Ideas Where To Buy Engine Block?

For reference, My '71 has a scheduled build date of Nov. 16th, 1970, actual build date of Nov. 30th, 1970 and the block date is OK30, one month prior to actual build.

I think this helps people, very good for a DAP build (non Boss /Non 429) car!!    Our cars aren't like earlier ones where 3 plants built cars and you needed to understand both demand and shipping time .  (Not to mention lack of rotation/strikes and block repairs that happened to many FE's right out of the foundry!

If anything I'll bet many MANY more items will be available from "those that didn't want to sell" prior in the near future.  People will start to do things differently also.  Where MANY had not problem "buying AMK bolts" (so they are shinny) some will now value cleaning, prepping and plating original hardware) , which is what restorers did all along!

Mark

Maybe I should add then that my car is a Boss. I didn't think it would matter in this instance, but since you brought it up......

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We always try to buy a somewhat running parts car to get engines.

A 70 / 71 Torino 4 door rust bucket can be had for 700 bucks.  You get all of the brackets, accessories, odds and ends plus can hear it run before you buy it.

A few years back we bought a 71 Torino wagon that had all of the glass busted out of it but it ran.  We got a running 2V cleveland / C6  for $550.00

When we were done I dropped a junk block in it - loaded it with scrap - and took it to the recycle guy.  We got $220.00 for it.

Nothing better than a parts car!

- Paul

• 3 weeks later...

@icejawa - found one on the 351C facebook page. Complete M-code engine with a Sept 21 date code. I linked him here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1909853689258327/permalink/2654743028102719/?sale_post_id=2654743028102719

would that block work for my car? The date code looks like Sept 24, 1970 to me. Would this be correct if my car was serialized 9/22/70? Just want to make sure so I don't drive 8 hours out for an incorrect engine

I think it'll be fine, serialized to me is only when Ford received the order and put it in the system to be scheduled. Based on your Marti build date of 10/5, you are right where you need to be. My old 71 XR-7 was serialized and ordered on 11/20, but didn't get built until 12/11. It had the original engine in it, down to the coil tag, carb etc.

Intake - 0M1 - Dec 1

Heads - 0L12 - Nov 12

Block - 0L17 - Nov 17

Considering that's a complete original engine with all the parts it came with from the factory, you'd be miles ahead. Most people have zero issues with parts cast in the month preceding the build date.

I think it'll be fine, serialized to me is only when Ford received the order and put it in the system to be scheduled. Based on your Marti build date of 10/5, you are right where you need to be. My old 71 XR-7 was serialized and ordered on 11/20, but didn't get built until 12/11. It had the original engine in it, down to the coil tag, carb etc.

Intake - 0M1 - Dec 1

Heads - 0L12 - Nov 12

Block - 0L17 - Nov 17

Considering that's a complete original engine with all the parts it came with from the factory, you'd be miles ahead. Most people have zero issues with parts cast in the month preceding the build date.

Ah, I just wondered because my hood latch, fenders, etc are stamped 9/22/70. I'll have to drive out then

Did you see the motor on the 71-73 Facebook group???  People even commented "someone" was looking for a Sept block !!    In western Wisc too !!   Close, cheap right date code !!!!!!!

Mark

Did you see the motor on the 71-73 Facebook group???  People even commented "someone" was looking for a Sept block !!    In western Wisc too !!   Close, cheap right date code !!!!!!!

Mark

yes i paid him $300 to hold it til I go get it around 2 weeks

Mark

Yeah, that was me. I saw the date code and how complete it was and immediately came here to let icejawa know

Mark

Where in Wisconsin?

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Mark

Where in Wisconsin?

54169 - Sherwood?  Looks to be about 2hrs from you Tony.

Mark

Where in Wisconsin?

sherwood WI i believe

Not too far, but with the virus thingy around us it is a bit farther!

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Does anyone know a service that would ship the engine I bought from Sherwood, WI to Cleveland, OH? I would rather not drive the 16 hours round trip but I have to I will.

The best way I think is to use Fastenal stores. They can ship freight store-to-store. If the person you bought it from can bring the engine to a Fastenal, for about $100 they will ship it to a fastenal near you. I have done that in the past. There are two Fastenal stores near Sherwood, WI.

Agree with midlife

I think you would want to look it over, turn the crank

Also any shipping co you use will deny any damage claim as it is a used part.

The only safe way to ship it would be mount it on a pallet and build a wooden frame around it

You could even rent a small hatch back for a couple of days, if you don't want to drive the Jeep

Make sure you you take a tire and some 4 x 4 s

• Like 1

Ohio Mustang Supply

440-949-2556

http://www.7173mustangs.com/images/oms_sig_banner.jpg

I'd drive as well. You could rent a pickup from Enterprise for $100 or so for a couple days. Throw a tire in the back and set some good straps. Food, beverages, a good friend and off ya go.

It's part of the adventure, done it many times. It's be a treat with the current situation and minimal traffic.

Just be sure to put the engine against the front of the bed and strap it in place. You don't want 500lbs of iron coming your way from the tailgate in an emergency stop situation.

Yes thanks to hemikiller letting me know of one on facebook, I got it decently cheap and I'll be checking everything this week. The original spark plugs are there still. Its claimed to have 30k miles on it but you never can be sure. So far it looks better than the "restored" engine the builders did for the previous owner. Its got all the parts it came off the assembly plant with including the water pump. Very exciting

wow. Nice. Congrats!