Electrical line from fuel tank

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1, 429 Super Cobra Jet, 4.11, Detroit Locker
Where specifically does the electrical wiring, starting from the rubber grommet plugged into the fuel tank, actually feed into (via another grommet) the chassis and then hook up with the wiring harness? Where is the opening located on a 1971 Mach 1?

Thanks.

On a 71, that plug is integral to the tail-light harness. IIRC, there's a grommet close by that allows it to enter the trunk area on the driver's side.

On a 71, that plug is integral to the tail-light harness.  IIRC, there's a grommet close by that allows it to enter the trunk area on the driver's side.
Yes I believe that is correct. Runs from tank to drivers side trunk drop off through a rubber grommet into the trunk then runs inside trunk wheel well.

Tim, they are correct.

The grommet is part of the harness

I do have this section of wiring added to your box of parts to be shipped

Tim, they are correct.

The grommet is part of the harness

I do have this section of wiring added to your box of parts to be shipped
Thank you, Don.

I have a Mach 1 wiring harness with this plug; but the plug is three-pronged, not two pronged as the picture of my t ank reveals. How many prongs does your have? Thanks, Tim

Hi

VERY confused about photos/CHOICE of products purchased !!!

Top photo is for a NON HOLLEY (read not SCJ) car, but bottom photo is a repro replacement for a NON "low fuel" light car !!!

What do you have? Or I guess do you have no interest in the NOS Ford 3 prong avail as a C8 Cougar number???

Mark

The 71-73 fuel sending unit has 2 prongs: signal and ground. The plug has 3 pins, but only the two are wired, as the third is simply an empty socket. The third pin is probably for a low fuel sensor used in other models.

Hi

Top photo is for a NON HOLLEY (read not SCJ) car, but bottom photo is a repro replacement for a NON "low fuel" light car !!!

What do you have?  Or I guess do you have no interest in the NOS Ford 3 prong  avail as a C8 Cougar number???

Mark
Mark what 71 - 3 year / models were low fuel available on, I've never see one

Was there a light on the dash or something in the fuel gauge to warn you

Hi

What do you have?  Or I guess do you have no interest in the NOS Ford 3 prong  avail as a C8 Cougar number???

Mark
The top photo came from the 429 Megasite, most likely a 429 CJ Mach 1. 

The bottom photo is of my Mach 1, 429 SCJ, two prong.

The 71-73 fuel sending unit has 2 prongs: signal and ground.  The plug has 3 pins, but only the two are wired, as the third is simply an empty socket.  The third pin is probably for a low fuel sensor used in other models.
Thank you for that clarification. Wondered why the rubber plugs had three prongs, but the sending unit itself only had two prongs. Now I know. Thanks again.

Back