Dang...

jeremycfr

Today I was sideswiped by a big box truck. Opened me up like a can opener.

If I’m a betting man, I bet they total it. It’s a 17 premium/pony package with less than 22k miles. Not happy.

e62083bfafb4441cdcd455ce999c9a49.jpg4980310d461ab183da624e987b7066d5.jpg5082c6ebb29eb2688d34075f78e65f91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man that sucks, I feel for you. It isn't a classic era Mustang, but it's a late model Mustang and I'm sure it is special to you. Certainly not like your beater Hyundai was wiped out. You probably wouldn't want to keep that car even if the insurance company paid for the repairs. Unfortunately it will probably leave you in a crappy position financially when replacing it. So you were driving rather than parked? It looks like the car did as it was supposed to do as far as protecting the occupants.

Dang that sucks for sure.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

That sucks, but glad you are OK.. Dang it seems like you are a crash test magnet :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:  at least it's been in the new cars though

No air bags went off it's a door, quarter , wheel ...no frame issues  it's probably getting fixed about 7 K

I hope you checked the box for OEM replacement parts on your insurance paperwork, otherwise you get stuck with import or used parts.

I agree with Don without all the air bags blown they will fix it. It sucks for sure but most likely very little chassis damage. Glad you are ok hate to see what cut all those gashes in the metal.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Glad you are ok. Could of been a lot worse. Take your time finding a good shop for the repair. The doors a no brainer but repairing the quarter is going to take some qualified welding and body work.

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

They will fix it. Under OK law (circa 1992) YOU decide where it is going to be repaired and must consent to the use of non-OEM parts. You do not have to get estimates unless you want to do so. The non-OEM parts thing can become confusing when OEM sell excess parts to a supplier. Those parts now become non-OEM parts even though they were made by the OEM. Ask me how I know these things. ;) Chuck

Jeremy, are they cutting the quarter panel or going back to the factory lines.

When they were doing my son's 2016 GT they were going to just cut the new Ford 1/4 at the upper body line, and not go into the roof.

They were going to make it like a 1/4 skin

That was two years ago and his car had 7,000 miles on it  It was a fight so watch out for that trick

Hope no one was hurt or banged. Car can be fixed, though it is a bummer for it to happen. Was the truck driver cited?

Tim: Restoring 71-73 Ponies, Restoring People

139A1893.jpg

They will fix it. Under OK law (circa 1992) YOU decide where it is going to be repaired and must consent to the use of non-OEM parts. You do not have to get estimates unless you want to do so. The non-OEM parts thing can become confusing when OEM sell excess parts to a supplier. Those parts now become non-OEM parts even though they were made by the OEM. Ask me how I know these things. ;) Chuck

Insurance sent me to Collision Works (online reviews weren’t bad) and I took it up to the shop in Yukon. The quotes are pretty close. The Yukon guy went over the quote with me and pointed out that the aftermarket parts are close in price to the OEM. Said he would be using OEM if I brought it to him.

When they were doing my son's 2016 GT they were going to just cut the new Ford 1/4 at the upper body line, and not go into the roof.

That was two years ago and his car had 7,000 miles on it  It was a fight so watch out for that trick

Good question and I don’t remember if we discussed it. I will discuss with the shop before they begin work.

Hope no one was hurt or banged. Car can be fixed, though it is a bummer for it to happen. Was the truck driver cited?

Another good question. Nobody but us stoped and so it was a no witness accident. The trooper first said that the other driver claimed that it was I who left my lane but I pointed out that the angle of the Damage doesn’t support that claim. He seemed to agree.

After it was all over, he asked me to walk him through it again. I again stated that it was the other driver who was swerving and he said “then that’s the way the report will read.” Not sure if it will simply say “mustang driver stated...” or if it will be written as a fact.

Good question and I don’t remember if we discussed it. I will discuss with the shop before they begin work.

One more question to ask ... will they be NEW OEM parts or USED

One more question to ask ... will they be NEW OEM parts or USED

I actually had that discussion. The cost of “reconditioned “ parts was about the same cost of new parts. They went ahead and listed them as new Ford parts.

• 2 weeks later...

The good news is that the police report came back and showed him at fault and my insurance agreed to repairs. The bad news, according to Progressive (his claimed insurance) he nor his company have a policy with them.

My choice is to let it play out or file as uninsured motorist, pay my deductible, and hope to be reimbursed later.

Same sort of situation with my son in a parking garage - lady who hit him admitted it was her fault.

Police would not come to a private parking garage.

Her insurance company, Gieco said they think it was 50/50 fault and bring the car to their estimator at an appointed time and date.

Our Nationwide agent said to file it under our policy, get it fixed how and where we want, pay the deductible and they would go to arbitration.

Almost a year later he got a 1000.00 check for his deductible as nationwide won the case against Gieco

I would let the police know about the insurance (lack of). His vehicle license is subject to suspension and lying to an officer likely carries a penalty.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Yes notify police. He will likely be facing suspension and very hefty fines being a commercial vehicle without insurance.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Hey, bud - you told me but I just saw this thread. OUCH. Glad you and your family are unharmed.

Good luck with the repairs.

And if you have some questions - as he said - don't ask Chuck how he knows but just KNOW HE DOES.!

I sure consider myself ultra fortunate to have a good friend in Chuck who is so knowledgeable and is a true FORD enthusiast just miles from my home.

At and the cost of one Miller High Life bottle for each question I now owe him another case for all the questions and each request for the honest advice!

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)