Brake light switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Statcoy

Reaction score
My Car
302 1971 Mustang Coupe
Just tryna restore it
So I just got my new brake light switch and I got it plugged in but I cant figure out how to get the old one off and the new one on ? ( 71 Coupe 302 ) if that matters! Thanks

That's kind of a tricky maneuver, with limited working space. There's a hairpin clip that holds the switch and brake pushrod onto a pin on the brake pedal that has to be pulled off. The end of it has to be pried out so it can be pull off the pin and the switch and the end of the pushrod pulled off the pin. Then the new switch and brake pushrod has to be installed on the pin at the same time, and the hairpin re-inserted into the pin. There's also a plastic bushing that goes on the pin.

That's kind of a tricky maneuver, with limited working space. There's a hairpin clip that holds the switch and brake pushrod onto a pin on the brake pedal that has to be pulled off. The end of it has to be pried out so it can be pull off the pin and the switch and the end of the pushrod pulled off the pin. Then the new switch and brake pushrod has to be installed on the pin at the same time, and the hairpin re-inserted into the pin. There's also a plastic bushing that goes on the pin.
Thank you that helped a lot! While I'm at it where os the break pressure switch location ?

It's on the brake pedal arm, under the dash, just to the right of the steering column. The pin the switch and push rod are connected to is a little over half way between the pedal and the pivot point at the top of the arm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you that helped a lot! While I'm at it where os the break pressure switch location ?
There is no brake pressure switch on the 71-73 cars. You have the brake light switch on the pedal under the dash, and the dual brake warning switch that is threaded into the proportioning valve on the driver side fender apron below the hood hinge.

Don is correct about installation, it's a PITA, however there is no need to completely remove the pushrod from the pedal pin. You should be able to remove the hairpin clip and the outer nylon spacer, slide the pushrod out a bit and replace the switch. The inner tang of the switch has a "U" punched into it to slip up between the inner nylon spacer and the pushrod.

Awesome y all are a big help I appreciate it

Back