73 Mustang Noob

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da55

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Fastback 351 V8
Good Evening Yall,

New member from Texas, bought my life-long dream car last week. Its a 73 Mustamg Fastback, I fell in love with the Mustang-Mach 1 from 71-73 when i was 10. Fast forward 18 years later, i have one of my own. I have H code engine, seems to match the VIN and car. Have a handful of rust and some work to do on the body, interior and some mechanical work. But for 3k and driving, its perfect for me. Im so in love with this car, its unreal. Anyway, looking forward to learning from everyone here and posting progress.

Question: how do i know what exact engine i have? I have the engine serial from the block, been having issues finding one answer, do i have a 351 Windsor or Cleveland?

Thanks!

IMG_20191012_120258358.jpg01414_P3hK1DgLog_1200x900.jpg

That casting number is for a 351M based on one source I looked at. Not sure. I need to learn more since 351M was not made until 1975 per another source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Evening Yall,

New member from Texas, bought my life-long dream car last week. Its a 73 Mustamg Fastback, I fell in love with the Mustang-Mach 1 from 71-73 when i was 10. Fast forward 18 years later, i have one of my own. I have H code engine, seems to match the VIN and car. Have a handful of rust and some work to do on the body, interior and some mechanical work. But for 3k and driving, its perfect for me. Im so in love with this car, its unreal. Anyway, looking forward to learning from everyone here and posting progress.

Question: how do i know what exact engine i have? I have the engine serial from the block, been having issues finding one answer, do i have a 351 Windsor or Cleveland?

Thanks!

Welcome fellow Texan from Houston!

That number is the intake manifold casting number, and is consistent with a 351C, 2-barrel (H code) engine

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/d3ae-9425-ca.html

The engine casting number is located above the starter. A partial VIN will be located at the rear driver's side of the engine block, right below the head gasket, and will match the car VIN, if it's the original engine.

And, welcome from Oregon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. I have some research to do. Happy to be here and learn!

quick way to tell 351c from windsor is the upper radiator hose comes from the engine block on the 351c, it comes from the intake manifold on a windsor engine.

351c and 351m-400 can be identified by the height of the bottom of the intake manifold behind the distributor. If the bottom of the manifold is almost even with the distributor mounting surface, it is a cleveland, if it is higher, it is a 351m-400 engine. Google 351m images and look.

Welcome to the Mustang world. 

All 351 engines in USA cars were cleveland. Only Mexican got the 351 windsor. H code was 2 -V and M, R or Q code was 4-V. Check the rear of the block just below the head on the drivers side for partial VIN# for a numbers matching car. If not matching take 50% of value. Just the way it is in the car world.

Back