power steering pump rebuild kit?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machattack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1 351c 4v auto fmx
1968 mustang gt 302 4v 4 speed
Im having trouble identifying the brand/make of the power steering pump on my car. My car is a 1971 mach 1 351c. I need a rebuild kit for the pump. Can some one give me a lead please.

Thank you

Rod

I got one from Advance Auto and I also ordered one from NPD. 

The most difficult part is getting the pulley off the thing. I had one I never got off and actually broke a puller. I even heated with cutting torch and would not come off.

I think all the kits are same for all years but check the NPD site. 

Be sure and note where the pulley is seated how far down the shaft. It does not have a shoulder to rest on up to you to stop in right place or the belt will not align. 

Be sure and take pics of the inside very complicated pump mechanical. 

The Satin black that Rustoluem makes looks about right for the paint. 

For some reason the 73 pulley is smaller than 71 & 72. Did not have any good pics this is an original 73. 

private image upload

I should know this but it escapes me at the moment. If the '71 is the same as the '73 (351C-4V) then you can have my p/s repair kit.

I was going to go it myself but realized I'd spend more in tools needed (and beer) so sent it out for rebuild. Very happy with that result.

I have the NPD kit, unopened. Yours for the asking.

I bought a Snap-on tools years ago, something like 80 buxx, used it already 4 times for ford pumps, it also comes in a casing that allows the removal of more pulley types.

I've open 2 alternators thanks to it. The repair kit, once you have the tool, is much cheaper than buying or let repair. The repair on itself is straight forward. I've posted a complete revision detailed using this kit in my 71 build thread https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-fabrice-s-429cj-71-project?page=3.

Most work/time sits into the de-rust paint work. The repair on itself can be done under an hour.

There are few threads on the topic where it's been said you can borrow/rent the tools in many US shops. On this side of the ocean, buying the tool was the best move even used only once as these pumps are not light.

As David said, do not even try without the right pulley extractor. You will break the pulley or damage the shaft. Using the tool, pulley comes out without any efforts.

I should know this but it escapes me at the moment.  If the '71 is the same as the '73 (351C-4V) then you can have my p/s repair kit. 

I was going to go it myself but realized I'd spend more in tools needed (and beer) so sent it out for rebuild.  Very happy with that result.

I have the NPD kit, unopened.  Yours for the asking.
Wow ...... I wasnt expecting a free kit. Thank you very much. Im very new to this forum stuff. Not sure if I should post my address here or not? I do need your address so I can at least pay postage.

Many thanks

Rod

I got one from Advance Auto and I also ordered one from NPD. 

The most difficult part is getting the pulley off the thing. I had one I never got off and actually broke a puller. I even heated with cutting torch and would not come off.

I think all the kits are same for all years but check the NPD site. 

Be sure and note where the pulley is seated how far down the shaft. It does not have a shoulder to rest on up to you to stop in right place or the belt will not align. 

Be sure and take pics of the inside very complicated pump mechanical. 

The Satin black that Rustoluem makes looks about right for the paint. 

For some reason the 73 pulley is smaller than 71 & 72. Did not have any good pics this is an original 73. 

private image upload
Thank you very much for the info and pics. I sincerely appreciate your unselfishness with your help. !!!! 

I bought a Snap-on tools years ago, something like 80 buxx, used it already 4 times for ford pumps, it also comes in a casing that allows the removal of more pulley types.

I've open 2 alternators thanks to it. The repair kit, once you have the tool, is much cheaper than buying or let repair. The repair on itself is straight forward. I've posted a complete revision detailed using this kit in my 71 build thread  https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-fabrice-s-429cj-71-project?page=3.

Most work/time sits into the de-rust paint work. The repair on itself can be done under an hour.

There are few threads on the topic where it's been said you can borrow/rent the tools in many US shops. On this side of the ocean, buying the tool was the best move even used only once as these pumps are not light.

As David said, do not even try without the right pulley extractor. You will break the pulley or damage the shaft. Using the tool, pulley comes out without any efforts.
Thank you for your help! I appreciate your help very much. What a good bunch of folks on here........ probably the most unselfish folks I ever met!

You can get the pulley puller for free to use at Napa or most of the auto stores that offer the lend a tool. It is a must to get the pulley off. You will also need it to put the pulley back on unless you make your own out of a bolt and nut.

Back