need some opinions on 2 post lift

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87fox72mach

Reaction score
My Car
1995 firebird rebuilt motor 5 spd dail driver
1987 grand wagoneer plow truck
1987 mustang lx 5.0 work custom engine bay and paint
1972 mach 1 project
even though my car is done im always working on something and have my foxbody that I will be tearing into soon.  I want to take the leap and get a 2 post lift for my garage   right now my floors is 4.5" thick so im thinking I will have to cut out some large pads and get some thicker concrete poured   im looking at 9k lb lifts nothing super fancy  but has anyone had luck with eagle, atlas, challenger or danmar lifts? just wanna hear some non biased feedback as lots of misinformation on the internet  thx in advance

Depending on what is in the concrete for rebar and what PSI rating you might be ok with the 4.5"

I purchased a lift this spring. I was between a two post and 4 post and ended up going with a 4 post and a trolley jack (best of both worlds). Mine is a Dominator lift 8k capacity. I have had zero issues with it. I also like the fact that it has a caster systems that you can put on it when there isn't a car on it and move it around. It is 110v 20 amp regular plug in so not hard wired. Attached a couple pics. One is a car on it and the other is showing the trolley jack when I was swapping out leaf springs and installing CalTracs. All in is cost me just under $4k delivered, set up, and 5 yr warranty.

nice setup I never knew that kind of jack was possible on 4 pots. I always wondered why anyone would want a 4 post since u cant take off the wheels easily but now I see how they can be beneficial

Plus you can store a car on it in the air and park another under it without leaving the suspension hanging. Mine came with three drip trays and an additional jack tray that you can put a bottle jack in as well. The Trolley Jack was an add on item.

Not to mention you don't have to worry about the whole balancing act of how to place the arms on a two-poster.

4-post drive-on with dual trolley jacks for me, please.  ::thumb::

I used 2 post lifts at a friend who used to have a shop i cant remember ever having an issue with pad placement but i can see your point. 4k is a little steep right now although i do like the concept.

I worked on an asymmetrical two post lift for years. The only vehicles that were an issue for balance were trucks, after you lifted a couple you knew where to put them. I had a couple tall stands that were kept handy, just to stabilize vehicles for heavy work.

The shop had all BendPak lifts, which were pretty nice. Rotary also makes a nice lift. What you don't want is one of the cheapo lifts at that $1500 "nice price" with Harbor Freight quality. This should be a one and done purchase, and you only get one life.

im realizing that I don't mind spending some extra cash as an insurance policy its hard to decipher what online is true meaning which brands are made in the usa and are tested. I found some are ali certified which im guessing is worth paying the extra money for them?

Hi

I have a 4 post (storage and lift needs to second floor) and a 2 post in the work garage. I use the 2 post 99% of the time for any car any work.

In the case of your concrete, There is a difference in "drilling for red dogs" and fixing via SWEDGE and DRILLING ALL THE WAY through and allowing the keeper to go below the entire pad!

Mark

P.S. Also depending on the LOOK you have to have in your life.......used 2 posts are available often . Trick is to take the money you save and have an INSTALLER do the job ! (Most people would install wrong) Need 6% inward tilt empty for under cables. I don't know about over bar - which is what is being sold today (too high for my small garage -so I cut the towers at 9 feet)

I will be honest I looked at a lot of online stuff as well as used in craigslist etc. I decided to go new from a local guy here in Iowa. He supplies a lot of dealerships as well as hobby guys. When it all came down to it the price was about the same if I had ordered online than paid someone to install it. I do plan to add a second trolley jack at some point as suggested by Mister 4x4.

Ive researched this alot as well. From what I see, you cant go wrong with a Bendpak unit. They are only a little bit more expensive than the cheaper lifts. Something that is going to be an eminent threat to your life needs to be from someone with a good reputation, and I dont mind paying a bit more for it. Its your life, dont lose it over $500.

On the concrete and anchor thing, I would pay very close attention to the directions and recommendations of the manufacturer. Personally, Im going to go big on the concrete pads when the foundation is poured for my garage/shop. Im going to go with 3'x3' x 16" deep with lots of deep rebar and mid rebar pinning way back into the regular slab along with 2 layers of pavement mesh.

For anchors, Im going to get 12" long anchors at least 1" in diameter if not larger. Ive anchored lots of very large (50' tall) Tanks with 2" wedge anchor and never had a failure. If your really paranoid and want to add a touch more safety, have a welding shop weld on some 12 inch extensions (front to back) the same thickness as the lift Foot with 2 more anchor points on each side.

Back