Battery Size

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helicopter

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang, 351 Cleveland 2bbl. vinyl roof.
1973 Mustang

351 Cleveland 2V

Hi All;

I need a new Battery for my old 'Tang.  The tray appears to be the size of a 27F bat.

I've been looking around town for an exact fit but it appears technology has marched on and those size bats a a bit rare and for specialty use.

I would like to keep it "stock" but that may not be possible.

Also, I would like to pay a little less than a fortune for a battery.

What is the best battery for the '73?

any ideas or suggestions.

Roy

The 24F was the standard with the 27F optional and for the big blocks. Either will do. Like anything else, price is going to depend on brand and warranty. I got mine at a Rural King. 675 cca - 12 month free replacement - 5 year limited warranty. Cost $65. I have a 460 and with the 27F that is 2 years old and going strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 24F was the standard with the 27F optional and for the big blocks.  Either will do.  Like anything else, price is going to depend on brand and warranty.  I got mine at a Rural King.  675 cca - 12 month free replacement -  5 year limited warranty.  Cost $65.  I have a 460 and with the 27F  that is 2 years old and going strong.
That is crazy cheap.  Luckily there is one a few miles from me....unluckily i won't need it for a year or more.  Now i know.  Thx for the heads up ::thumb::

I'm running a Walmart Everstart Plus 24F, which is about six years old. It replaced the ten year old Optima that finally gave up the ghost. Has given me zero issues even though it sits in the garage all winter, hooked up as normal without a tender or any fooks given. They're under $100 here. To be honest, I used to run them all the time in whatever junker I was driving back in my twenties and had no issues then either.

FWIW, Home Depot and BJs carry Exide batteries and the mid range 24F runs about $100.

The 24F was the standard with the 27F optional and for the big blocks.  Either will do.  Like anything else, price is going to depend on brand and warranty.  I got mine at a Rural King.  675 cca - 12 month free replacement -  5 year limited warranty.  Cost $65.  I have a 460 and with the 27F  that is 2 years old and going strong.
That is crazy cheap.  Luckily there is one a few miles from me....unluckily i won't need it for a year or more.  Now i know.  Thx for the heads up ::thumb::
Not as good of a warranty as others and has lower cca but for the price I figured I give it a try.  Car is not a daily driver so I can't say how well they will hold up with a lot of charging discharge cycles.  So far it has preformed well with no complaints.  Will see what the next few years bring.

1973 Mustang

351 Cleveland 2V

Hi All;

I need a new Battery for my old 'Tang.  The tray appears to be the size of a 27F bat.

I've been looking around town for an exact fit but it appears technology has marched on and those size bats a a bit rare and for specialty use.

I would like to keep it "stock" but that may not be possible.

Also, I would like to pay a little less than a fortune for a battery.

What is the best battery for the '73?

any ideas or suggestions.

Roy
I had the exact same problem. I had a 24F in a 27F tray and wanted to replace the 24F, but also wanted to have a 24F tray so it would look neater. After much brain damage trying to find a 24F tray, I just went with a 27F and it looks fine...…….

Back