plastic parts will have to wait for warmer spring weather.

Now would be a good time to make a list of things to do during the Mach 1's absence.

• Like 1

Brett

Brett,

I would suggest that you contact "MidLife" one of our members on the harness refurbishing. Many of the members here have had their wiring harness issues taken care of by him and are pleased with the results.

Thanks, Jay

Thanks a bunch Jay! I found his website. If it looks like I'd be in over my head doing the harness restoration myself, I'll definitely contract it out to Midlife Harness. He'll be the first contact I make to see about a new connector for the engine harness. Or any other parts needed. Thanks again for the tip.

Brett

Which connector ... I have a parts harness, mice chomped on many wires, if I have the right connector it is yours for free

The engine harness underdash connector. It is a tach/gauges optioned Mustang if that makes a difference.THANKS Don!

As a side note I need to put in a sheet metal order later this week or first thing next week Don. In addition I need to solve the problem that was discovered with the passenger rocker panel. It seems there is no reproduction part. Ours isn't rusty, it's bent and dented. If a suitable donor isn't found, it will just need to be "fixed". The body guy said it would be cheaper to replace. He's restored several earlier Mustangs, but no 71-73's and isn't aware of the lack of reproduction parts for this vintage.

Brett

• 2 weeks later...

Bodywork is progressing along nicely. Floor is cut out and epoxy primer applied to the bare steel.

A big shoutout to Don at Ohio Mustang Supply! Thanks to OMS replacement metal is on the way. The excitement in my wife's voice and the expressions on her face are priceless this week.

The journey continues...

IMG-6419.jpg

IMG-6418.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

image2.jpg

• Like 2

Brett

Looking good! The only thing i would be worried about when removing the floor pan in one piece is the structure moving. At the least, i would have welded in some temporary bracing in a X pattern to keep the shell from moving. the floor is an integral part of the structure of the car. Without proper bracing with the floor removed, the car can easily come out of square. If it was on a level frame table/jib it wouldn't be as big of a deal. But if the jack stands were not all level and even then it could have put a small bind in the chassis that you don't see. then when you cut the floor out it lets the body flex and relax onto the jack stands. Then you weld the new pan in and the body is in the relaxed position and no long completely square and now your body is forever slightly tweaked. As long as he keeps it on the stands and doesn't move anything you may be ok. But I would certainly make sure the floor is back in and welded completely before he does any further work on other panels. DO NOT cut out the rockers before the floor is in or that thing will foldup like an accordion.

It looks like he is doing nice work. Clean. I would have him spray the inside of frame rails and torque boxes also with Rust Bullet or something similar.

Keep us posted..... I like this thread!!

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

Brett did he save the brackets off the old floor for...

seat belt mounts in tunnel and all 4 in the rear seat area

L & R sheet metal rails that weld to the floor that the interior plastic quarter panels bolt to

brackets for parking brake

Thanks Kevin! I did ask the bodyman about his process in removing the floor and whether he braced the body or not. His procedure did not involve bracing. He has done several Mustang full floor pans without bracing. Hope all remains squared.

Don I will double check with the bodyshop and make sure he has saved those brackets. Thanks!

Brett

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report on our end. But the bodyshop has done some work.

A thought came to mind since the Mach 1 has been away from home; I removed all fuel and brake lines prior to heading to the body shop. I have to come up with a plan to reinstall fuel feed line and possibly drivers side brake line, BEFORE the drivers fender gets the final installation.

Also the plastic splash shields will need to be addressed. One side is reusable, the other is not(cracked). If I could find a nice "set" I would rather go that route as the one side that is reusable is kinda "old" looking and doubt a coat of SEM paint will help.

IMG-6959.jpg

IMG-6961.jpg

Brett

Definitely got some surgery going on. Did they get the floor pan in before they cut the quarter panel off? That’s alot of structure to have cut out at once with no bracing.

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

Plastic shields, I have all 4 for inside if the fenders

Although any used ones would need a good cleaning and or possibly a coat of dye

Also have the 4 that go in the inside upper front of the fender

Definitely got some surgery going on. Did they get the floor pan in before they cut the quarter panel off? That’s alot of structure to have cut out at once with no bracing.

No they didn't Kevin. Yes it is a lot of structure removed. I have a planned visit to the shop tomorrow.

I have no hands on experience with floor pan removal. But I have read a fair amount on the subject over the years (magazine articles, internet) and recall an episode or two with the tv show that Stacey David did some years ago. Generally just being imersed with car stuff for 30 plus years. That said, I questioned the body shop owner before work began as to whether or not, does he "brace" the body before he cuts the floor out. He had replied something along the lines of; he does not brace the body as the structural integrity of the Mustang lies in the outer structure (perimeter) of the car and further explained that once he places the car on jackstands that the car is not moved until the floor is done. I took that as a learning experience for me, because I thought that bracing is necessary. I figured he's the pro and he has replaced full floors on Mustangs before ours. Buuuuttt, when I saw the picture of the rear quarter panel skin removed I once again became concerned about the effect on body dimensions. I don't want to stress or worry about his work. But with my limited knowledge and no hands on experience it gives me pause. Ignorance can be bliss.

Thanks Don. Sounds like you have more pieces than what we took off. We may be missing some pieces.

Brett

Brett did he save the brackets off the old floor for...

seat belt mounts in tunnel and all 4 in the rear seat area

L & R sheet metal rails that weld to the floor that the interior plastic quarter panels bolt to

brackets for parking brake

Made a visit to the bodyshop today. All those brackets are in the scrap metal dumpster. He said he didn't save them as the older (64-??) Mustang replacement full floor pans come with the brackets. Oh poop.

We also had a discussion about bracing (again). In short: how he is doing our Mustang is how he has done Mustangs before and he is confident in his procedure.

Brett

I have heard that if you remove the steering column and the dash, a full floor pan can fit through the windshield opening without having to fold any parts of it.

I am also unsure why a missing 1/4 skin would contribute to instability when the heavy inner structure is in tact, but I do wonder how he is going to get the floor in and not move the car off the jacks with the passengers side that close to the wall.  There are a lot of Rocker panel welds that need to be done on the top side of the floor pan along the rocker.

kcmash

Bodyshop work coming along nicely. The Dynacorn 1/4 panel gets a quality rating from the bodyman. The trunk to 1/4 gap was all that needed addressing for fit.

IMG-6972.jpg

IMG-6973.jpg

Core support and battery apron tacked in place.

IMG-6974.jpg

Gap work.

IMG-6975.jpg

• Like 1

Brett

Progress looking good!

I am pleased with the progress and the bodyman said it is moving along faster than expected.

But at the same point I am left with a feeling like I cheated on an exam in school. I've spent a lot of time reading other builds on this site and have been and continue to be amazed at the talent and workmanship that others have put into the paint and bodywork on their Mustangs. I do not get the feeling of accomplishment seeing the Mustang being reworked by someone else. I felt good about prepping the Mustang for the bodyshop, but now I am just paying someone else a lot of money to make the Mustang look great. I'm looking forward to getting the Mach 1 back home so my wife and I can get back to work on the restoration.

Brett