What's wrong with this seat?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351 4v CJ, C6, Mach 1 Decor options, power: steering, brakes and windows, a/c, Rally Pac gauges, Deluxe interior.
[url=https://ibb.co/ZVjjKXW][img]https://i.ibb.co/zrMMbxG/s-l1600-2.jpg[/img][/url]
What's wrong with this seat?  '73 Mustang.  At some point the front drivers's and passenger's seats were swapped (release latches are on the wrong side as currently installed), probably because of this tilt.  The upholstery is also worn through so I'm positive it's meant to be the driver's seat.

I pulled the passenger seat out of the car and the seat tracks, while a bit rusty, look solid.  (They do have a slight curve, don't they? If not, I have a different problem.)  It's difficult to see because of the camera angle, but the bottoms of both seats are equal to each other, front and back.

Where should I look?  Has something gone wrong in the arm that attaches the backrest to the seat?  If you put the seat up but don't latch it, just let the hook rest on top of the catch (not in it), the seatback pitch looks perfect.  Could the arm attaching back to bottom have bent?  How far can I get before having to remove upholstery? 

Any / all tips and suggestions appreciated.

The bottom seat frame has cracked.  You will need to remove the upholstery and weld the frame.

Could be bottom seat frame cracked as mention above or the stop bumpers are missing. See pic. These go at the bottom of the seat back and the rear of the seat bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the seat bottom were cracked, wouldn't I be able to see it? If it were bent instead of cracked, would that explain the slight arc in the actual seat track?

I examined by eyeball and the frame out of the car and from the bottom looks solid. And I felt around the track created by the way the bottom frame is formed and could not detect anything. Not disagreeing with the suggestion, just trying to make sure I actually need to pull the upholstery.

Also, yes, seat bumpers are in place, both on the bottom and back.

If the seat bottom were cracked, wouldn't I be able to see it?  If it were bent instead of cracked, would that explain the slight arc in the actual seat track?

I examined by eyeball and the frame out of the car and from the bottom looks solid.  And I felt around the track created by the way the bottom frame is formed and could not detect anything.  Not disagreeing with the suggestion, just trying to make sure I actually need to pull the upholstery.

Also, yes, seat bumpers are in place, both on the bottom and back.
Bottom frame cracks right around the corner.  Allow for the back where the bumpers are at to roll back causing extra tilt on the seat back. See link to a previous post.  

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-lower-front-seat-frame-cracks?highlight=seat+frame

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be bottom seat frame cracked as mention above or the stop bumpers are missing. See pic.  These go at the bottom of the seat back and the rear of the seat bottom. 

Hey, just a heads up

Scott Drake and other are wrong... these are not correct for 71-3 . Well 2 bumpers are nothing else in the kit is

What's wrong with this seat?  '73 Mustang.  At some point the front drivers's and passenger's seats were swapped (release latches are on the wrong side as currently installed), probably because of this tilt.  The upholstery is also worn through so I'm positive it's meant to be the driver's seat.

I pulled the passenger seat out of the car and the seat tracks, while a bit rusty, look solid.  (They do have a slight curve, don't they? If not, I have a different problem.)  It's difficult to see because of the camera angle, but the bottoms of both seats are equal to each other, front and back.

Where should I look?  Has something gone wrong in the arm that attaches the backrest to the seat?  If you put the seat up but don't latch it, just let the hook rest on top of the catch (not in it), the seatback pitch looks perfect.  Could the arm attaching back to bottom have bent?  How far can I get before having to remove upholstery? 

Any / all tips and suggestions appreciated.

Could be bottom seat frame cracked as mention above or the stop bumpers are missing. See pic.  These go at the bottom of the seat back and the rear of the seat bottom. 

Hey, just a heads up

Scott Drake and other are wrong... these are not correct for 71-3 . Well 2 bumpers are nothing else in the kit is
+1 on these pieces of crap, wrong thickness, material, shape etc. Can they do anything right?

Back