C6 front pump bushing question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dohcsvt

Reaction score
My Car
!973 Mach 1. White w/black stripes. Originally 3512V, now a ford racing parts 460 crate engine.
Hello, I just placed a new monster transmission in my 73 big block Mach. I used an ATI converter that I bought years ago, but set on my shelf awaiting its need. Anyway, I pull the tranny look at the instructions for the ATI converter and it notes that the bronze front pump bushing must be replaced with a babbitt one. This caused me to wonder why. I did not want to disassemble a brand new transmission to replace a bushing. I measured the torque converter hub against the stock unit and they were within a couple thousandths of each other. I went to other companies web sites (B&M and ATI) and read their instructions and found nothing about replacing this bushing. I made a conscious decision to install the converter with the bushing that came in the transmission. I have started the car and put about 30 miles on it and have experienced no issues. 

My question is does anyone on here know why ATI recommends this and no other companies do? I am going to call ATI this week and ask them directly, but I just figured I would posy up here for now and see if you guys knew anything?

Thanks for any input.

I have seen that also and wondered why some companies specify the Babbit.

I can only assume they prefer the Babbit as it is softer and maybe a bit kinder to the converter snout .

I build a lot of transmissions and find the Babbit bushes are always quite worn.

On rebuilds I always fit the Bronze type bushes , to me they are a lot more robust and last longer .

I'd be interested in the ATI response .

Last edited by a moderator:
The babbitt is used as a lesser of the two evils if there is loss of or contamination of the tranny fluid. Better to wear the babbitt bushing then the hub of the torque converter. These are often used in machinery where fluid failure, contamination, or just plain wear takes it toll on the Babbitt and not the shaft or hub making repair cost a lot less expensive.

Edit - Should have noted above that a Babbitt is made of a softer metal alloy which has a lower melting point - thus it is the sacrificial of the parts. This provides time to catch the problem before major damage is done such as a shaft being scared due to a standard bearing failure.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can only assume they prefer the Babbit as it is softer and maybe a bit kinder to the converter snout .

I build a lot of transmissions and find the Babbit bushes are always quite worn.

On rebuilds I always fit the Bronze type bushes , to me they are a lot more robust and last longer .

I know you don't know me but I know you have provided expert advice on Ford transmissions on many different forums over the years and you will be a great addition to the knowledge base here. Thank you for joining and thank you in advance for your contributions here.

Welcome Gregaust!

I meant to post this up awhile back.

Called ATI and asked about this, got what I consider a half ass answer.

I asked about the babbit bushing and was told that the stock bushing could damage the converter hub. I asked if this could cause converter failure (roll eyes) and was told yes...it could cause a leak.

I do not consider a leak "converter failure" and also, I do not know how that would cause a leak when it does not affect the front seal...

Anyway, that is their official stance, I do not know what to make of it, but my converter is and operating fine with a bronze bushing.

I know you don't know me but I know you have provided expert advice on Ford transmissions on many different forums over the years and you will be a great addition to the knowledge base here. Thank you for joining and thank you in advance for your contributions here.

Welcome Gregaust!
Thank you for the welcome .. Always happy to assist if I can...

I meant to post this up awhile back.

Called ATI and asked about this, got what I consider a half ass answer.

I asked about the babbit bushing and was told that the stock bushing could damage the converter hub. I asked if this could cause converter failure (roll eyes) and was told yes...it could cause a leak.

I do not consider a leak "converter failure" and also, I do not know how that would cause a leak when it does not affect the front seal...

Anyway, that is their official stance, I do not know what to make of it, but my converter is and operating fine with a bronze bushing.

That bronze bushing will be fine . The only Babbit types I've used have only been if the bronze are out of stock :)

Back