Keyless entry + start

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Hey guys,

My long term AmsterFoose plan includes keyless entry and start. Has anybody ever installed this? If so, how? From where?

Cheers,

Vincent.

I've done three of them over the years. Two on Ford Explorer's and one on a Saturn. They are fairly straight forward and easy to install. I installed two Vipers and one Bulldog brand. I like the Viper out of the two.

They range from about $40 for the off market brands to $100 or more for the better units. Get a reputable brand and follow the instruction. I would get a system that include an alarm and would add a trigger to the hood so if it is opened it will set the alarm off also.

With a little pre planning where you are going to install the unit and run the wires you can do a install in a couple of hours. Take your time and make sure your wire splices are good and try to mount the unit where you will have easy access to it incase it has to come back out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used Viper and Direct Electronics, which are the same. You have to find the havy duty door lock actuators and a relay to be activated by the Viper module. I would go with the module that also includes the alarm.

I am working on installing one of these in the Mustang. Not the remote starter but the remote door lock and alarm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Good point that tony-muscle brought up about the actuators & relay. The below link is to Parts Express. They carry both but the main reason I'm bringing them up is their page on relays and how they work. Opens up some neat stuff you can do with them.

https://www.parts-express.com/resources-automotive-relays

Relays are very useful. You can use them in combinations to activate (or not) a lot of devices. It's interesting to work out the logic for them and be able to see how the logic works. Then when you add in time delay relays and latching relays you can really get inventive. For someone interested in electronics and industrial controls working out complex relay control circuits is a good introduction to PLCs (Programmable Logic Controllers).

Thanks for sharing.

This is what I am using:

-Alarm module: Viper 5606V (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H5XV1ZS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). In my case i won't use the remote start function, but this module was cheaper and had all is needed for an alarm and remote door locks.

-2x Directed 524N Xpresskit High-Power Universal Door Lock Motor (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Directed-524N-Xpresskit-High-Power-Universal-Door-Lock-Motor/291914247275?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649)

-1x Megatronix DAKM Door Lock Relay Kit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J1LE7Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

You can also use two individual relays instead of the Megatronix. I used the kit because it was one enclosed unit easier to place under the dash.

Thanks for all those links. I've looked at most of them but I'm having a hard time finding out if they do what I want it to do which is: never having to hold the key/remote again. The car should detect the remote is nearby and then I want to unlock pressing a button on my doorhandle.

Does this sound familiar to any of the people who replied?

Sorry but I don't know of any kits like that out on the market place for cars. It would be possible to piece together with the right parts and using one of the standard kits such as Viper. Would need proximity sensors which uses radio frequency technology. If you find one please post a link to it.

Thanks for all those links. I've looked at most of them but I'm having a hard time finding out if they do what I want it to do which is: never having to hold the key/remote again. The car should detect the remote is nearby and then I want to unlock pressing a button on my doorhandle.

Does this sound familiar to any of the people who replied?
I know what you mean. Basically what most new cars have with the fob. I have not seen aftermarket versions of these.

I would search for proximity car alarms and locks. Locks should be able to use the same technology that the proximity alarms need, along with a key fob transponder that unlocks the doors.

That's more like it! Unfortunately I don't live in Australia anymore so I can't get my car to them as they do installs only :-/ But yeah, that's the system I'd like and I imagine that for our Mustangs it could be real simple with just 3 sensors (2 sides and trunk), 3 actuators, 1 CPU and a fob key.

That's more like it! Unfortunately I don't live in Australia anymore so I can't get my car to them as they do installs only :-/ But yeah, that's the system I'd like and I imagine that for our Mustangs it could be real simple with just 3 sensors (2 sides and trunk), 3 actuators, 1 CPU and a fob key.
Viper also do a similar add on but I don.t know it connects with their alarm systems.

Do a search for proximity entry and start alarm systems that is what I searched for,you should get results closer to you.

Shane

You could remove the lockout rod from the transmission and connect it to a solenoid/electric actuator that would be activated by the ignition turning on and off, and keep the steering wheel lock in use.

You could remove the lockout rod from the transmission and connect it to a solenoid/electric actuator that would be activated by the ignition turning on and off, and keep the steering wheel lock in use.
Correct. Nowadays the steering wheel is locked via an electronic actuator.

Correct. Nowadays the steering wheel is locked via an electronic actuator.
That makes sense.

Back