73 Ram Air Vacuum Hose - Where Does It Connect?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikhead

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 351C
Hey everyone. Car is finally done but need to install the vacuum hoses for the ram air. Got the ram air on and a friend put one line on for the flapper doors but not the air cleaner one. So when I went to with my dad he has them on a tube on the intake and I thought the hoses had maybe connected onto the carb? I have 2 pics below that will hopefully explain what I mean. But currently with where he connected the flapper door hose, when starting the car and giving it gas the little doors don’t move. So if anyone has tips or pics of where the hoses go that would be great!!!

It connects to a full manifold vacuum source, normally the tree at the rear of the intake and teed in with the vacuum line for the air cleaner snorkel flapper.

They are normally closed when the engine is running and under normal acceleration. They'll open when the vacuum drops to near zero at WOT.

Thank you for the posts. No idea what any of that means but I'll try to figure it out! Appreciate the responses.

Connect your hose for the ram air to the vaccum tee on the back of your intake. You have one nipple capped off, use that one.

Sounds good! Thanks for the clarification. And does the air cleaner flapper vacuum piece one go from the air cleaner assembly to that port on the carb?

No, it goes to the vacuum tree on the intake manifold. The small port on the left is for ported vacuum for the distributor, the center is for PCV, the one on the right is constant vacuum for the distributor.

Go here and download the manual for your carburetor, you'll need it, and go to the exploded view for the description of the vacuum ports

https://www.edelbrock.com/edelbrock-technical-resource-center

Last edited by a moderator:
Back