Wiper blade replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach I
This may sound pretty basic, but I can't get the wiper blade off the wiper arm on my '72 mach I.

The wiper blades that have a pin in the wiper arm that goes thru the blade assembly, but for the life of me I can figure out how to remove it.

Any suggestions... I must be missing something simple.

Thanks

No problem.  We all been there at one time or another.  There is a flat clip that needs to be pushed out away from the pin on the arm to release  the wiper.  Might have to wiggle it some to work it off.  See pics.  Screw driver is pointing at it.  The bottom picture is how it should look when the blade is on the arm.  Almost all the wipers are held on this way.   Hope this helps.

Thank you for the nice response... I've attached 2 pictures of my model. 

There is a small tab near the pin that I'm assuming is this blade's release, but it is pretty ambiguous!

I'll keep trying.

Actually your blades are quite different from mine... 

If you have probs like me to find new ones that mounts, not in plastic and not looking too modern, you can also buy a new pair of same rubber length/width or a tad longer and just change the rubber.

You only have to pry the rubber to exit one extremity, and pull it out thru the other 3 or 4 supports. Compare length and cut the new ones if length is different. Push back in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you are correct... now that you mention it, I believe I did this last time since the new replacements didn't look like they belonged on the old '72.

I've owned this car from new and it never gets driven in the rain, so there are at least 10 years between replacements!

I just forgot what I did the last time... it is tough getting old... me (not the car).

Thanks for the response!

Thank you for the nice response... I've attached 2 pictures of my model. 

There is a small tab near the pin that I'm assuming is this blade's release, but it is pretty ambiguous!

I'll keep trying.

Actually your blades are quite different from mine... 

You have oldies.  If you do want to replace them there is a spring release on the side you can press on with a small screw driver.  Or - Just take a screw driver and put between the wiper and the arm and pry off.   Pull the outer ends of the blade up as you do.

Kilgon,

You know your stuff! Your answer worked perfectly. The secret is pulling back on the 2 ends of the wiper as you mentioned... This takes the spring pressure off the wiper pin and makes it fairly easy to pull off.

Thanks again.

I've attached photos of the operation.

Back when these cars were made, only the rubber blade was routinely replaced, not the entire arm that is common now. There was a little clip at one end that was pinched together and the rubber blade just slid out. Times have changed.

Scott

Something so basic and so tricky. Is there a replacement wiper arm that could use the modern clip type of blades instead of this pin that is driving me crazy?

Or, is there an adapter? I bought 16" blades but they don't seem to work with the pin style in my car?

Back