Convert Top Molding

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang convert
Hello all,

I have a question about the special nuts that are used to attach the convertible top trim to the car. They are different on each side (see attached picture) I would guess that the wide end threads on against the body but wanted to confirm. It has been a while since they were removed and I don't have a good "before" picture during disassembly. Also, is there any sealant of body putty that should go on the underside? Thanks for any help!

If I remember correctly the "small" side (nut on the left) goes against the molding. There wasn't any sealer on mine. I am missing about half of them. I just want to add that for the center molding, clips and nuts are available aftermarket but not cheap!

Not A T5, Thanks for reply. Yes I had to "phony up" (pun intended...) and buy the expensive replacement trim retainer blocks as I had two damaged blocks. The studs on the blocks that attach to the trim go through the body and the nuts thread on from the underside. I guess that is why I thought the wider part of the nut would go against the body rather than the small end. I guess I'll have to try looking up under where the nuts go and see if I can see any old witness marks.

Not A T5, Thanks for reply. Yes I had to "phony up" (pun intended...) and buy the expensive replacement trim retainer blocks as I had two damaged blocks. The studs on the blocks that attach to the trim go through the body and the nuts thread on from the underside. I guess that is why I thought the wider part of the nut would go against the body rather than the small end. I guess I'll have to try looking up under where the nuts go and see if I can see any old witness marks.
JimB73, small ends go towards the body/moldings. Nuts small ends mate with the oval hole to get seated. Be careful...Do NOT over tighten them!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would put some 3-M sealer around the sheet metal holes. Water can get between the layers of metal and then you get rust bubbling up just below the trim. I have a California car and the is the only rust on the car is where they washed the car with running water and it got between the layers and rusted. 

I have a Grand Rapids Michigan car and zero rust in the back panels. Washing these cars kills them.

If you have the top loose back there be sure and fix any of the rust in the rain gutter and seal all the seams up good. 

My pics got lost in computer issue will have to get recovered.

Thanks for reply David. Yes, I was thinking that it would be a good idea to put some kind of sealer in the holes since it is a flat area that water could collect and drip into the convert top well.

I read your other post about your computer (I thought you have been quiet lately!) they can be a major pain when they stop working. We don't realize how much we depend on them until something happens to it...Hopefully you have backups.

Here's what I did to my rain gutters so water can get out quickly. At both ends of the gutters 3" long pieces of 5/8" pipes were welded on and I did same on the bottom of the outer wheel wells, attached a piece of garden hose and voila! I also removed all surface rust in the gutter, primered, sealed and painted it. I think it should be good for the next 50 years LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back