Trunk paint color shade for 1973 Mustangs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
Hi guys, 

I read about hundreds of posts about the right spatter paint for the trunk area in the past years and most of it makes the path clear to go for me. But the last question for me is: is it right, that the original color for the 1973 cars is much more darker than the earlier years, like 1971? More of a black than a grey? 

I saw lots of photos about this but most of them are not unrestored cars. And there are 1971 trunks that are of an almost black color and 1973 trunks which are a very light color. Some say so, others so. And photos from original cars are mostly overexposed of light so you cannot clearly say if it should be black or grey... 

Could anybody answer this for the 1973 Mustangs and provide any photos? 

Thank you very much!

Hi guys, 

I read about hundreds of posts about the right spatter paint for the trunk area in the past years and most of it makes the path clear to go for me. But the last question for me is: is it right, that the original color for the 1973 cars is much more darker than the earlier years, like 1971? More of a black than a grey? 

I saw lots of photos about this but most of them are not unrestored cars. And there are 1971 trunks that are of an almost black color and 1973 trunks which are a very light color. Some say so, others so. And photos from original cars are mostly overexposed of light so you cannot clearly say if it should be black or grey... 

Thank you very much!

Definitely darker in ‘73 in comparison to my ‘71. But, this is my opinion and how I would restore a ‘73 if needed. This is my unrestored ‘73 Hardtop trunk...

Hi guys, 

Thank you very much!

Definitely darker in ‘73 in comparison to my ‘71. But, this is my opinion and how I would restore a ‘73 if needed. This is my unrestored ‘73 Hardtop trunk...
That's exactly what I needed - thank you so much  :thankyouyellow: :goodpost: :bravo:

That pic does not look original. Here is my 73 one owner never restored. I have never found a trunk paint any where near the right color. I need for my convertible. 

Is the back of your fold down seat painted the same trunk spatter or is it black or a different color? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is painted black satin and it does have the spatter paint over spray along the bottom. Can get better pic today car is back here out of the museum.

Great ty

That pic does not look original. Here is my 73 one owner never restored. I have never found a trunk paint any where near the right color. I need for my convertible. 
Is the back of your fold down seat painted the same trunk spatter or is it black or a different color? Thanks

That would be appreciated much, too  ::thumb::

Last edited by a moderator:

Haha... Very original trunk, not your’s, mine. Not sure how you can look at a pic and make a statement like that? Gotta love the internet.... Carry on.

Back