coil spring

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

164runner

Reaction score
My Car
73 mach1, medium blue, 351 C-6
nose of car sits a little higher with new engine, aluminum heads and intake, AC removed [ did not work]. if I cut the coils, for every 1/2 coil, how much will it reduce the height? or should I contact eaton spring? like the current ride of car, do not want it to ride harder.

If you cut the coils, it will increase the spring rate. How much it drops per 1/2 coil depends on how many coils there are in your current springs. I'd recommend you trim 1/4 coil, drive the car, repeat until you get the to the ride height you like.

If you cut the coils, it will increase the spring rate. How much it drops per 1/2 coil depends on how many coils there are in your current springs. I'd recommend you trim 1/4 coil, drive the car, repeat until you get the to the ride height you like.
+1 I went through a trying experience on my green '73 vert when I order new lowering springs from Eaton Spring in Detroit. As I recall, I ordered either a 1" of 1 1/2" drop front spring replacement. Went through all the hassle of installing them and the car was a disaster... Too much of a drop, was topping out on every bump.  Removed them (brand new) and put them in the recycle bin, a few $100 wasted... I then took the factory springs and cut off a 1/4 coil to get the level I wanted. Took me two try's... That's 4 lovely coil installs for this job, one of the worst job's IMO...

Just a note from an original owner. These cars always sat with the nose high. I put helper springs on the rear shocks of my car first week when brand new. They sat low in the rear. I have the Ford specs for the ride height but will have to find it. 

My car in the pic has the helper springs around the rear shocks. is 100% original I am only owner.

Back