• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB power steering “S” tube

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im looking for the power steering S tube. Something in good shape.
Good luck.  You'll find a few other posts on this topic via the search function.  Not reproduced that we know of, most have made their own, not difficult.

You might find a parts car option so don't give up.  Do you have the locator bracket on the back of the pump ?

PKJ

I have ordered the indexing bracket and nut to attach bracket to pump. I've also ordered the hose support that attaches to the export brace. Now I need to find the S bracket. I'd be interested in hearing of an alternative to stock hose that fits nicely.

Purchased tubing and made my own with tubing bender and double flares. It is close but the original bends were too tight to replicate exact. I prob have it in a box somewhere in the shop. Switched to serpentine belt system and updated pump so didn’t need anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
So If you order the non concourse replacement high pressure hose that does not have the loop over the shock tower brace it will fit without the S-Tube I believe.  If you use a concourse correct you need the tube to clear your exhaust manifold.(Going from memory here)

Anyway, ask Ohio Mustang Supply if they have one,  I bought mine from them but it came off of a parts car he had.  I would think this would be easy to reproduce as even the originals had kinks in them from the sharp bends.

kcmash

I sent my pump out for a rebuild and I’m now reinstalling it. Hit a snag — the supply hose fitting, which attaches to the back of the pump (and has the S Pipe), does not fit. My hose has a female fitting whereas it appears the hose calls for a male fitting. See the photo below from NPD.

And I thought if you can’t find just the s pipe, this may be an option for you.

I think you are putting hose on backwards. The hardline portion of the hose you show there goes into the steering box. the other end attaches to the s-pipe that attaches to the back of the PS pump. The S fitting on the back of the pump is not included with hose nor is it reproduced.

I think you are putting hose on backwards. The hardline portion of the hose you show there goes into the steering box. the other end attaches to the s-pipe that attaches to the back of the PS pump. The S fitting on the back of the pump is not included with hose nor is it reproduced.
I didn't change the hose, I just detached one end from the pump; the other end is still attached to the steering box.  The returned pump (top in the photo) clearly needs a male fitting; the hose I have (middle in the photo) clearly is not a male fitting; the replacement from NPD shows a male fitting.

It's like... did I get back the same pump I sent out for rebuild?  And for further conundrum, CJPony sells an adaptor that looks like it would fit both the Ford pipe and the Thompson pump, but it's sold to adapt a Saginaw pump to the Ford hose. (Second photo).  I'm so confused.

It looks to me like the rebuilder installed the wrong fitting. It shouldn't need an adapter. Post #3 in this thread will show you what it should look like, the fitting also holds the reservoir onto the pump (hence the large nut), and has a male fitting on it.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-power-steering-pump-problem?

It looks to me like the rebuilder installed the wrong fitting. It shouldn't need an adapter. Post #3 in this thread will show you what it should look like, the fitting also holds the reservoir onto the pump (hence the large nut), and has a male fitting on it.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-power-steering-pump-problem?
That's what I'm thinking and the post you referenced pretty much confirms it.  The "right thing to do" would be send the pump back to him and have him fix it, but just the rebuild was a 3-4 month process so I think I'll go with the replacement hose.

He should just send you the correct fitting, would cost less than shipping both directions.
Be careful here:  the female fitting that is in the pump now has a parallel thread.  The adapter shown above is tapered.  They may seal but the taper often takes up before the internal seat is secure so will leak.  If you can get an adapter from the pump builder, it needs to be male SAE parallel inverted to match the pump fitting, then male SAE flare for the S tube connection.   Shame they did not re - use the one that was on the pump when you sent it.

Interesting but messy. :huh:

PKJ

The pressure side fitting from the pump is fused to the core, so to change it necessitates a different core.

I could 1) ship it to him with my hose and let him experiment finding the fitting, or 2) attempt to find an adaptor, or 3) order the different hose.

For a chance at finishing this part of the project before 2020, I'm going with option 3) order the alternate hose and see if it fits. If it fits, end of story. If it doesn't, then... either I look for a correct replacement pump, or, option 1: return to him.

If you are still looking for the correct S-tube from the pump to the high pressure hose that routes the hose away from the hot exhaust manifold, it is now reproduced and available from NPD. (National Parts Depot)

Back