Short console from long

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n_reckless

Reaction score
My Car
'72 Mach 1
[url=https://ibb.co/n0k1tJg][img]https://i.ibb.co/xs5gdTC/42440948-10216406433904294-5071779102906646528-n.jpg[/img][/url]
My long console was such a bad shape beyond repairable so I've fabricated a short one from it.

I'd cut the front section from the bottom side of the armrest section which has the same angle like the rest of the console all around so it was a pretty easy job with basic hand tools. I thought I'd share it if someone is in the same shoes. I thought about getting a shorty for the shifter but it turned out pretty nice and looks a little better than the factory shorty imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
My long console was such a bad shape beyond repairable so I've fabricated a short one from it.

I cut the front section from the bottom side of the armrest section which has the same angle like the rest of the console all around so it was a pretty easy job with basic hand tools. I thought I'd share it if someone is in the same shoes. I thought about getting a shorty for the shifter but it turned out pretty nice and looks a little better than the factory shorty imo.

That works! Nice job.

Geoff.

Just finished the chrome details. If someone's having trouble with the chrome  lining this works pretty well. https://www.walmart.com/ip/CHARTPAK-INC-703102-MOLOTOW-LIQUID-CHROME-PUMP-MARKER-2MM/536663923?

Yes, the Molotow chrome pens work very well. If you have a HobbyLobby they stock them in the store. You can also airbrush with it, but I haven't tried that, yet. You can get the refill size at Amazon for airbrushing.

That does look good. I'm just getting ready to refurbish my short console, I may hold off and see if I can come up with a damaged long console (cheap) and copy you :)

Wasn't a big deal to make it. I only used some sanding blocks, epoxy and a snip to cut a the plastic for the front then sand it to shape.

It can be much easier with the specific tools for plastic fabrication but I didn't wanted to waste money for tools I'd only use once. 

Also this is the first time I worked with plastic so plan B was the regular shorty console if I'd screw up anything. :) But fortunately it turned out pretty nice.

Like you said the Molotow airbrush would be prettier but I lack a lot of patience to mask it. :)

These are made from ABS plastic, so they can be glued once the paint is removed. ABS pipe cement will work.

For me, I'd weld it, but a simple way is to use an 80 watt flat tipped solder iron and sort of stitch the material together then if you take some scrap, use it as a filler and blend in the edges. Once done, sand and finish with SEM Trim Black.

I'll have to look for that "chrome" paint product in Canada, if not maybe next time I'm over.

Geoff.

PS. JB Weld Plastic Bonder is excellent for this job.

OMG you broke the cardinal rule from back in the 70s' YOU HAVE NO ASH TRAY. 

I guess your long one had not been bolted down does not look like carpet was faded or outlined by the console. 

I took the console out of the 72 Mach 1 T-5 I have and there melted into the original carpet was a cigarette. Someone was smoking on the assembly line put it on the driveshaft tunnel and someone else tossed the console on top of the lit cig. and screwed it down. 

I have heard stories of how they use to pass their their joints of weed down the line, lol. And we wonder why there were so many quality issues.

I know, I wanted to build the ashtray too but decided not to because I'm a smoker and It is hard to stand smoking while driving what I really like. :D But it'd be a shame to keep smoking in it. :) Well it was bolted down and but the outlines appeared only around the front section so I'm lucky :)

Back