3-Speed manual clutch change advice needed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IstoT

Reaction score
Howdy,

My 71's Mach 1 clutch shakes when releasing it (cold more than warm) and I'm thinking to change clutch and fly wheel. Also I need to repair my gearbox some day.

I can't do it by myself because I have no place where to do it so I want to get information how big work it could be (= how expensive).

1. Can it be done without removing engine..ie. can gearbox removed underneath so clutch can changed under the car

- If no need to remove engine then I don't need to make both repairs (clutch and gearbox) in same time because then work is not showing big part of the job

2. 48 year old car..is it best to think change that flywheel in same time when clutch disk is changed

3. what other parts is better change in same time

I have googled a lot but haven't find any book for 3-speed manual gearbox overhaul...only for automatics and 4-speed manuals.

If there is book for it I would like know where to get one..:).

Any other advice is welcomed..

With the car properly supported on jack stands high enough to access the transmission & bell-housing it can be done in a driveway (which is what many of us have done).

Remove driveshaft (check u-joints while you have it out), unbolt linkage, support rear of engine (blocks under oil pan will work), remove transmission (use jack and associate to balance it), remove bell-housing - then remove clutch assembly. Have flywheel resurfaced while it's out. New clutch and throw-out bearing will be needed. Clutch plate alignment tool will be needed (and torque wrench) It's not a difficult or lengthy job. Aside from re-surfacing the flywheel, it can be done in couple hours.

Service manual / Haynes manuals should already be in your reference library to read up on the procedure. If not, start with them.

I would not be able to tell you costs in your area. The gear box is easily removed from under the car. I pulled the FMX out of mine by hand while on jack stands in my garage, it was quite heavy while pulling on out laying on your back. On average if you have shop pull, install new clutch and flywheel and reinstall trans around here you are looking at around $750+ in labor plus the rebuild cost on the trans and any parts. Hope this helps.

Ford shop manual reprint

https://www.npdlink.com/search/products?search_terms=shop%2Bmanual&top_parent=200001&year=1971

Haynes service manual

https://www.amazon.com/Haynes-Publications-36048-Repair-Manual/dp/0856963577/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=haynes+mustang&qid=1571145401&sr=8-1

The Ford manual has all the service procedures, including the rebuilding of the 3spd and 4spd manuals. The Haynes is pretty good too, but the Ford is obviously much more in depth.

I've attached a couple pages from the Haynes manual and the clutch exploded view from the MPC. The three speed is not a heavy transmission, two people could do it quite easily, one as long as you are not a flaccid 90lb waif, anyone could do it with a transmission jack.

Clutch chatter is usually caused by contamination on the disc itself. Could be from a leaking intake or valve cover, rear main seal or the transmission itself. Could also be that the disc is starting to fail, worn out clutch linkages or failing motor mounts. Easiest fix to try is a new set of motor mounts.

Howdy,

Thx all of you informations...:)...need them cause I'm just beginner with old cars (have had 35 years between 70's cars..my first one was Ford Taunus 1.7L 1970 and few other 70's..and now this lovely Mach 1)

Glad to know that there is no need to get engine out so it will be manage able cost also here in Finland...I think parts will be 500-600 euros and labor other 300-400 euros so it could be around 800-1000 euros. Also cut overhauling in two parts would help me little..even I know it's not best way to do it. Glad that I have hole winter to make last decision what to do. But thx to all you now I know what to except.

I rely like the idea to make work by myself but i'm 55 years old..never done overhauls like this..have no good tools and my yard is from sand (difficult to transfer gearbox backwards with lift jack). Hope I some day have better place or joined local group which will have place where do overhauling.

I forgot that I have Shop manual as pdf. It's not well done..even I bought it from Mre-books so prolly I need to buy real book...both of them.

Back