LED Dash Lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drk1313

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Convert - Pewter/black/351
[url=https://ibb.co/xGJC5Tf][img]https://i.ibb.co/WFgxKJP/IMAG2309-1.jpg[/img][/url]
I purchased and installed the LED dash light kit from www.hipoparts.com

The kit was comprehensive and included a clear instructions sheet. It really woke up my dash - bulbs are included for the blinkers and high beam horse as well. It seems pricey at about $70, but you don't have to piece it together, so it saves some time and hassle. Be sure to test the lights before you button up the dash, as the bulbs have to be inserted in the correct direction to work properly. The whole job took a leisurely 2 hours, so it's a great winter/weekend project.

I purchased and installed the LED dash light kit from www.hipoparts.com

The kit was comprehensive and included a clear instructions sheet. It really woke up my dash - bulbs are included for the blinkers and high beam horse as well. It seems pricey at about $70, but you don't have to piece it together, so it saves some time and hassle. Be sure to test the lights before you button up the dash, as the bulbs have to be inserted in the correct direction to work properly. The whole job took a leisurely 2 hours, so it's a great winter/weekend project.
 Yes indeed. A bit more pricey, but you get what you pay for and that's quality and experience. Did you get the Elite series 2, or the extreme set?

Just one thing, if you have idiot lights, I hope you left the incandescent 194 bulb in the ALT socket? It is needed to complete that circuit so it works.

Enjoy your dash lights, I know I do with mine.  I also upgraded ALL my light to LED or SMD's from HiPo Parts (with the exception of headlights that is)

Geoff.

+1 on HiPo! I installed the Elite 2 kit, around $120, adjustable to the lowest setting and very bright altogether. Too bad they are made in China!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks from the price that you got the Elite II kit.  How much can you dim them?
 I too have the Elite series II and they dim almost all the way down. I also had installed a new headlight switch.
Same here - They dim pretty much like stock bulbs.

Looks good.

Did Bill sell you the grounded LED flashers that you need for the LED turn signal bulbs? (turn and hazard) 

When I did mine the first time (yes, I did mine twice) I did not get the flashers and found the LED turn signal bulbs did not work unless I re-installed the 194's. Yes, the LED's were in the correct way! I also had electronic flashers.

Originally, I bought the Extreme series, but found them only a bit better than the 194's, so I bought the Elite series that made a huge difference. At that time I changed all but the headlights to LED/SMD's so the grounded flasher was a must at that point. As a side note, I found that my wire harness had been made wrong with the power and neutral wires switched around in the socket. That caused me a ton of frustration until Bill and Midlife came to the rescue. I was unable to switch the wires, so I just made up a couple of short jumper wires to connect the flasher.

I thought I should mention the flasher problem as most are unaware of it. They probably should be included in the kits.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
My turn signals and flashers worked ok. They were separate bulbs in the kit and gave no issues luckily.

Looks good.

Did Bill sell you the grounded LED flashers that you need for the LED turn signal bulbs? (turn and hazard) 

When I did mine the first time (yes, I did mine twice) I did not get the flashers and found the LED turn signal bulbs did not work unless I re-installed the 194's. Yes, the LED's were in the correct way! I also had electronic flashers.

Originally, I bought the Extreme series, but found them only a bit better than the 194's, so I bought the Elite series that made a huge difference. At that time I changed all but the headlights to LED/SMD's so the grounded flasher was a must at that point. As a side note, I found that my wire harness had been made wrong with the power and neutral wires switched around in the socket. That caused me a ton of frustration until Bill and Midlife came to the rescue. I was unable to switch the wires, so I just made up a couple of short jumper wires to connect the flasher.

I thought I should mention the flasher problem as most are unaware of it. They probably should be included in the kits.

Geoff.

My turn signals and flashers worked ok. They were separate bulbs in the kit and gave no issues luckily.
 If the turn signal lights work with the flasher you have, that's good, but if you decide to change your other exterior bulbs to SMD's, you'll need that flasher(s). Don't be afraid to email Bill at HiPoParts and ask for advice. He has been very helpful to me.

Geoff.

@drk1313, Thanks for the kudo's,

One more upgrade if your car has idiot lights and no tach you might like to consider and that is Rocketman's tach conversion. It is an awesome item and looks totally like the real thing, except it has the idiot lights built in. Easy to install, just need a keyed 12V, a good ground and a wire to the coil neg side. 

www.rccinnovations.com

Here's mine. Note: oil light not connected at distribution block

Interesting.  I'd ordered the Elite II and swapped it all out, but I have no dimming effect - just always on at the right level (with the lights, of course).  There's a good possibility that I forgot to leave the 194 in the proper place (according to the instructions).  But, the position they show to be left as a 194, is also one of those that say, "not used with clock cluster." (I don't have an ALT light, in other words)

Things have cooled off quite a bit here in West Texas, so I'm hoping I'll get a shot at fixing this issue (along with my non-functional speedo cable - that won't stay clipped onto the back of the speedo).

I also have a Rocketman clock/tach conversion (love it) and it works great!

Back