In trunk brackets / taillight panel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Hey guys,

While test fitting my TL panel I wondered about how to put in the brackets. Do they go onto the panel all the way like this:

a34c4591b94f4c357d59adc43e042aa7.jpg

Or pulled back a bit (so the lip sits in the thickened trunk floor) like this:

50744eb9c55b59fcdb41f41954f4f653.jpg

The old ones were put in the latter way but I suspect that to be wrong...

Cheers!

Vincent.

Mine don’t sit flat so I’m guessing I need to grind down the new trunk pan so the two match up. I didn’t consider this when I welded in the taillight panel. I just lined up along the bottom and made sure the weatherstrip channels lined up. I guess that’s part of the learning experience. I’ve got other issues but I really don’t want to remove the panel now it’s welded in. My right quarter panel top is now to close to the trunk lid. I’m dealing with a car I bought that was apparently rear ended and the PO did a good job of bondo’ing to make it look right. There’s damage under the panel extension so I’m buying that part to weld in. Maybe while there I can adjust the gap once I remove those weld in that upper right area of my taillight panel to get the new piece in. Ideas?

Mine don’t sit flat so I’m guessing I need to grind down the new trunk pan so the two match up. I didn’t consider this when I welded in the taillight panel. I just lined up along the bottom and made sure the weatherstrip channels lined up. I guess that’s part of the learning experience. I’ve got other issues but I really don’t want to remove the panel now it’s welded in. My right quarter panel top is now to close to the trunk lid. I’m dealing with a car I bought that was apparently rear ended and the PO did a good job of bondo’ing to make it look right. There’s damage under the panel extension so I’m buying that part to weld in. Maybe while there I can adjust the gap once I remove those weld in that upper right area of my taillight panel to get the new piece in. Ideas?
I found my gap on the other side too small (nearly touched the lid) and ended up making a 4-5" cut in the top of the quarter, close to the lid and after welding I have a much better gap.

I finally found a detailed diagram in the Body Assembly Manual. My taillight panel was about 1/4” lower than the pan. I just manipulated the brackets until they fit. Not sure why the gap. I set the panel in matching the weatherstrip track. It’s good now. 

Back