Issues starting. First startup

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangmick

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible 351c "Q" code c6 Transmission
I have a 73' with a 351c "Q" code. I bought the car as an unfinished project. It came home as a rolling chassis. I am attempting to get it running. The key will do nothing but turn on the red brake light in the instrument cluster but if you get the distributor in the right position it'll crank with the key. I don't get spark every time I get it to crank. And when I do it seems to be a weak spark. I'm lost as to a solution for this.

as i grew older poem

If moving the distributor in just the right spot makes it crank than it sounds like you have a broken wire or shorted. Evidently you are pulling on a wire that is causing the problem when you turn the distributor. I saw on facebook that you replaced the points and condenser. I would first check the black wire from the distrib to the coil to make sure it isn't grounded. If that is ok then I would work backwards and trace the positive wire off of the coil. This wire runs to the ignition and the starter relay. If you go to the Mustang Data tab at the right hand top of the page you will find wiring diagrams there for you year and engine.

Some of the electrical gurus on here might be able to tell you right where to go to fix the problem or provide better info then what I have.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe you have more than one problem. If you use a remote starter push button or run a jumper from the battery to the "S" terminal on the starter solenoid will it turn over? By turning the distributor to get it to crank your timing is messed up. What condition is your battery in? Fully charged and doesn't drop below 10 volts when you're cranking? When you're cranking the engine do you get voltage on the positive terminal on the coil?

You'll need to address one problem at a time, beginning with getting it to crank without moving the distributor. You'll need a voltmeter to check different points in the wiring. Start with checking to see if you have full battery voltage at the "S" terminal on the starter solenoid when the key is turned to start. If not check it at the ignition switch (under the dash on top of the steering column).

If you aren't experienced at electrical troubleshooting the article linked to in this thread may help you

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-automotive-electrical-troubleshooting?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back