71 Fuel Pump Replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
I am still messing with low/no fuel issue and I am pretty sure the fuel pump quit working.  First off, where is the fuel pump located on a 1971 Mach 1 302?  If it is in or above the tank,, can it be replaced with the mechanical fuel pump mounted on the DS of the engine?  I am a parts and computer guy...not much of a mechanic so I need an easy fix here guys!  LOL!

Its on the drivers side of the motor and takes about 15 minutes to change out. It will probably take longer to clean off the gasket than to actually change the pump. Nothing in the tank except pick up tube and sending unit.

I am still messing with low/no fuel issue and I am pretty sure the fuel pump quit working.  First off, where is the fuel pump located on a 1971 Mach 1 302?  If it is in or above the tank,, can it be replaced with the mechanical fuel pump mounted on the DS of the engine?  I am a parts and computer guy...not much of a mechanic so I need an easy fix here guys!  LOL!
Though I do not promote CJ Pony Parts, attached below is a link on YouTube to show you where it is and how to replace.

Cool, thanks guys!  I don't know why, but I was thinking it was an electric pump in the tank for some reason.  I must have been thinking of the pick up and fuel level sensor. 

I still have some testing to do but I hope is just the pump and not something restricting the flow from the tank forward!

Check your filter(s) as well. If blocked, no fuel. If you replace, don't use glass or plastic filters.... unless you hate your car and want to burn it up!!

Geoff.

Back