Windshield glass options / tint?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.
So- my windshield was wadded up and tossed into the trash bin about 2 years ago by myself.

How does one identify what “tint” is correct for the car?

I’d like to use Carlite glass, but the only ones I can find are “green”. 

How do identify what glass I do have to see if it is a match?

first u need to check with your local DMV or something before u buy any tinted glass... in delaware u FAIL inspection of any tint on the front.. clear only
There is tinted, and then there very tinted. The second I can understand why. So your saying cars back then, ordered with A/C must have clear glass only, or are you saying a replacement windshield that's very tinted at the top only is a no-no?

I just bought a regular repro windshield.  Get the Tinted for 71 and I  don't think you can go wrong.

I believe the auto glass companies have a specification from DOT that they have to follow for the car.

kcmash

The second is the correct windshield for a tinted glass car. It may not seem like it, but the tinted glass makes a huge difference.

The first one is so cheap because no one wants them... ;)

I’ll get the Carlite one- now to open the checkbook wide to cover truck freight.
I have gotten auto glass for our old cars (order) from independent installers. I always do my own work, so make it clear to them.  They could make you a better deal (maybe) on the total price.

Did you read the vehicle application for each one? It state that carlite is for a coupe or convertible and the non carlite is for fastback. Don't know what the difference is but you may want to call them and find out. I also checked on CJpony and the show the same thing as far as different windshields for the coupe/ vert vs fb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you read the vehicle application for each one?  It state that carlite is for a coupe or convertible and the  non carlite is for fastback.  Don't know what the difference is but you may want to call them and find out. I also checked on CJpony and the show the same thing as far as different windshields for the coupe/ vert vs fb.

My my car is a Coupe so I should be good to go with the Carlite glass.  I actually did not read the description on the generic glass- good catch on it being Fastback only.

So- my windshield was wadded up and tossed into the trash bin about 2 years ago by myself.

All 72-73 convertibles came with tinted side glass and a windshield with the sunvisor tinted across the top. Hardtop models came standard with clear glass ( Not sure what was standard on a Grande). The tinted glass has a greenish color to it. I believe any model ordered with tinted (side) glass also had the sunvisor windshield. I don't know if this was also the same for the 71 model year.

Carlite was the Ford manufacturer and PPG manufacturered replacement glass in the early days.

Manual door glass is cut different than PW window glass which has a circular cutout on the bottom for the motor. Furthermore, vert glass is cut different then coupe and fastback is different from the others.

Finding tinted Carlite door or qtr glass for a vert with power windows has been impossible.

All 72-73 convertibles came with tinted side glass and a windshield with the sunvisor tinted across the top. Hardtop models came standard with clear glass ( Not sure what was standard on a Grandé). The tinted glass has a greenish color to it. I believe any model ordered with tinted (side) glass also had the sunvisor windshield. I don't know if this was also the same for the 71 model year.

Carlite was the Ford manufacturer and PPG manufacturered replacement glass in the early days.

Manual door glass is cut different than PW window glass which has a circular cutout on the bottom for the motor. Furthermore, vert glass is cut different then coupe and fastback is different from the others.

Finding tinted Carlite door or qtr glass for a vert with power windows has been impossible.
When I bought my 71 Convertible in 1987 it came with a tinted windshield but all the side glass was clear!

Back