Nice to know we're being watched!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
Hmmm, makes one wonder how private (well, private is pushing it!) what we post on here really is.

Recently, I mentioned in a post, how well I thought Eastwood products worked for me when I did my under hood and other stuff.

Now shortly after, I'm being inundated with ads from Eastwood on my Facebook page (not the forum page). This is in addition to other suppliers who often target me with their ads.

I must admit, some stuff is interesting and useful, but most is just an annoyance.

We're being watched!!

Geoff.

I don't believe it's the website, but whatever browser you're using tracks every key stroke. Google Chrome is probably the worst one, Google's sole existence depends on advertising and selling information. And, Google has an advertising relationship with Facebook. If you're using your same name on Facebook as here, that makes it even easier for them to track you down.

I don't believe it's the website, but whatever browser you're using tracks every key stroke. Google Chrome is probably the worst one, Google's sole existence depends on advertising and selling information. And, Google has an advertising relationship with Facebook. If you're using your same name on Facebook as here, that makes it even easier for them to track you down.
 Interesting Don. Thanks for your insight.

I do use Chrome as well as Internet Explorer and Edge. I run this forum through Edge and now you mention it, I think Edge tracks keystrokes as well because G Mail always seems to have a ready answer to everything. Hate it! Like someone's watching over my shoulder. No, I don't use the same user on Facebook as here, but apparently that doesn't matter much.

I just thought I'd mention that it seems like we're being spied on all the time. That's just not right, but unfortunately the world we live in now.

Geoff.

I agree, I'm in the process of switching over to Outlook from Gmail. My tablet is Android so I know every move I make is watched, even though I use FireFox for my browser, due to the deluge of advertising from Google every time I browse for something on my tablet. I had an iPad, but couldn't stand Apple's proprietary b.s. Now, I'm looking at a tablet that uses Windows.

I agree, I'm in the process of switching over to Outlook from Gmail. My tablet is Android so I know every move I make is watched, even though I use FireFox for my browser, due to the deluge of advertising from Google every time I browse for something on my tablet. I had an iPad, but couldn't stand Apple's proprietary b.s. Now, I'm looking at a tablet that uses Windows.
 I do use Outlook, but it's 10 years old and I can't afford the ridiculous price to upgrade to Office 2019 (or whatever the latest version is) now the wife has retired and I can't get it for free!! Yeah, I know, I'm a cheapskate.

As I've said many times, computer "stuff" is way over my head, Give me tools anytime!

Not knowing what browser anyone is using, the general idea is to go into your browser Settings and change the Search engine preference. I use DuckDuckGo (there are other privacy-oriented search engines; this is just the one I picked). If you are on a portable iOS (iPad, iPhone) or Android device, there is a DuckDuckGo app that substitutes it's own browser.

For me on MacOS with Safari, it's Safari from the top menu bar, then Preferences from the pull-down, then choose "Search" from the options. A pull-down list should show you the choices available in your browser.

(Now trying to find the equivalent on my Windows machine with the Edge browser)

If you're using Microsoft Edge:

enter "https://duckduckgo.com" in your address bar. In my case, DuckDuckGo opened with an instruction page for changing the default search to DuckDuckGo. It's important to be on the search-engine webpage you want to change to before starting the procedure, whichever search engine you change to..

https://duckduckgo.com/install?t=h_

Not knowing what browser anyone is using, the general idea is to go into your browser Settings and change the Search engine preference.  I use DuckDuckGo (there are other privacy-oriented search engines; this is just the one I picked).  If you are on a portable iOS (iPad, iPhone) or Android device, there is a DuckDuckGo app that substitutes it's own browser.

For me on MacOS with Safari, it's Safari from the top menu bar, then Preferences from the pull-down, then choose "Search" from the options.  A pull-down list should show you the choices available in your browser.

(Now trying to find the equivalent on my Windows machine with the Edge browser)
 I'll have to look into that as an option. Like I said, I'm as dumb as a stump when it comes to computer stuff, so any help and/or guidance is most welcome.

I'm just getting tired of being a "target" for unwanted advertising. It's a breach of privacy as far as I'm concerned plus the not knowing of who is gathering all my data.

Geoff.

Back