Wax on, wax off

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
Hey...I know I'm old, but

I used to wax my cars a lot when I was younger up to around 15 years ago. I would wax them 3-4 times a year and even do friends cars

because I enjoyed it.

Getting older I guess I got lazier and haven't waxed car in at least 10 years.

I decided it was time to wax my 2003 Jeep TJ as it hasn't been waxed since I bought it a little over 2 years ago. While it looks good (red) up close

you can tell it needs a good wax.

So being old school head over to two local auto shops.

When did paste wax become obsolete? I found only Turtle wax and Meguires on the shelf. Everything else was a spray on wax. Plus can't find cheese cloth any more in order to remove the wax and buff. Didn't want to try a spray on wax as I felt it wouldn't remove road crap and years of pollution on the body. 

So now Saturday I'm going to be out there with a liquid wax (Turtle) and some cloth designed (not cheese) to remove and buff the Jeep.

Man, I'm old.

I'm even lazier, I use the car wash with wax built in, then a leaf blower to semi-dry it, then a soft towel to finish it. I like the idea of the wax also coating things I can't see. I had a Lincoln Navigator for 10 years and it still looked really good when I traded it in on the F150 I have now. Damn, time goes by, just realized I've had the F150 for nearly 10 years, but it still looks great, too. It's been through a variety of conditions, 3 years in Las Vegas, 3 years in central California, and now nearly 4 years in Oregon.

My wife uses the spray on stuff on her car, and likes it, it does make a good shine.

Wow - that's odd to hear.  I haven't looked for wax in awhile, so I guess I just haven't noticed if paste wax has disappeared or not.

You said 'local auto parts stores,' does that mean "Mom & Pop's Parts," or one of the big box auto parts stores 'local' to you?  I seem to recal O'Reilly Auto Parts having the 'Big 3' (Meguiar's, Mother's, and Turtle Wax) products galore - usually, including paste wax.

If you need something to remove pollution and whatnot, you might consider a 'clay bar' solution - which each of the 'Big 3' have their own products for that, as well.

The reason I haven't really looked for wax in a long time is because I still have something like 3 or 4 partially used tubs of Meguiar's Classic Carnauba & Gold Class Carnauba paste floating around my garage - they all look like yellow grits and smell like industrial-grade bananas (LOVE that stuff).  I had one applicator actually disintigrate on me after sitting so long between the can's lid and the clear 'lid' [for keeping the applicator with the can].  I think I have a bag with a half dozen applicators somewhere as well (sometimes get them in car show goodie bags).

I used to use old, thick bath towels to remove the wax, but I'm digging the Micro-fibre cloths these days.

Have fun with it - at least waxing a Jeep isn't all that big of a deal.  I can usually have my CJ-7 done in about 15-20 minutes or so, unless the doors are on, then a little longer.  The Mach 1 takes quite a bit longer.

I agree as far as wanting a paste wax. I like to see where I have applied it and how much. I think one thing that gets over looked before waxing is giving the paint a really good cleaning. I like to use a clay bar once a year. You be surprise how much dirt and grim it will pick up. Even with todays high tech paint there is nothing like the shine of a good wax job. Love watching the water bead up when it rains.

I usually clay bar twice a year and the last two times I used Maguires paste wax after the clay bar. Turns out really nice, but sure does take awhile to do. I was using a couple different spray waxes, but they just don’t seem to work as good as some good old fashion elbow grease, and a few beers.

Wow - that's odd to hear.  I haven't looked for wax in awhile, so I guess I just haven't noticed if paste wax has disappeared or not.

You said 'local auto parts stores,' does that mean "Mom & Pop's Parts," or one of the big box auto parts stores 'local' to you?  I seem to recal O'Reilly Auto Parts having the 'Big 3' (Meguiar's, Mother's, and Turtle Wax) products galore - usually, including paste wax.

If you need something to remove pollution and whatnot, you might consider a 'clay bar' solution - which each of the 'Big 3' have their own products for that, as well.

The reason I haven't really looked for wax in a long time is because I still have something like 3 or 4 partially used tubs of Meguiar's Classic Carnauba & Gold Class Carnauba paste floating around my garage - they all look like yellow grits and smell like industrial-grade bananas (LOVE that stuff).  I had one applicator actually disintigrate on me after sitting so long between the can's lid and the clear 'lid' [for keeping the applicator with the can].  I think I have a bag with a half dozen applicators somewhere as well (sometimes get them in car show goodie bags).

I used to use old, thick bath towels to remove the wax, but I'm digging the Micro-fibre cloths these days.

Have fun with it - at least waxing a Jeep isn't all that big of a deal.  I can usually have my CJ-7 done in about 15-20 minutes or so, unless the doors are on, then a little longer.  The Mach 1 takes quite a bit longer.

My local shops are Napa, Autozone and Advance Auto.

I like applying bikini wax to ... well...you know...

Not myself! Get your mind out of the gutter!

You said 'local auto parts stores,' does that mean "Mom & Pop's Parts," or one of the big box auto parts stores 'local' to you?  I seem to recall O'Reilly Auto Parts having the 'Big 3' (Meguiar's, Mother's, and Turtle Wax) products galore - usually, including paste wax.

My local shops are Napa, Autozone and Advance Auto.
Interesting.  I know every NAPA I've ever been in has never had much of a selection of cleaning/detailing products, but Autozone and Advance are usually pretty well stocked with the same products as O'Reilly's.

I used to get my supplies at Emmons Coachworks in Villa Park, IL but it appears they are out of business. I used the Zymol that was hand rubbed onto the car. Started by washing, HD Cleanse, clay bar and then the wax. Don't know what I will do now when my supplies run out.

PepBoys usually carries a good selection of paste, liquid and spray waxes as well as detailing stuff. Otherwise I usually go to Griots garage or AutoGeek which have a lot of choices. In reality they are probably all made by the same company.

Here is a really good paste wax you may want to try...   https://www.zymol.com/destiny.aspx

Is a 71 - 73 not worth using $950 wax!?!?

The latest craze is ceramic coating with more and more choices of that coming out. Dont know how good it really is though.

The latest craze is ceramic coating with more and more choices of that coming out. Dont know how good it really is though.
I'm sure it will be good for the dealer's billfold. :)

I see those ads and all I can think of is "snake oil"......

Back