Rear Axle bearing and retainer

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parkka

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
[url=https://ibb.co/cgCFb3N][img]https://i.ibb.co/j6WMVfL/IMG-20190713-145003409.jpg[/img][/url]
Shown below is my 28 spline rear axle from an 8 inch casing.

One of the parts required for the rebuild is the rear wheel bearing retainer (NPD # 4020-1).

This retainer with the small hollow at the bottom is also shown in the parts manual for Ford with what appears to be a gasket (parts 4234 & 1001).

However, my axle set up does not have this.  It appears the retainer is flat on all sides without the hollow and there is no gasket.

Do i need to replace the retainer i have with the one shown in the parts manual and advertised in NPD?

Am i missing something here?

Thanks

Dan

https://ibb.co/KNHQg5w
Retainer.jpg
[/URL]

I do not have any cars with the 8" rear so I cannot help there. I would do some searching on the internet. Sometimes they use generic pics on the catalogs so might not bee the same. I have earlier mustangs with 8" but not where I can get to them.

I will look if Ford shop manual later and see what it shows.

I had a shop manual here in house so I scanned the couple of exploded views that it has. Not much help they just say typical not specific to 8" 9".

Are you sure it is a 8" rear? Can you post pic of center section from front and rear? Someone might have replaced with a different rear.

IMG.pdf

IMG_0001.pdf

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    510.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0001.pdf
    720.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the part you are holding is the 1001 gasket circled in your diagram. The actual retainer (4020) is between the bearing and axle flange in your picture. The bearing has to be removed to get to it.

i should have clarified what i was looking for. You are correct Don, the gasket i am holding is 1001, but that is not the part i am interested in. The retainer shown in photograph below with the arrow is what concerns me. It has flat sides and the part from NPD has a dip with a hollow. I did check other websites, and they all show the same one as NPD.

Also below is a photo of my center housing.

Thanks,

Your setup in the axle pic is typical of the 8" & 9" axle assemblies installed in the Mustang. The part you're holding is the axle shaft flange gasket.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3656991&cc=1132692&jsn=3305

The axle retainer is between the bearing and the flange with the green arrow. Not something that is normally replaced, is yours bent or damaged? That retainer with the hollow is nothing I've ever seen on a 71-73.

As David noted, the parts diagram is a generic image to denote similar parts throughout many product lines pulled directly from the Ford MPC. When you drill down to the 1001 group number in the MPC, it'll call out the specific part numbers and they may or may not look like the pictures.

Can you get a picture of it with it turned 180°? The hollow is to direct any leaking fluids to a hole in the backing plate so it doesn't get into the brake drum and shoes, so is desirable. I don't remember seeing one without it, maybe some very early ones were that way.

Based on what I have read from everyone here on the forum and the RockAuto photo and pdf's, it appears my retainer is the correct one and as Don indicated, it appears the one from NPD and other sites is an extra almost aftermarket replacement for drainage. My retainer is not bent, so i don't need to replace it. I was just very concerned about why it did not appear as the one's with the hollow and worried that someone else may have been in here and screwed it up.

Attached below are the two additional photos requested. Very rusty. no oil came out but bearing still spins smooth.

Thanks to everyone. It took my worries away. I'll post a rebuild photo later.

Hemikiller, Sorry to piggy-back onto this post, but I am removing a 9" rear axle for service today, but I'm sending it out to be done as I don't have tools needed.

My question is, from the chart, is the 1001 the same for  a 71 car? The part number is D0AZ-1001 A, so I wondered. I will need to order seals and maybe bearings.

Geoff.

Maybe it is the angle of the picture or something but that bearing looks much wider that I remember them. That looks almost like a roller bearing like you see in the spicer type rear today. Was not all the 8" and 9" ball bearing on the axle. Got me curious will look today at some of mine. 

I know I took a 9" out of a 72 mustang and put in my 69 ford van. The bearings in it I know were ball because I busted probably a dozen in it from overloading it. Loaded so heavy once it pushed the axle out of the bearing and retainer the tire started hitting the side panel is what kept the axle in. I broke so many I kept bearings, torch and long pipe to put them on with on the side of the road. 

The outer races would split from the load.

Hemikiller, Sorry to piggy-back onto this post, but I am removing a 9" rear axle for service today, but I'm sending it out to be done as I don't have tools needed.

My question is, from the chart, is the 1001 the same for  a 71 car? The part number is D0AZ-1001 A, so I wondered. I will need to order seals and maybe bearings.

Geoff.
Geoff - 71-73 8" and 9" are all the same except for 31 spline axles, which can use the seals for 28 spline since the factory axle sleeve is no longer available.

Wheel bearing - RW207CCRA

Rear axle seal - 9569S

Axle flange seal - J26095

Geoff.
Geoff - 71-73 8" and 9" are all the same except for 31 spline axles, which can use the seals for 28 spline since the factory axle sleeve is no longer available.

Wheel bearing - RW207CCRA

Rear axle seal - 9569S

Axle flange seal - J26095
 Thank you so much. Great information. 

I'm going to post on my axle seperately.

Geoff.

Back