Starting circuit help.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dohcsvt

Reaction score
My Car
!973 Mach 1. White w/black stripes. Originally 3512V, now a ford racing parts 460 crate engine.
My 73 Mach won’t crank. Back ground info. Solenoid went bad, I... like a knuckle head misdiagnosed it as a bad ignition switch. Replace the ignition itch and it won’t start (1 week ago). Head down to oreillys and get a solenoid. Put it in, car starts,  but it constant 12 volts at I terminal  :mad: (bad solenoid). Pull that solenoid off yesterday and go get a warranty replacement and all is good car starts, no constant 12 volts at I terminal. 

I start rewiring the rats nest that was my aftermarket gages and then want to check and make sure they work and the car won’t crank...GRRRR! Jump the solenoid and the car cranks fine. Take voltage reading at the S terminal and no 12 volts when trying to crank...is my new ignition switch bad I ask myself? So I Disconnect the ignition switch and connect the one I recently replaced and same symptoms.

My question, is there something under the dash I may have messed with when I was working on my gages that may be causing this? I looked at the wiring diagram and it appears yellow wire from ignition switch straight to solenoid... nothing else in the circuit. Any insight?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you check the voltage at the yellow wire at the ignition switch? My first thought is that the fusible link got zapped, but that would take out headlights and everything else that is powered from inside the car. Did you remove the firewall connector or fuse panel? Is the ignition switch adjusted correctly?

The start wire is Red-LightBlue. Check for continuity from that pin on the ignition switch to the S terminal on the solenoid.

Did you bump your automatic shifter? Is it out of Park or Neutral?

Did you bump your automatic shifter?  Is it out of Park or Neutral?
I feel like such an idiot... face palm a million times over....

Operator error... car was in reverse!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you bump your automatic shifter?  Is it out of Park or Neutral?
I feel like such an idiot... face palm a million times over....

Operator error... car was in reverse!
We've all done it
Not quite...those with manual trannys tend not to do this for some strange reason...

Thanks for all of the feedback! I have owned this car since 1995 and am excited to get it to the track this spring!?

Back