Correct Rag joint for 73 please

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Lares 201 will fit with a non-tilt column (not sure if it works with a tilt column or not) and power steering, I just did mine. I unbolted the column on the inside, then I was able to kinda smack the column to make it collapse some to install the new rag joint. I took so long over analyzing it and when putting it together, it really only took about 15 minutes or so. Good luck and don't over analyze it.

Tom

The Lares 201 will fit with a non-tilt column (not sure if it works with a tilt column or not) and power steering, I just did mine. I unbolted the column on the inside, then I was able to kinda smack the column to make it collapse some to install the new rag joint. I took so long over analyzing it and when putting it together, it really only took about 15 minutes or so.  Good luck and don't over analyze it.

Tom
My is not a tilt. I'm also at a point where everything in my engine bay is apart. The power steering box is already off. Does that coupler just pull right off?

The Lares 201 will fit with a non-tilt column (not sure if it works with a tilt column or not) and power steering, I just did mine. I unbolted the column on the inside, then I was able to kinda smack the column to make it collapse some to install the new rag joint. I took so long over analyzing it and when putting it together, it really only took about 15 minutes or so.  Good luck and don't over analyze it.

Tom
My is not a tilt. I'm also at a point where everything in my engine bay is apart. The power steering box is already off. Does that coupler just pull right off?
 Take the pinch bolt out first!! Only joking, but yes it should just pull off. It may be a bit rusted so some penetrating oil would be beneficial. Clean the splines of course before replacing the Lares 201. I'm not 100% sure, but on mine I placed the cross-over plate, held by the two bolts, over the pinch bolt to stop any possibility of it coming out. The head of that bolt will be on top when you reassemble to the column. Lots has been written lately on this in other posts.

Geoff.

Tom
 Take the pinch bolt out first!! Only joking, but yes it should just pull off. It may be a bit rusted so some penetrating oil would be beneficial. Clean the splines of course before replacing the Lares 201. I'm not 100% sure, but on mine I placed the cross-over plate, held by the two bolts, over the pinch bolt to stop any possibility of it coming out. The head of that bolt will be on top when you reassemble to the column. Lots has been written lately on this in other posts.

Geoff.
Thanks, I'll try to find those. I did see in a recent post about how the stock one is not perfectly round and has a flat spot as a guide kind of. How does it work with the new one being perfectly round? Again, it might all just make sense when I see it off. Now that I know it's probably more rusted on rather than bolted I'll just pop it off.

Geoff.
Thanks, I'll try to find those. I did see in a recent post about how the stock one is not perfectly round and has a flat spot as a guide kind of. How does it work with the new one being perfectly round? Again, it might all just make sense when I see it off. Now that I know it's probably more rusted on rather than bolted I'll just pop it off.
 The Lares 201 is the same as the original 13/16" diam. with the flat. The Lares 202 (I think) is 3/4" diam. and is round. 

This picture will show you the input shaft on the Saginaw 800 PS box on the Mustang.

Does anyone know exactly what size and spline the steering input shaft for the rag joint I need? The 201 is definitely too small with the hole that's on that metal piece. I've found a 202 that doesn't have the metal strap going across. The selection is 3/4 30, 3/4 36 and 13/16 36. My car is factory power steering, 351c and non tilt. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious - did you try mounting the Lares 201 coupler? There are at least a half dozen folks on this forum running that coupler on non tilt 71-73's equipped with power steering running it.

It isn't exactly the same as the OEM unit, but it as close as it gets right now for a safe substitute. No one makes a coupler with the 9/16" and 5/16" locating pin combo that is 13/16"-36 spline. Well that isn't totally true, Scott Drake makes one, but the pins are so short that they wouldn't actually couple your steering column to your steering box if the rubber/fiber disk failed. The Scott Drake ones look good, but I don't understand how they still sell them since they would provide no steering if the disk failed…

I think the pins on the Lares 201 are 3/8" / 3/8", and are plenty long.

Just curious - did you try mounting the Lares 201 coupler?  There are at least a half dozen folks on this forum running that coupler on non tilt 71-73's equipped with power steering running it.

It isn't exactly the same as the OEM unit, but it as close as it gets right now for a safe substitute.  No one makes a coupler with the 9/16" and 5/16" locating pin combo that is 13/16"-36 spline.  Well that isn't totally true, Scott Drake makes one, but the pins are so short that they wouldn't actually couple your steering column to your steering box if the rubber/fiber disk failed.  The Scott Drake ones look good, but I don't understand how they still sell them since they would provide no steering if the disk failed…

Bentworker is 100% correct here. I am running the Lars 201 on a 73 with 351C and power steering. Keep in mind the different diameter pin on the factory piece was for easy clocking on the assembly line for the workers.

You're the man Don. Thanks

Just curious - did you try mounting the Lares 201 coupler?  There are at least a half dozen folks on this forum running that coupler on non tilt 71-73's equipped with power steering running it.

It isn't exactly the same as the OEM unit, but it as close as it gets right now for a safe substitute.  No one makes a coupler with the 9/16" and 5/16" locating pin combo that is 13/16"-36 spline.  Well that isn't totally true, Scott Drake makes one, but the pins are so short that they wouldn't actually couple your steering column to your steering box if the rubber/fiber disk failed.  The Scott Drake ones look good, but I don't understand how they still sell them since they would provide no steering if the disk failed…

To be honest no. I was looking that the size of the input vs the hole on the metal bracket of the coupler. No way that looks like it will go over.

I guess as expected the factory coupler didn't want to come off easily and I needed steering to move the car out of my garage. So I just bolted my updated steering box to the original rag joint and figured I'd revisit this for when I pull the steering box out again. Looks like I need to add some good WD40 or something.

I was doing some catch up on posts and saw this one.

I scanned and posted the Chassis Assembly manual that Ford used for the steering. It shows the same coupling for both tilt and non tilt columns. It does show putting an assembly assist pin through the coupling to bow the rubber on the tilt install I believe. I will go find the old threat and post link when I find it. 

I used rag joint from the Help rack at Advance Auto Parts. It was a Dorman brand do not remember the number. I have tilt with PS and the kit does not include the coupling so you have to use your old one. It has new bolt in safety pins. You have to take the old one apart. I have no play in steering and probably put 2,000 miles on it.

Ok I went back and found the post that I put the scans of the Osborne published Ford 

Chassis manual in. They are difficult to read in person the scan is as good as I can do. 

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-centering-my-steering?highlight=rag+joint

Last edited by a moderator:
Back