WHat radiotor set up for big block?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dohcsvt

Reaction score
My Car
!973 Mach 1. White w/black stripes. Originally 3512V, now a ford racing parts 460 crate engine.
Hello all. I have a 73 Mach that I have transplanted a Ford Racing 460 crate engine into. It has a decent sized aluminum radiator with a nice 16" Zirgo fan. As long as I am rolling down the freeway all is well. However, once I come to a stop the temperature starts to creep up. I am interested in any set ups that are working VERY WELL on a big block swap. Thanks for any input. 

P.S. I cannot fit dual 16' fans on my set up or I already would have.

Before you change anything do you have the correct temp. thermostat in place? If too cold a thermostat or no thermostat the water does not stay in the radiator long enough to cool. 

If you are an automatic putting a stand alone transmission cooler on will help also. 

I also found that running the Lucas gas treatment for upper cylinder and valve lubricant reduces engine temp also. I only have clevelands but all engines react the same.

Hello all. I have a 73 Mach that I have transplanted a Ford Racing 460 crate engine into. It has a decent sized aluminum radiator with a nice 16" Zirgo fan. As long as I am rolling down the freeway all is well. However, once I come to a stop the temperature starts to creep up. I am interested in any set ups that are working VERY WELL on a big block swap. Thanks for any input. 

P.S. I cannot fit dual 16' fans on my set up or I already would have.
Do you have a fan shroud?

I am running a stock style copper/brass 3 row radiator with an 18" mechanical fan, a fan clutch and a 180° t stat. On the hottest days it will creep up to about 205 when idling for extended periods of time but never overheats.

If your having trouble cooling it and want to throw the kitchen sink at it, I would recommend a quality two row aluminum radiator with at least 1" tubes with a factory Ford Contour dual fan or Spal dual fans.

Back