Exhaust manifold donut removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpxr400

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Q Code Convertible
Hey all - does anybody have any tips as to how to remove the exhaust donut from the manifold? They are still in the car.

They are original - steel?? and I've sprayed them with penetrating oil, have tried to knock them out with a cold chisel - to no avail. All the chisel is doing is breaking off chunks.

I figured I's stop where I am while there is still material externally to work with.

Not that it should matter at all, but it's a 351C.

Thanks,

Rick

My original 351 Cleveland exhaust manifolds doesn’t use them. Are you sure there’s some in there? I think the manifolds just have a rounded edge that is part of the casting. So if you are breaking pieces off then you are just ruining them. Hopefully not too much. The exhaust pipes are flared to just seat up against them, at least that’s how mine are.

My original 351 Cleveland exhaust manifolds doesn’t use them. Are you sure there’s some in there? I think the manifolds just have a rounded edge that is part of the casting. So if you are breaking pieces off then you are just ruining them. Hopefully not too much. The exhaust pipes are flared to just seat up against them, at least that’s how mine are.
+1

351C doesn't use donuts, but the 302 did. Might want to verify you actually are removing pieces of a donut and not cast iron. It might be that someone put a later set of manifolds on your engine that did use donuts, but the 71-73 Mustang/Cougar manifolds did not. Try to get the casting number son the manifolds, pics are on Mustangtek.

http://www.mustangtek.com/exhaust/Exhaust.html

Back