Who is best in clock repair?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManniB

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hello,

I need to get the center console clock of my '71 Mach 1 repaired. I'm not sure whether I should go for a repair of the mechanical movement or have a quartz movement installed, but I tend to the latter because of battery drain during longer storage periods and reliability.

I have found four options where I might get the clock repaired:

- Clock Works

- Instruments Services, Inc.

- Omicron

- West Coast Classic Cougar

Can anyone of you recommend one of the above companies for clock repair? Any other option?

Thank you, Manfred

ya...dont think the clock in mine works either..hell not sure if it even is hooked up...but i wouldnt mind knowing what clock is best to replace it with my self..lol...im sure the quartz is best...but im a bit of a purest..and wouldnt probably try to get it as original as possible..lol

Give these guy's a call ( North Hollywood Speedometer and Clock . http://www.nhspeedometer.com/ I used them MANY years ago and back then they received repairs from all over the country. One of the first places that was known for adapting speedometers for gear changes and such. Not sure about them now. Good luck

Hello,

I need to get the center console clock of my '71 Mach 1 repaired. I'm not sure whether I should go for a repair of the mechanical movement or have a quartz movement installed, but I tend to the latter because of battery drain during longer storage periods and reliability.

- Clock Works

- Omicron

Can anyone of you recommend one of the above companies for clock repair? Any other option?

Thank you, Manfred
Hi Manfred,

I have a '71 Grande with the console clock. You may try www.paspeedo.com as they repair a variety of gauges for different cars. But judging from the appearance of their website, it won't be cheap:-/ I was lucky to have a clock that worked mechanically but had burned coils and points. Before we go on I assume we are talking about Ford part number D1ZF15000-3 as stamped on the back of the clock. Are you able to use the stem to set the time? Have you taken the back off the clock and were you able to rewind the main spring by hand and have the clock tick down until the points touched? If all that works you probably have burnt points and/or coils. The way the clock works is the main spring winds down and shorts a set of points that then charge a couple of coils turning them into magnets and firing a hammer that rewinds the main spring. This whole process takes about 40 seconds. The problem being, the points and coils are subject to full battery power and wear out over time. A friend built a device that uses a capacitor bank to charge the coils when the points make contact. The points only act as a switch and once the capacitor bank has fired the coils, that's it until the caps recharge during the main spring wind down. You could always go quartz, but you miss that 'tic tic tic' and the jerky second hand:D As I remember, quartz movements were hard to find at the time.

mike

Hi guys,

I finally had my clock upgraded to a quartz movement. Although they aren't the cheapest, I sent my clock to The Clock Works for service. Teplacing the movement was $149.95, and I opted for a new lense for $35. International shipping to Germany was $40 and customs duty €30.

As said initialy, it wasn't cheap. But they did a great job, turn around time was 2 weeks including international shipping.

If you are looking to have your clock converted to a quartz movement I would recommend their great service.

- Manfred

Hello,

- Clock Works

- Omicron

Thank you, Manfred
Manfred,

I had mine refurbished by Jerry at Clock Works. Did a fantastic job. I didn't go with quartz, but original workings. Keeps excellent time now and looks new. Cost was around $80

Marty

Back