Dang...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback
2017 Fastback
Today I was sideswiped by a big box truck. Opened me up like a can opener.

If I’m a betting man, I bet they total it. It’s a 17 premium/pony package with less than 22k miles. Not happy.

e62083bfafb4441cdcd455ce999c9a49.jpg
4980310d461ab183da624e987b7066d5.jpg
5082c6ebb29eb2688d34075f78e65f91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man that sucks, I feel for you. It isn't a classic era Mustang, but it's a late model Mustang and I'm sure it is special to you. Certainly not like your beater Hyundai was wiped out. You probably wouldn't want to keep that car even if the insurance company paid for the repairs. Unfortunately it will probably leave you in a crappy position financially when replacing it. So you were driving rather than parked? It looks like the car did as it was supposed to do as far as protecting the occupants.

That sucks, but glad you are OK.. Dang it seems like you are a crash test magnet :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:  at least it's been in the new cars though

No air bags went off it's a door, quarter , wheel ...no frame issues  it's probably getting fixed about 7 K

I hope you checked the box for OEM replacement parts on your insurance paperwork, otherwise you get stuck with import or used parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you are ok. Could of been a lot worse. Take your time finding a good shop for the repair. The doors a no brainer but repairing the quarter is going to take some qualified welding and body work.

They will fix it. Under OK law (circa 1992) YOU decide where it is going to be repaired and must consent to the use of non-OEM parts. You do not have to get estimates unless you want to do so. The non-OEM parts thing can become confusing when OEM sell excess parts to a supplier. Those parts now become non-OEM parts even though they were made by the OEM. Ask me how I know these things. ;) Chuck

Jeremy, are they cutting the quarter panel or going back to the factory lines.

When they were doing my son's 2016 GT they were going to just cut the new Ford 1/4 at the upper body line, and not go into the roof.

They were going to make it like a 1/4 skin

That was two years ago and his car had 7,000 miles on it  It was a fight so watch out for that trick

They will fix it. Under OK law (circa 1992) YOU decide where it is going to be repaired and must consent to the use of non-OEM parts. You do not have to get estimates unless you want to do so. The non-OEM parts thing can become confusing when OEM sell excess parts to a supplier. Those parts now become non-OEM parts even though they were made by the OEM. Ask me how I know these things. ;) Chuck
Insurance sent me to Collision Works (online reviews weren’t bad) and I took it up to the shop in Yukon. The quotes are pretty close. The Yukon guy went over the quote with me and pointed out that the aftermarket parts are close in price to the OEM. Said he would be using OEM if I brought it to him.

When they were doing my son's 2016 GT they were going to just cut the new Ford 1/4 at the upper body line, and not go into the roof.

That was two years ago and his car had 7,000 miles on it  It was a fight so watch out for that trick
Good question and I don’t remember if we discussed it. I will discuss with the shop before they begin work.

Hope no one was hurt or banged. Car can be fixed, though it is a bummer for it to happen. Was the truck driver cited?

Another good question. Nobody but us stoped and so it was a no witness accident. The trooper first said that the other driver claimed that it was I who left my lane but I pointed out that the angle of the Damage doesn’t support that claim. He seemed to agree.

After it was all over, he asked me to walk him through it again. I again stated that it was the other driver who was swerving and he said “then that’s the way the report will read.” Not sure if it will simply say “mustang driver stated...” or if it will be written as a fact.

Good question and I don’t remember if we discussed it. I will discuss with the shop before they begin work.

One more question to ask ... will they be NEW OEM parts or USED

One more question to ask ... will they be NEW OEM parts or USED

I actually had that discussion. The cost of “reconditioned “ parts was about the same cost of new parts. They went ahead and listed them as new Ford parts.

Back