900hp electric Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about a 71-73 but the one in the article sure looks like fun!!   ::thumb::

No ......Just , NO Sorry But I really don't think Electric is the way forward, I think we are all being sold a lie on how wonderful these cars are.

The making of the Batteries, transporting costs of materials and the processes of recycling them at the moment is going to be an even bigger problem to deal with in future years IMO Not to mention the power station upgrades required to power the Grid country wide!

I do agree something needs to be done in cities with air pollution and at this moment in time Electric seems an easy choice, but I think this is short term.

Hydrogen is what really needs to be developed.

No ......Just , NO    Sorry But I really don't think Electric is the way forward, I think we are all being sold a lie on how wonderful these cars are.

The making of the Batteries, transporting costs of materials  and the processes of recycling them at the moment  is going to be an even bigger problem to deal with in future years IMO  Not to mention the power station upgrades required to power the Grid country wide!

I do agree something needs to be done in cities with air pollution and at this moment in time Electric seems an easy choice, but I think this is short term.

Hydrogen is what really needs to be developed.
Yeah electric cars are a pushed fad by morons that think that they can replicate the success of Tesla. It's a flop just like VR flopped for computers. Like you said hydrogen is better. EV batteries are worse in landfills than junk gas cars, plus trees can't convert battery acid into oxygen like carbon dioxide rofl

They need tons of lithium and cobalt to make batteries. No one talks about these minerals and how they are extracted. These would be the new oil. I was reading that they have robots that extract rocks from the bottom of the ocean to get some of these minerals. If you destroy the bottom of the oceans that also causes problems. I am not an environmentalist but how can this be called a green technology when it has so much baggage?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

An Australian company wants to drill some exploration wells in Death Valley to see if there is enough lithium there to extract it. There are two ways to mine lithium, one, which would be used in Death Valley, is to pump hot brine from hot underground aquifers into evaporation ponds. This is the method used by the Silver Peak lithium mine in southern Nevada, which is currently the only lithium producing mine in the US. The other way is traditional mining, which extracts it from rocks. A hard rock lithium mine will probably be opening in North Carolina in the near future, and will be an open pit mine.

I have flown over the lithium mine in Nevada many times and the number of evaporation ponds has increased, the demand for it used to be primarily for medicines. They now cover an area about 6 miles by 2 miles.

Now, if we HAVE to go electric, then at least this IS a MUSTANG!!! Not some dorky looking SUV thing with a few bits and pieces cued from a Mustang just so they can (try to) call it a Mustang.

I too feel the same way as many others on the subject of batteries and I too believe we're been sold a snow job on the "green" bit. 

Hydrogen will at least only produce water as a bi-product, but the issue with H2 is it's the lightest gas known and requires very high psi, I heard 10,000 psi, in a tank to be enough to drive on. Other methods are to have a material that absorbs H2, then releases it on demand. I think it might have been Toyota that was working on that idea, can't remember now for sure, been many years.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Geoff.

Yes, you are correct, up to 10,000 psi.

There are two types of hydrogen powered cars, internal combustion engine and fuel cell. The internal combustion engine version is similar to the CNG and propane powered engines, except for the pressure tank, and it also emits carbon dioxide along with water vapor, due to combustion. The fuel cell powered cars converts the hydrogen into electricity, powering electric motors. The conversion process emits water vapor. Most hydrogen production facilities currently extract the hydrogen from natural gas, which means that carbon gas is a by-product. Refueling times are 5 to 10 minutes, at a gasoline equivalent cost of close to $6.00 a gallon.

There are currently 3 companies producing fuel cell cars and are sold only in California. Fueling stations are scarce and for the most part are in either L.A. or the Bay area.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/hydrogen-cars-for-sale/

Edit: This made me think of something else, one manufacturing plant that I know about uses the carbon from natural gas, along with nitrogen fertilizer, to produce cyanide, which is used in the mining industry. They use the hydrogen by-product for internal heating needs and burn off the rest of it. So, maybe they need to start capturing and pressurizing the hydrogen. There has to be some smart-a$$ phrase about a company manufacturing both something that can kill you and a product that will supposedly save the planet (never mind that the latest theory is because the Earth is wobbling more now, due to all the new concrete in China unbalancing the planet, is causing the changing weather patterns). :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you are correct, up to 10,000 psi.

There are two types of hydrogen powered cars, internal combustion engine and fuel cell. The internal combustion engine version is similar to the CNG and propane powered engines, except for the pressure tank, and it also emits carbon dioxide along with water vapor, due to combustion. The fuel cell powered cars converts the hydrogen into electricity, powering electric motors. The conversion process emits water vapor. Most hydrogen production facilities currently extract the hydrogen from natural gas, which means that carbon gas is a by-product. Refueling times are 5 to 10 minutes, at a gasoline equivalent cost of close to $6.00 a gallon.

There are currently 3 companies producing fuel cell cars and are sold only in California. Fueling stations are scarce and for the most part are in either L.A. or the Bay area.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/hydrogen-cars-for-sale/

Edit: This made me think of something else, one manufacturing plant that I know about uses the carbon from natural gas, along with nitrogen fertilizer, to produce cyanide, which is used in the mining industry. They use the hydrogen by-product for internal heating needs and burn off the rest of it. So, maybe they need to start capturing and pressurizing the hydrogen. There has to be some smart-a$$ phrase about a company manufacturing both something that can kill you and a product that will supposedly save the planet (never mind that the latest theory is because the Earth is wobbling more now, due to all the new concrete in China unbalancing the planet, is causing the changing weather patterns). :)
 Don, clearly you are knowledgeable on this subject and a very interesting read for sure.

Thanks, Tony. Yeah, this is interesting stuff. Popular Science and Popular Mechanics, and car magazines, were always my favorite reads.

I had to re-write some of it, too much of my non-politically correct feelings were showing. :) But many years of writing objective reports came to the rescue.

Back