Mustang Monthly

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why don't we make our own monthly online periodical ?... then Rocketyfoot turns into a press conglomerate and you'd then be buying and selling Rocketfoot stocks on the stock market.  ;)  ... poor Warren Buffet

Saw this the other day, most car mags gone. It was like Xmas every time one showed up in the mail. End of a era. Maybe the editor of MM gets that 71-73 are Mustangs too, while standing in the unemployment line. Oh wait. They probably don’t do that anymore.

I gave up on Mustang Monthly a couple of years ago, so can't get too broken up about the demise.

I do miss hard copies of magazines, though. I used to subscribe to Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, and bought several different car magazines off the rack every month, depending on if they had any Ford related articles.

I got a hard copy of the new NPD catalog the other day, and it's a pleasure flipping/browsing through it.

I got MM for years also. After they let Don Farr go I could tell the writing was on the wall. There wasn't much coverage for 71-73 but still enjoyed getting the hard copy and reading the "old fashion way".  Reading on a tablet or PC just isn't the same...Let my sub. expire a few years ago when they changed the format.

Don C -Yeah, it's pretty bad when all we have is the parts catologs to read!

I have a Kindle as well as a tablet (HP Slate 7) - both were provided as part of another package I'd purchased.  I've used the Kindle off and on for years, and I don't actually hate it.  But I am still just not a fan of touchscreen devices - the Slate is "OK" to use when I decide to fire it up and use it every now and then... but in all honesty, I'm holding out from having to depend on a smart device with a touch screen as long as I can.

Having the physical copy of the magazine (catalog, book, etc.) in my hand, just feels more natural and 'right' to me as well... and I'm the guy who is the IT expert at work, with multiple industry certifications and decades of experience.  I just hate the touchscreens, that's all.

Not to mention, buying the expensive devices all the time 'new & improved' comes around, and loading them up with "mo' money" data plans just cuts into the Mustang fund.  I like to think I'm more practical than luddite.   :whistling:

rofl rofl rofl

Not to mention, buying the expensive devices all the time 'new & improved' comes around, and loading them up with "mo' money" data plans 
I used to work with a couple of people that couldn't wait for the new phone to come out, one for iPhones, the other for Galaxy. As soon as a new one was announced they would put in an advanced order.

I made it a point to ask them how much it was costing them and then rub it in with my 3-year old paid-for Blackberry that made phone calls, did texting, took decent pictures and low monthly fees. It pains me when something fails and I have to buy a new one.

The case for printed material; they are easy to use, they don't have batteries to die, they don't break if you drop them, if need be you can start a fire with them (same for LI phone batteries), and can be useful in an outhouse. Having said that, I dropped all magazine subscriptions over a decade ago. Chuck

Not many of these left, but I had relatives on a farm in Kansas who still had an outhouse in use. Large family, one bathroom, so the two-holer saw frequent use. There was always Sears and Montgomery Wards catalogs in them, something to do while going, and something to use after, if there was just the cardboard tube left of the toilet paper roll. This was in the 1950s :)

No more Sears catalogs, no more Monkey Wards catalogs or stores, magazines going the same route. The catalogs used to be free, now we have to pay $200 or $300 for a tablet, more for a laptop or desktop, to browse the stores or read magazines. Us old farts can just shake our heads, wondering what has happened. I like the information that is available after a few key strokes, but I also miss going to the library, researching, going through the index cards, finding the book. I used to like reading in bed, with the book propped up on my chest. A tablet on my chest just isn't the same :(

Last edited by a moderator:
SO I receive this email notifying about the Car Craft being discontinued and giving me the option to chose between the digital editions of Hot Rod, MotorTrend or 4Wheeler.

"The good news is that in their place, you'll receive the digital edition of your choice of MotorTrend, HOT ROD or Four Wheeler magazine along with six months of the world's premier online automotive streaming service, MotorTrend."

So let me understand this. They took my money when I subscribed to the print version of Car Craft, which I decided over the digital version. Then they decide to discontinue and offer me digital versions of these other magazines. That is ridiculous :mad: :mad: . The least they can do is offer me a print version of those magazines for the reminder of my subscription. I chose the print version of CC because I don't want to read from a computer or tablet. Bunch of idiots! ....and I don't care about the MotorTrend streaming service since I get it via cable. The latter offer is just marketing.

This is the kind of thing that happens when the bean counters or attorneys start running companies, instead of enthusiasts and knowledgeable editors. They don't know and could care less about what the customer wants. The outlook is generally predictable and dismal. Hopefully whichever magazine you choose makes it through the remainder of your subscription time.

I just received a letter from TEN publishing stating that Mustang Monthly is being discontinued (like Car Craft) and "NOT" available digital online. Was offered the same options as above which I'm not interested in and plan on calling the number listed, 1-877-485-6429 for questions. I'm going to ask for a refund of the remaining 2-2/3 years I just sent for a magazine no longer printed and see what happens. If not offered a refund, wouldn't this be grounds for a class action lawsuit? Others here that are pissed might want to call them too and lobby for their money back!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's all about the profit for the shareholders and owners. What ever costs them less so they can make more. This unfortunately is happening to just about everything imaginable these days. The consumer is the one paying more for less. Mind you, it could be worse.

I cancelled my subscription to MM over a year ago, not enough content I was interested in, plus it seemed stories were just getting a freshen up and reprinted in a later edition. I still get Mustang 360 online, so I guess someone forgot to remove me from the email list. Again, most times I just send it to trash, nothing I'm interested in reading.

I get far more from our Forum than I ever did from MM.

Geoff.

Yeah I found out last week that the digital version was canceled and replaced with Hot Rod magazine. Which I promptly canceled. I’ve been a subscriber to Mustang Monthly since 1984. I not at all happy.

Back