429 Advice needed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
A co-worker saw pictures of my car and asked if I wanted a 429 engine he has back on the farm.

I don't have any reliable details beyond that. (He thinks he knows his cars really well, but this went from being a guaranteed 428SCJ to a "High rise 429")  Anyway, I am not quite sure what he has, or what condition it is in, but I can have it.

So here is what I don't know.  Do all 429 engines have parts of value? I know they were in everything from Mustangs to trucks to station wagons.  Are the blocks all the same?  Any value to the unknown pedigree 429?

No room to start collecting junk again, but if it has potential value I might take it in.

Please help!

kcmash

A co-worker saw pictures of my car and asked if I wanted a 429 engine he has back on the farm.

I don't have any reliable details beyond that. (He thinks he knows his cars really well, but this went from being a guaranteed 428SCJ to a "High rise 429")  Anyway, I am not quite sure what he has, or what condition it is in, but I can have it.

So here is what I don't know.  Do all 429 engines have parts of value? I know they were in everything from Mustangs to trucks to station wagons.  Are the blocks all the same?  Any value to the unknown pedigree 429?

No room to start collecting junk again, but if it has potential value I might take it in.

Please help!

kcmash
A lot depends on condition. Without casting numbers it could be any 385 series engine. If it is a pre 1972 Thunderjet (most likely) the block and heads have some value as cores, maybe 300-500. If by some miracle its a real deal CJ/SCJ you hit the jack pot. Get some numbers off the heads and block and we can see what it is. Since its is on a farm there is a possibility this may be one of the 370 ci industrial variants. Only way I know to determine that is to measure the bore.

Also of note, I believe if its a CJ or SCJ you will see CJ or SCJ scratched into the casting in the bell housing area.

I am no BB expert for sure but one quick way to know if the heads are SCJ or CJ is to pull a valve cover bolt out that is directly above an intake runner. If you can insert a small diameter screw driver into the tapped hole and it goes into the runner it is a SCJ or CJ. If it bottoms out in the hole just a run of the mill 429. 

Like stated casting numbers are the thing you need to see.

Some of the larger trucks had the Super Duty option for the 429 which had the good rods and a steel crankshaft but the snout is a different diameter than the 429 CJ or SCJ. They had the run of the mill heads also so not as good.

429s and 460s can have the same block casting number, the stroke is different, same bore. If it still has the ID tag attached to the intake manifold it will tell you what the engine was originally. A popular upgrade used to be swapping the rods, crankshaft, pistons, etc for 460 parts. The only way to tell for sure is to measure the stroke or get the part numbers off the crank or rods.

SCJ and CJ have the same block numbers, D0OE-B or D0VE-A, SCJ will have 4-bolt caps, CJ will have 2-bolt caps.

The desirable heads are D0AE-H or D0OE-R with the small chambers and adjustable valves, guide plates and screw-in studs.

I would get it, especially for free. It has to have some value. I'm in NM or we could talk prices. I have the 429 in my vert and would like to build another one. Ed Raver

Thanks everyone. this is very helpful.  I will see what I can find out.

kcmash

So I finally caught up with the guy today.  He said it is a 429 in a Lincoln.  He would have to pull it.  Should I ask for the tranny and driveshaft too?

kcmash

Back