Fold Down Seat removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1 (wife's)
While prepping for bodywork/paint we are removing the fold down rear seat and associated brackets.

We can't figure out how to remove the trap door interior upper panel. The center panel at the bottom of the back window. There were visible screws that are removed, but at a stopping point now and not sure if it is removable. Or should we remove it at all?

Thanks

Brett

While prepping for bodywork/paint we are removing the fold down rear seat and associated brackets.

We can't figure out how to remove the trap door interior upper panel. The center panel at the bottom of the back window. There were visible screws that are removed, but at a stopping point now and not sure if it is removable. Or should we remove it at all?

Thanks

Brett

I left mine in, just masked the headliner & glass to prevent overspray & gave it a dose of satin black like everything else.   Pull the sail panels as well if you haven't already done.

PKJ

It does come out. Can't remember but I think rear window has to be out first. There are about 3 or 4 screws on the top by the window. If i'm right just remember to put it back in first.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does come out.  Can't remember but I think rear window has to be out first.  There are about 3 or 4 screws on the top by the window.  If i'm right just remember to put it back in first.
Kinda what we figured. No other visible hardware and it isn't welded in, so it must be another component that requires installation prior to the windows.

It does come out.  Can't remember but I think rear window has to be out first.  There are about 3 or 4 screws on the top by the window.  If i'm right just remember to put it back in first.
Kinda what we figured. No other visible hardware and it isn't welded in, so it must be another component that requires installation prior to the windows.
And you have the heated rear window.  Have a look for recent posts about being very careful when you disconnect this.  There are a couple of very delicate wiring components which you will need to preserve.

Take it easy.

And you have the heated rear window.  Have a look for recent posts about being very careful when you disconnect this.  There are a couple of very delicate wiring components which you will need to preserve.

Take it easy.

Yes, verrrrry careful. The wiring connector that is connected to the terminals on the window will stay connected. For the negative side (passenger) there is a disconnect at about 18" and a body ground. For the positive side (drivers) there are 2 disconnects one at about 18" and another at about 30", currently disconnected at 30". We are hoping to tape the wires to the backside of the window. This reminds me, I should hook up an ohm meter and see if there is continuity.

We will revisit the trim panel when the window comes out and hope to find an answer on its removal from someone here. I did a search and found conversion posts but nothing definitive. We have plenty to do in the meantime prepping for the bodyshop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brett,

I didn't take this panel out but it slides in under the metal strip under the window rubber. Only the 4 screws in the front holding it in. Probably easier said than done to slide it out with  the rubber, sealant, etc.

A couple of pics if that helps.

David

Back