Finally Painted!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
70 Maverick Grabber w/351W & Toploader
71 Mach 1 w/ 429 & T56
Well, here she is!  Has taken quite a while to get the project to this point, but finally.  This is me loading the car onto the trailer the day we picked it up form my painter (as well as a few shots of the wip).  Still missing the stickers and decals...those will come last.  Oh, and please ignore the shop wheels...still covered in slag/dust/whatever else they were exposed to when I brought this thing back from the dead.  Next step is to begin the custom wiring and assemble the interior.  Big Block build will start in the Spring.  

Marc

https://ibb.co/RcgmVYM[/URL]https://carinsuranceguru.org/does-each-driver-need-car-insurance-or-just-each-cardo you need insurance to drive

Hey Marc, finally posted on the wonderful progress. It's going to be an awesome car when finished and as mentioned before well done.

Happy Columbus Day and/or Thanksgiving (Canada)

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. Now it's time to put all back in with white hand gloves! :D

I see your hood blackout has another kind of curves than you usually see. They are actually following nicely the metal shape.

I think I'll do something similar on mine too, where curves are natural vs obvious 1/4 circles totally off the shape.

Was it made freehand?

Enjoy!

Really nice looking. Looks like the bottom pin stripe line is on. Did they paint it or use a tape? I'm waiting on mine from the paint shop also. Can't wait to get it back.

Very nice. Now it's time to put all back in with white hand gloves! :D

I see your hood blackout has another kind of curves than you usually see. They are actually following nicely the metal shape.

I think I'll do something similar on mine too, where curves are natural vs obvious 1/4 circles totally off the shape.

Was it made freehand?

Enjoy!
Yep...no kidding.  I've purchased a bunch of thick felt blankets to cover the car when I'm working on it.  Will have to be very careful for sure.  

The hood blackout was done freehand.  I provided a few sketches of some different cars, as well as info from the 7173 cougar megasite and my painter did his own thing from there.  

Thx for the compliment.

Really nice looking.  Looks like the bottom pin stripe line is on.  Did they paint it or use a tape?  I'm waiting on mine from the paint shop also.  Can't wait to get it back.
Bottom pin stripe is painted.  My painter didn't want anything to do with the pin stripe in the sticker kit.  I was fine with that.  I'm not building this car to win any concours original shows.  Just want it to look like an original.

Awesome!! I like the painted pin stripe. Stocking up on great ideas on this site. I should make a list (felt blankets, painted pin stripe, etc.).

Are your fenders staying put for the engine install? (hunting for ideas)

Awesome!! I like the painted pin stripe.  Stocking up on great ideas on this site. I should make a list (felt blankets, painted pin stripe, etc.).

Brett, I'm ready for my engine install, wiring, hoses,etc. I had the mudguards temporarily attached but found it a long reach into the engine bay. Took them off again and will complete as much under hood before fitting them again and final painting.

David

Awesome!! I like the painted pin stripe.  Stocking up on great ideas on this site. I should make a list (felt blankets, painted pin stripe, etc.).

Yes - that's the intention.  I will have to remove the hood, but the rest is going to stay put.  I don't know if you have ever gapped a car before, but it will absolutely drive you nuts if you don't know when to cut it off.  shifting panels from side to side, back and forth, etc...I asked my painter to do it when he put stuff back together - to the best of his ability.  I'm happy with it, so I'd like to keep it the way it is.  We've had the engine in and out a bunch of times already, and even with the fenders on, wasn't much much of a hassle.

Yes - that's the intention.  I will have to remove the hood, but the rest is going to stay put.  I don't know if you have ever gapped a car before, but it will absolutely drive you nuts if you don't know when to cut it off.  shifting panels from side to side, back and forth, etc...I asked my painter to do it when he put stuff back together - to the best of his ability.  I'm happy with it, so I'd like to keep it the way it is.  We've had the engine in and out a bunch of times already, and even with the fenders on, wasn't much much of a hassle.
Thanks.

I've never gapped a car before, but it sounds like what I assumed; once the front sheet metal and doors have been aligned, leave it be. I'll have to invent a force field generator as our project will take time for the mechanicals after paint.

Car looks great, it will look even better when you start adding all the trim! Ryan

Thanks.

I've never gapped a car before, but it sounds like what I assumed; once the front sheet metal and doors have been aligned, leave it be. I'll have to invent a force field generator as our project will take time for the mechanicals after paint.

When you develop that, let know.  I'd buy one!  

Looks great and I don't want to be critical, but is that orange peel in your 2nd picture?
The pics of it in the paint booth were right after shooting...so, yeah, there is peel.  This was intentional.  We wanted to lay the base down thick to allow for the paint to be cut after.  The final product has all been cut and is smooth as glass.

Hey Marc, finally posted on the wonderful progress. It's going to be an awesome car when finished and as mentioned before well done.

Happy Columbus Day and/or Thanksgiving (Canada)

Geoff.
Hey Geoff - thank you sir!  Appreciate the compliments...and appreciate the help and advise along the way!  It has been invaluable.

Back