Safety Inspection Time...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7173Vert

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible, 1973 Hardtop

Took the ‘73 in yesterday to be checked for its safety so I can transfer the car into my name (of course during our first snow fall of the year). Probably the first time the car has ever been touched by snow... I have not looked underneath the car over at all, I know the brakes are soft and the master cylinder has been leaking so some work needed there. Otherwise, should be fine. The guy I used to build my 429cj engine is doing the check for me and although he loves his Chevelle’s, he likes to work on all the old classic’s. I know him well enough and he puts enough faith in me, that he will issue the safety certificate with the understanding that I will correct any possible borderline deficiencies... Hope to bring the car back at the end of the week, in much better weather...

Last edited by a moderator:
i am planning to just drive mine to get it inspected. Of course it is only like 3 miles away. Are things different in Canada? I think most cops here would give you a pass. Mine had current CO tags when i picked it up and i drove it so not worried.

Good luck on your certificate.  I like the way the car is tied down.  To many times they get out the hooks and put over the axles destroying brake lines.
Good eye... He initially went to put the hooks on the rear diff area and I was about to say something... when he stopped, put the hooks away and pulled out the straps... That earned him a $20 lunch bill from me... Shows he cares about the old car's...

i am planning to just drive mine to get it inspected.  Of course it is only like 3 miles away.  Are things different in Canada?  I think most cops here would give you a pass.  Mine had current CO tags when i picked it up and i drove it so not worried.
Dicey up here... I have done the short drives also, but figured my identification at the time as a firefighter would help me if I ever got pulled over. Never had to test the theory, although this relationship did help me with a couple speeding tickets over the year's  :whistling:

Nice!  Good call on the wheel harnesses.

That's one thing I like about the Lakewood traction bars that came with mine - having built-in tie-down points, since they're set up for standard or staggered shock applications (they have both mounting points available on each side).

Just out of curiosity, what all is involved with a Canadian Vehicle Safety Inspection?

I know each state can be a little different, but for a Texas vehicle safety inspection the following must work properly:

• Headlights (including hi-beams)
  • Parking lights
  • Signal lights
  • Brake lights
  • Reverse lights
  • License plate light
  • E-brake (must hold the car in-place when engaged)
  • Wipers (blades in good condition)
  • Horn
  • Brakes (must stop within a reasonable distance from 30 mph)
  • 2 rear view mirrors (windshield, plus at least one side)
  • Muffler/Exhaust in working order
  • Seat Belts functional
  • Steering is functional
  • Wheels secured
  • Tires serviceable
  • Window tint within acceptable legal limits
  • VIN matches registration
  • Insurance current
  • Emissions Test (depending on the county)

No inspection required in Michigan.
None here in CT anymore unless the car is from out of state. There isn't even an annual safety inspection. There was a very thorough inspection before issuing a permanent registration, but DMV killed it off to save costs. Used to be real tough to get an old car through, but that pushed a lot of people to go rogue and get their cars registered in Maine. At one point there was probably half of every cruise and car show registered there.

No inspection required with historic / QQ plates in NJ either. Another benefit in NJ, I still have a hard time believing it, you only pay the initial registration fee and they renew them for you forever and are you ready FREE !!! I am sure that some liberal bean counter will figure this out and make us pay....

Thanks Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 7 counties in Ohio that require emission testing. The below are exempt.

Vehicles over 25 years old.

Commercial vehicles that weigh over 10,000 lbs.

Motorcycles.

Recreational vehicles.

Motor homes.

Historical and collector vehicles.

Parade and exhibition vehicles.

Nice!  Good call on the wheel harnesses.

That's one thing I like about the Lakewood traction bars that came with mine - having built-in tie-down points, since they're set up for standard or staggered shock applications (they have both mounting points available on each side).

Just out of curiosity, what all is involved with a Canadian Vehicle Safety Inspection?

I know each state can be a little different, but for a Texas vehicle safety inspection the following must work properly:

• Headlights (including hi-beams)
  • Parking lights
  • Signal lights
  • Brake lights
  • Reverse lights
  • License plate light
  • E-brake (must hold the car in-place when engaged)
  • Wipers (blades in good condition)
  • Horn
  • Brakes (must stop within a reasonable distance from 30 mph)
  • 2 rear view mirrors (windshield, plus at least one side)
  • Muffler/Exhaust in working order
  • Seat Belts functional
  • Steering is functional
  • Wheels secured
  • Tires serviceable
  • Window tint within acceptable legal limits
  • VIN matches registration
  • Insurance current
  • Emissions Test (depending on the county)

It is not s a Canadian inspection per se, but a Provincial requirement, similar to the individual State requirements South of the Border. In Ontario, they have stiffened the requirements when it comes to the mechanical inspection component of the Safety inspection, mechanics now have more paperwork (what else is new...) and must measure and document items such as brake lining thickness... We had emission test requirements for year's but our current government eliminated the need for this test, thankfully. It served it's purpose 20 year's ago getting all of the clunker's off the road, but new car's today... no real need. The rest of what you list is pretty similar to our's as well, except throw in the salt road and eventual rust issues that must be confirmed as not affecting the car's safety and reliability...

Sure sounds like a pain, although it does have to help with keeping unsafe older cars off the road. I can remember when we had emissions testing, but they did away with that along time ago. It was a joke anyway, you could give the technician 10 bucks or so and they would get car to pass. The sensor wouldn’t register much laying on the ground, lol.

Here in North Carolina after 35 years no inspection required. 

I spent lots of time in South Africa they had the most through inspection I have ever seen for vehicles used in a business. 

They did actual dynamic brake testing and the car was on a four post to test the suspension. Was way more than anything in the U.S. that I had seen. 

I see no harm in inspections. When I built my garage many said I should do as a farm building so no inspections. My reply is why? I want to know if something is wrong. 

Some day these cars will be banned from being started I am sure, lol.

Ken, 

that looks awesome, thank you for the pics! Love the first one most with the strut... 

Looking forward to just more of them...  ;) 

What do you mean by "spray bomb paint in some places" - somebody did some overspray on the undercarriage to "improve" the overall look on the underside?

Ken, 

that looks awesome, thank you for the pics! Love the first one most with the strut... 

Looking forward to just more of them...  ;) 

What do you mean by "spray bomb paint in some places" - somebody did some overspray on the undercarriage to "improve" the overall look on the underside?
Yes, even being in California all its life, bare steel parts still get coated with a light surface rust over time. Someone thought this might reduce the possibility of a sale so out came the black spray bomb... It’s not a huge deal, for some one like me though, it will have to be removed. I will tear the underside of the car down next winter and go through everything. 

BTW, the car required two new rear brake cylinders and a Master Cylinder to pass the required inspection. Oh, the antifreeze had to be topped up as we have much colder weather here...This work is being done today and then I will bring the car home soon.

Back