You will forget all about that after the many hours of work you still have to do...lol. The car looks like it’s coming along nice. Hope the rest of the body shop work goes smoothly!

John - 72 Q Code

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've enjoyed reading other builds and have learned much about 71-73 Mustangs. I came to this website seeking knowledge and will continue to do so.    I bought the 1972 Mach 1 for my wife 12 years a

Going to the bodyshop today. I put together a 39 page binder with 30 pictures of paint and decal details with 9 tabbed title pages with descriptions. I added some descriptions and details on the pictu

Maybe you could assemble it all electronically and post it in a tutorial, so it is all accessible in one place.   Good job.

Her Mach 1 is moving along nicely. It may be done a whole lot sooner than expected. Even the bodyshop owner is suprised. Hopefully in part it is because we brought him a stripped, rolling shell. The other part is definitely the quality dynacorn parts. I had a good conversation with an experienced bodyman at the shop and he said the drivers 1/4 on my wife's Mach 1 was one of the easiest ones he's done. Another project in the shop (impala) he's working has a 1/4 that is one of the worst and he's sure it isn't a dynacorn part.

Another visit is planned for tomorrow to bring the urethane bumper and interior metal parts.

Some pics

IMG-7187.jpg

IMG-7180.jpg

IMG-7176.jpg

IMG-7177.jpg

IMG-7182.jpg

Brett

Glad things are moving smoothly. Great to hear it is going so fast. I think replacing the entire floor is faster than doing the patches and for sure will be a better job. 

I do not remember if anyone has mentioned that some of the brackets from your old floor has to be taken off and put on the new repo part. The emergency brake bracket is one of them.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Glad things are moving smoothly. Great to hear it is going so fast. I think replacing the entire floor is faster than doing the patches and for sure will be a better job. 

I do not remember if anyone has mentioned that some of the brackets from your old floor has to be taken off and put on the new repo part. The emergency brake bracket is one of them.

The brackets has turned into a "problem" as they were not saved and ended up in the scrap bin.

One rear seat 1/4 plastic side panel bracket was recovered from the bin. Damaged but can be used as somewhat of a template to make 2 new.

Rear seat bottom hold down brackets are gone. We had to order ones meant for older Mustangs. Hope they can be retrofitted.

Currently sorting out the parking brake bracket. Ordered one for another year model and it isn't the same. So I've requested a pic from another member here.

Bodyshop has replaced full floors in older Mustangs before and told us that those repro floors come with brackets. He said that is why ours were not saved when the old floor was cut out.

My first rodeo for this in depth of a restoration. Definitely a first to be paying someone this much money to work on our car. I hope the floor brackets is the worst of this resto.

Brett

You might want to contact 3514boltstang, send him a list of your needs, and see what he has and if he wants to cut all of the brackets off his parts car.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mach-1-parting-out

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Thanks all. I reviewed some pics that were taken after the floor was cut out. It appears the forward drivers side parking brake cable bracket "was" there attatched to the frame rail. Waiting to hear back from the bodyshop if it is still there.

Another member sent pics via PM of the bracket placement. Thanks Vintageman!

The support brackets/nuts for seatbelt mount bolts are apparently included with the reproduction full floor pan.

The bracket for the parking brake cable rod that we bought looks just like the one that is pictured from Vintageman. We'll just have to get that located and attached.

I don't feel like I know a lot about 71-73 Mustangs. But I have learned a bunch since joining this site. So even though I'm paying someone to replace parts on the body and make the whole thing look nice. I'm finding myself "telling" the bodyshop how to put a 72 Mustang back together from time to time.

Brett

• 2 weeks later...

Going to the bodyshop today. I put together a 39 page binder with 30 pictures of paint and decal details with 9 tabbed title pages with descriptions. I added some descriptions and details on the pictures as well.

I could not have put this binder together without this website and the forum members who have done this before and have offered their pictures and advice. I wish I could remember everyone by name who has helped thus far, I can't. So: THANKS TO EVERYBODY HERE AND 7173MUSTANGS.COM!!!

bndrcvr.jpg

bndrpgs.jpg

• Like 1

Brett

Maybe you could assemble it all electronically and post it in a tutorial, so it is all accessible in one place.

Good job.

• Like 1

--Albert Einstein

Maybe you could assemble it all electronically and post it in a tutorial, so it is all accessible in one place.

Good job.

You sir are too kind. Might be good enough if the paint job turns out well.

Brett

• 5 months later...

Still alive! The Rona didn't get us. Life's distractions got in the way, etc...

The Mach 1 is still in bodyshop prison. It has been waiting on final coat of primer since March. I think the youngster with a new business (started last Nov.) made too many promises to too many customers and took on too many projects. That's my opinion.

The financial uncertainty of all things post virus put a stop to further purchasing of Mustang parts. As of this writing my job is still secure. The world changed with a sneeze. So we've been ok with being in limbo with the Mach 1 project.

I'm not "mad" at the bodyshop owner. We did have a good conversation about things back in March. He's got a good head on his shoulders for his age. We think a lot alike. It would have been nice to have had the Mustang home this spring as he started to make us believe earlier this year. But, when we brought the Mustang to his shop wayyy back in December he did say then it would probably be 8 months. As of this writing I'm ok with the Mach 1 getting back in our shop before late fall.

• Like 1

Brett

• 1 month later...

This has been an interesting build to follow, good to hear that you are still alive and making (slow) progress! Yes, the world is a different place then it was at the start of the year...I feel very fortunate to be able to keep working on my project. Even with limited funds I have kept working on the bits and pieces that just take time and don't require any cash to keep it moving so that I can get the car together and do that first start on rebuild engine.....

1973 Mustang convertible, F code w/ C4, stock survivor with refresh in progress. Blue glow w/ Blue Comfortweave interior.

• 1 month later...

Ok folks. The bodyshop FINALLY informed us today that the Mach 1 will see the paint booth next week.

I sure hope all our picture taking during disassembly was sufficient, cuz I feel like so much has been forgotton!

We're planning a visit prior to paint to reaffirm what we want done. I did give him extensive notes. But his line of questioning with my wife today, leads me to believe a visit is necessary. One such question was base/clear or single stage. I know we decided on base/clear but I couldn't remember why. Some back and forth texts resolved that issue.

The excitement is building again. I hope to provide pictures of the final stage before paint. Stay tuned....

Brett

I would take a printed check list when you go talk to him and make sure he reads through it while you're there and leave it with him. That reduces the chance of misunderstanding and "I thought you meant - - - -".

--Albert Einstein

34 minutes ago, Don C said:

I would take a printed check list when you go talk to him and make sure he reads through it while you're there and leave it with him. That reduces the chance of misunderstanding and "I thought you meant - - - -".

Good idea! Thanks

Brett

My last big project was building my 4,000 sq. ft. shop. I typed everything up and made him sign and date of what he was doing and what I was doing. Never had a single issue. I have never taken car to shop so I have not had to do agreement there, lol. You never want to go by word of mouth. He said she said does not cut it in business.
The father to the guy that did my shop got ripped off by a shop that did not have a clue on how to restore his 1940 ford. Huge mess and hes is out double what it should have cost. 

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

• 3 weeks later...