50th Anniversary car meet

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Various
I know 2021 is a while away -- but with me in the UK; from my perspective I need to save up an Enron disaster worth of cash to get over to you guys for a BBQ and car meet.

2021 is this body's 50th birthday ... I would like to think there are a few of you who would like to meet up... even allowing eccentric English (limeys I think you call us) to fly over and have  some beers, burgers, hotdogs etc.   

If I can; I'd like to fly over -- pick up a 351C vert M code off someone - drive it to BBQ with you guys - take the piss outta y'aall. :whistling: ..then have it shipped back here where we still have druids, Morse code, Victorian gas lamps and a government so backward they are still rubbing sticks to make fire.  ::thumb::

waddya say ? ...

plz come up with ideas .. plz help.. if we were to chose a location could it be mid America so everyone can get to it?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the MOM, Mustang Owner's Museum stays open they plan on having a National Mustang Day each April. This year was April 17 - 20. They rented the Charlotte Motor Speedway and had track days, car show each day. Parts and cars were for sale and had several dinners. There were over 1,000 mustangs at the speedway this year. 

It is located in Concord, North Carolina which is about middle of the U.S.A. and close to most of the Mooshine supplies in US.

You could tour the MOM, see the Carpenter private collection of Fox Mustangs and his dads private collection with everything in it. Drive on the track and hopefully meet up with the person you buy the convertible from to take delivery. 

I have a nephew that does import of cars into the port in Savannah Georgia so he could probably do the export to you. If the car is a driver it is much less than a cargo container. When you ship in container if you have extra parts they are much safer locked up.

The way I am headed I might not be around that long, will just have to ride on and see. 

This is one possibility. The other would be the Woodward cruise and Mustang show at the Ford headquarters if they continue that in the fall.

The MOM will do a 50th. Ann celebration for each year model as they come up also but not in April is later in the year. 

PERSONALLY ...I would suggest planing your trip around and existing event (and warm weather) . From a car guys dream - that would be AZ in January/Detroit in Aug .........or the 50th for the 1971 cars in 2021. Sure there are lots of "destinations" BUT those would offer ONE LOCATION , stay for a week or just a couple of days (and not a SINGLE DAY event !!

When you start "combining" with buy a car and ship back (AZ is your better bet IMO) both from a non rust stand point AND the fact that you have ranges of cars from the $2500 outside Phoenix projects to 6 figure cars. Personally I think the best cars are the one at the McDonalds car show AS all of th e locals "that drive their cars" have need to sell so they can start another project for next year. If you do buy a car at an auction you can leave it with a number of "restorers" who have shops JUST TO FIX the many mistakes found AFTER buying cars.

Mark

Don't know if I can road trip the car that far but I'm always looking for somewhere to go with my 5th wheel camper. Sounds like a great idea. Been thinking about heading out west to Yellowstone anyway so this would work out great. Anywhere west of Ohio would be ideal. It would be nice to meet everyone and have a few drinks while talking a little shop and enjoying the cars.

"Concord, North Carolina which is about middle of the U.S.A." Really ??????

What about The All Ford Carlisle event in June?

I like to go to the Carlisle All Ford Nationals. Haven't been there for a couple years. But for our 50th i would be willing to make the drive with the 71.... its only 5 hours for me.

"Concord, North Carolina which is about middle of the U.S.A."  Really ??????
I should have said North to South. There is nothing in the middle but soybeans and corn, lol. I can drive to NY in on day and Fla. in one day. 

That is one reason NASCAR shops ended up in Charlotte area sort in best place for all the travel.

I should have said North to South. There is nothing in the middle but soybeans and corn, lol. I can drive to NY in on day and Fla. in one day. 

That is one reason NASCAR shops ended up in Charlotte area sort in best place for all the travel.

Ahhhhhh ... I just had a thought .... what if Charlotte Motor speedway would allow 100's of 71-73 Mustangs on their raceway  :chin: :jawdrop: There's a business opportunity for the raceway right there !! ...and Charlotte -- the hallowed spiritual ground of awesome, unfettered,  irrefutable, full-blown petrolheadedness  :heart:

Dream Cruise is a week long with all kinds of different events. And the day after, on Sunday is the all Ford show. I know Michigan isn’t in the center of the country, but there’s so much to do. The Dream Cruise is a Huge event. It’s like 15 miles or so one way from the start at Mustang alley up to Pontiac. Then the same back, it’s really something to see!

Ahhhhhh ... I just had a thought .... what if Charlotte Motor speedway would allow 100's of 71-73 Mustangs on their raceway  :chin: :jawdrop: There's a business opportunity for the raceway right there !! ...and Charlotte -- the hallowed spiritual ground of awesome, unfettered,  irrefutable, full-blown petrolheadedness  :heart:
Only if you rent it, lol. You could drive on the track last year I did couple times got to almost 100 on back stretch we held back from pace car and made a run. We ran the Roval course. I was in my 73 convertible. We also tried to break the record for most mustangs in a parade on the track. We had over 1,000 sign up less than 900 made it to track for we did not get it. Is current for US. Belgium has world record now. Mexico use to have it. 

So if you come to the yearly Mustang birthday celebration in Concord you can run on the track. Pic of my car on track and sitting in line. You had to have all the stickers on windshield to get into certain areas.

You know... Texas Motor Speedway is about the closest track to the 'middle of the country' you'll find... but no Mustang museum close by. 

I'd only have to drive about 240 miles to get there with mine, though.  :whistling:

Keeping an eye on this - I'd be up for a visit, no matter where it's at.  ::thumb::

You know... Texas Motor Speedway is about the closest track to the 'middle of the country' you'll find... but no Mustang museum close by. 

I'd only have to drive about 240 miles to get there with mine, though.  :whistling:

Keeping an eye on this - I'd be up for a visit, no matter where it's at.  ::thumb::
I paid to drive Nascar with "Team Texas" at TMS ... they were awesome peeps. ... then we had Buffalo steak at Y.O. Steakhouse in Dallas ... which was the best steak I have ever had.... I love Texas.

We've got more than just corn and soybeans in Iowa! We have hogs too! :)

When I did work for John Deere I was in Iowa a lot. Ankeny, Iowa, Davenport, Ottumwa for hay balers, Waterloo for big tractors, and also in Moline Ill. Worked with the combines, large tractors, compact tractors, hay balers, lawn equipment, commercial lawn equipment and gator. They flew me to German several times to work with engineers there. They kept me busy for about 10 years then they got a new quality expert that was an ass. He had zero common sense and knew nothing about manufacturing. He had 1,100 SPC points on one part. Ford would have 5 or 6. It was impossible to do and I got fed up with him and retired early. Several of the Deere people in the Rusty Palace, nick name for the headquarters, called and tried to get me to stay but I had all I wanted. 

When they closed the Deere museum down by the river they offered to sell me a completely restored 1949 tractor for $10,000 looked like brand new. I had too many habits the way it was. 

When I was working on the combines was talking with the engineers when we were out in the fields doing testing. I made a comment about how much corn and soybeans there was in Iowa. They laughed and said that South American makes the U.S. farms look like hobby farms. One of their test fields of soybeans in S.A. was 70 square miles in one field. The farm has it's own town, school and all workers live there. 

My oldest granddaughter is a high tech farmer, lol. She studied soil and crop science and N.C. State and worked for Bayer Chem. developing new soybeans. She quit them when they sold out to Germany and went to the University of Michigan doing research there. She has a little 25 acre farm of her own in Michigan for her deer hunting.

Back