Potential purchase

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
1971 Mustang Mach I
1972 Mexican GT-351
1971 Mustang Convertible
1988 Bronco II
1970 Torino 4 door
Some images enclosed. Supposedly original interior except carpet replaced. Original body panels and nor rust. Same owner for 35 yrs. Numbers matching. I plan to replace dash (cracked), grille and the wheels. I would also like to restore to original paint. Everything works as it should. Any glaring observations? Any help appreciated. I do not want buyers remorse. I will be getting the car myself so I will inspect it beforehand. I spoke to the owner as well as the local custom shop guy he has do some work him. The guy said he has original carb somewhere. I hope to get that as well. I dunno how a car stays rust free in Denver area.

00P0P_iL1PMDN6hc9_600x450.jpg

00F0F_gcMaUpY5tqG_600x450.jpg

00n0n_35xPXbdvohr_1200x900.jpg

00l0l_daACJA88vC4_600x450.jpg

1F05M181027_dlxrpt.pdf

Attachments

• 1F05M181027_dlxrpt.pdf
    294 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the ad for this Mach 1 and thought it was a real good buy for the asking price. I'm no expert but I'd be happy to be at that price level when we are done restoring ours, we'll likely be 5 grand higher. It reads like an honest ad and an original body panel car with no rust is getting very hard to find.

I am like a nervous kid in a candy store. Now i want to get a third and don;t even have this one yet, LOL. I only have a 3 car garage and vert is taking a spot as is my daughters 87 Bronco II. Body panels for vert are in 3rd spot. Luckily i have a very gracious (and hot) fiancee that is going to let me store a car in her garage over the next cupla winters. She's a keeper.

I am like a nervous kid in a candy store.  Now i want to get a third and don;t even have this one yet, LOL.  I only have a 3 car garage and vert is taking a spot as is my daughters 87 Bronco II.  Body panels for vert are in 3rd spot.  Luckily i have a very gracious (and hot) fiancee that is going to let me store a car in her garage over the next cupla winters.  She's a keeper.
Nice. Keeper for sure. While my wife isn't a big fan of all my cars she did agree to move out of town and let me build a 40x40 shop for all my stuff. She's a keeper too. :) She did get her walk in closet and master bathroom out of the deal but hey compromise makes it happen right.

Well I got the car. Heading home. Some paint dings and such. Door panels have been replaced but very solid. I forgot just how tiny the side mirrors on these Mustangs

Outstanding! Congratulations on the find and purchase. Be sure to keep us updated.

Just catching up on the posts I missed. Looks like you got a good one to go back with for sure. It will look much better in the original green when you go back. 

I did not see what you paid for I guess I missed the ad or something?

Interesting M code with ram air. For some reason I had in my head that M codes were not RA and that Q was RA in 71 must have dreamed that one since the Marti shows it.

Interesting M code with ram air. For some reason I had in my head that M codes were not RA and that Q was RA in 71 must have dreamed that one since the Marti shows it.
Optional on both engines.

Congrats on the purchase, hope she's a good one for you.

Wasn't cheap but very solid. 18500 (unsure if that is a good deal or not, am interested in opinions on that!) Few small items to fix. Parking brake release plastic has a corner broken off. Looks like someone screwed something into center console. Ram air latches missing the part that locks into the mounting brackets. Rear bumper bent. Front bumper has a bunch of cracks. Dash pad cracked. Car was restored in mid 90s before a lot of parts were available. Looks to be original upholstery. Wheels were cool in the 80s and 90s (will be going with 500s). Everything seems to work. Convenience package lights, buzzer, reverse key release, all work. Engine was rebuilt with slightly lower compression but bigger cam. Sounds very good.

Congratulations - nice find  ::thumb:: 

For this car in this condition with that options I think it was a good price for a 4 speed M-code with original Ram Air. For this range of money here in Germany you can get only sleazy rides - or my car, which needed much more work than yours will do ...

I think you did very well on your buy. It couldn't be built for that kind of money. A few minor items that you mentioned are easily corrected. Like you said going with 500's. Excellent choice in my opinion. The rust free part is the best part of your purchase! Nicely optioned (4V-Ram Air, 4 speed, 9 inch), same owner 35 years, appearance shows it was extremely well maintained and a rebuilt engine to boot. The list of positives are impressive ones.

Any future plans for a repaint? As in original color?

I think you did very well on your buy. It couldn't be built for that kind of money. A few minor items that you mentioned are easily corrected. Like you said going with 500's. Excellent choice in my opinion. The rust free part is the best part of your purchase! Nicely optioned (4V-Ram Air, 4 speed, 9 inch), same owner 35 years, appearance shows it was extremely well maintained and a rebuilt engine to boot. The list of positives are impressive ones.

Any future plans for a repaint? As in original color?
Long term plans (2 or more years away) would be a repaint.  I need to complete the long overdue 71 vert and also my 12 yo daughter's 87 Bronco II

Back