Driver Side Mirror

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Sportsroof Bright Red.

Does anyone any pictures or how to instructions on how to disassemble the driver side mirror.  Searched the site but couldn't find anything on it.  Looks like I could take out the two screws on the side of the mirror but I don't want to tear into it and find out I can't get back together.  Wanting to take apart for clean up and paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone any pictures or how to instructions on how to disassemble the driver side mirror.  Searched the site but couldn't find anything on it.  Looks like I could take out the two screws on the side of the mirror but I don't want to tear into it and find out I can't get back together.  Wanting to take apart for clean up and paint.
You can take the two screws out of the inside - the ones holding the mirror swivel assembly in place, then the mirror and swivel with cable can be feed out some. You can't get it all the way out due to the way the cables are crimped at the ends.

You can take the two screws out of the inside - the ones holding the mirror swivel assembly in place, then the mirror and swivel with cable can be feed out some. You can't get it all the way out due to the way the cables are crimped at the ends.

Thanks - I thought that but didn't want to do it and find out that it was a no no to do.  lol!

I got the 3 cables off of the other end at the swivel. It's been a few years but I can take a picture to show you what I'm talking about!
Each cable end should be color coded with a daub of paint (might be faded / dirty).  Ferrules at the ends slip into a notch and all are held in place with a small (but strong) spring -- don't lose the spring!  I would recommend placing fresh color code on each cable end to make re-assembly easier.  Try not to break anything since as I recall the swivel housing is pot-metal.

I got the 3 cables off of the other end at the swivel. It's been a few years but I can take a picture to show you what I'm talking about!

If not to much trouble please do.  I have the mirror out of the housing and the base off the housing but its all  still together by the cables.  If I can get them off it would make it a lot easier to paint.

I'll mark the cables as Bill73ragtop suggest and will be careful of the springs and pot metal. 

Thanks guys.

Much appriciated.

Okay, had to take a new picture. Here we are looking at the 3 ends where the knob goes. The ferrules are most likely stuck in their grooves so you gotta be patient and start with one of the 3 cables that is NOT getting pulled on (depending how your swivel sits, if that makes sense). You can use some needle nose pliers by grabbing one wire and gently pulling on it while pushing the swivel towards the cable you're working on. My ferrules weren't color coded and it does not matter how you are putting it back together! Hope this helps!

Interesting info here, thanks for posting.

As some might remember, I posted some time ago on making a much larger convex passenger side mirror and also a larger flat driver's side one that was only two-face taped over the existing mirror. I did this simply because I had no idea how to disassemble that mirror base, but now I know. 

Geoff.

Okay, had to take a new picture. Here we are looking at the 3 ends where the knob goes. The ferrules are most likely stuck in their grooves so you gotta be patient and start with one of the 3 cables that is NOT getting pulled on (depending how your swivel sits, if that makes sense). You can use some needle nose pliers by grabbing one wire and gently pulling on it while pushing the swivel towards the cable you're working on. My ferrules weren't color coded and it does not matter how you are putting it back together! Hope this helps!
OK - not having any luck.  Tried the way you said . The ends are tuck under the center below the knob where my pick is at.  See pic.  I'm unable to get the end out from there.  Looks like I need to remove the knob and push them out if the center hole goes through. The knob is tight and  I'm afraid I will brake it if I twist any harder.   

Also, how much did you have to spread open the casting where the cable housing is pinched in.   Leary of breaking this also.   I think I'm just going to tape and wrap everything real good and paint.

Oops - Forgot pictures.

Do NOT try to pry on it, you will break it! If I remember correctly I pulled on the protective springs (these are like sleeves and they move) looking outer part of the actual wires, try to pull on them one at a time and as soon as you get the first one off the others will come off a lot easier than the first one. While pulling you can try to move the adjuster, you will get it out!

OK - This is "Not A" going to come apart. Sorry, couldn't help myself. lol. I tried again this morning as you said to do in the above post and still no luck. The outer spring sheathing will not move. I tried numerous way and no luck. The pot metal on the remote has some corrosion and I think this is part of the problem. The mirror works fine.

I went ahead and stripped it and dropped it off at the shop that is painting the car.

Good thing out of this is there is a post now with some pictures on how to take the remote apart.

Thanks for all the info and help.

Back