Replacing exhaust manifold on 351c 4V

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinttyFressh

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
351C-4V
4 speed

[url=https://ibb.co/YRHbp4x][img]https://i.ibb.co/4mhJPwH/48356714-10161290145260247-9164500619480793088-n.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://imgbb.com/]where can i upload images[/url]
The original exhaust manifold on my 73 mach 1 i found was cracked and im looking to replace it with a pair of headers.

power steering 

manual tranny 

1. Ive heard and read a couple places that long tube headers will hit the ground if i go over a speed bump (which i  find hard to believe considering the ride height)but im doing the shelby drop so if this is true it'd be nice to know ahead of time so i can get shorties...

2. does anyone have any recommendations for headers for this motor as im sure owners of this vehicle and motor combo know finding the proper parts is quite the challenge? im currently debating getting the "Sanderson Headers Blockhugger Headers FC4-P" does anyone have experience with fitment on this particular item?

the motor itself is coming back at 386 instead of 351 and roughly 390hp so no cheap header suggestions please

I had a '72 Mach 1 that I put long tube headers on. It was lowered 1" in the front and 1/2" in the back. I was constantly scraping headers on speed bumps, pulling in to parking lots, anywhere there was an elevation change. I finally put the stock manifolds back on. I had a '68 California Special that I put Tri-Y's on and never had any problems.

Steve

No experience with the Sanderson model you posted, but they do make a nice header.

The only "budget" header that will work on a 71-73 Mustang with a manual trans is the Hooker Competition headers 6915 for 4V cars, the 2V version is 6921. Only thing they get close to is the pitman arm on the steering box at full lock in IIRC a LH turn and you may need to trim back the very end of the pushrod for the clutch fork. They won't hit the ground unless your front end is worn out, or you drive like you stole it.

The Shelby drop is not needed on '71s and later. It will actually make your suspension geometry worse, not better as in the pre '71 Mustangs.

A tip, when you tighten the manifold bolts make sure the end of the headers are not hanging, but are lifted up. The slack in the bolt holes is enough to allow the headers to hang a little lower. Also, make sure the exhaust is "hung" properly so the weight of the exhaust is not being held up by the headers.

I had a '72 Mach 1 that I put long tube headers on. It was lowered 1" in the front and 1/2" in the back. I was constantly scraping headers on speed bumps, pulling in to parking lots, anywhere there was an elevation change. I finally put the stock manifolds back on. I had a '68 California Special that I put Tri-Y's on and never had any problems.

Steve
Perfect thats exactly what I wanted to know

I been running Sandersons for many yrs. They may get tight on the driver side near the flange connect. They will not work using factory style H pipe, but they will really wake up a Cleveland with 4V cast logs. Dyno. proven

Back