LED Headlights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USAFPILOT

Reaction score
My Car
Do not currently own a Mustang
I am looking to purchase some LED headlights for my mom's 71 mustang convertible.  I am needing advice on which to choose.  She would like to retain the stock appearance but have much brighter lights that won't cause all of the oncoming cars to flash her constantly.  

I don't think the turn signals were normally part of the headlight, but some of the options I am looking at have that, seems odd.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

LED's are great too see with, but not great too look at oncoming.

I did LED's with my 03 Jeep TJ but due to serious noise static, had to returned them.

Are our Stangs able to handle LED's without any modifications to avoid noise interference?

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with stock looking headlights (with Ford logo) and a relay kit from Bob aka Rocketman. They are much brighter than stock and don't trip the headlight switch's circuit breaker!

I added them to my mustang and love them. Way better at night. I even wired mine up for the orange halos to blink with turn signals. The white halos run with just the parking lights on and when you turn on the high or low beams. Here’s a few pics of mine. With whit halos on. Then the 4 ways on showing the orange Hal’s and then just headlights. Here’s a link to them. https://www.ebay.com/itm/DOT-7inch-Round-LED-Headlight-With-Halo-Angle-Eyes-For-Jeep-Wrangler-JK-LJ-TJ/192621207975
Thanks for the pics and Link!  I had a double take when I followed that link as my first thought was the page caught a cookie that took me to a part for my Jeep.  I got a chuckle when I realized that My 72 Mustang will take the same headlights as my 2013 Jeep Wrangler.  Now I'm forced to buy two sets just cause it's too cool that they fit both!

Upgraded here too. Bought these from Amazon, and liked them so much that I upgraded my Mach 1 as well. They were just about 'plug-n-play', and the difference for me at night was incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm seriously not a fan of the "look" of the LED headlamps.

I'd recommend two things -

A) a relay pack to power the headlamps, which results in brighter headlights regardless of what you're using. Even the typical halogen is going to be much improved as they will now be powered almost directly from the battery, not through 30+ feet of small gauge wire that's 50 years old.

B) Cibie/Valeo 7" housings with H-4 bulbs. You can use off the shelf bulbs, or get some of the specialty lamps that offer higher wattage or whiter color temps. I used stock replacement Hella H-4 bulbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Cibie-082440-82440-Light-Unit/dp/B008DQV88Q/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=cibie+7%22&qid=1578842105&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-HLA-H83140101-12V-Halogen-Bulb/dp/B000CO7NGI/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=h4+bulb+hella&qid=1578842645&sr=8-7

If you want a complete, direct bolt in solution, I'd talk to Daniel Stern. He'll work you up a relay setup and headlamps set.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Rocketman offers several different relay pack setups - https://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-hrk-all

I put a headlight relay harness in my car, forget what brand, but works great. I even got some Scott Drake halogen lights with the Ford logo on them. They work amazingly well! They are the Only Scott Drake item that I have tried that works good.

I’m not a fan of how the way the led headlights look either. But the led lights on the interior are a huge improvement.

I'm not a fan of LED headlights, either, most are the wrong color temperature, too high, too much blue.

LED interior lights are good when bought from a reputable supplier, like HiPo or SuperBright, so you can get the correct color temperatures.

I've found that most white LED color temperatures are way too high, they look bright when you look at them, but they do not illuminate well, too much color shift. A lot of white LEDs that are advertised as good for brake and tail lights really don't have enough of the red and yellow spectrum in them to effectively illuminate the lenses. Once again, only buy from reputable suppliers. Most of them on eBay and Amazon are not worth their low costs.

Most of them on eBay and Amazon are not worth their low costs.
I must have got lucky, because mine have worked great for years now and provide a crisp white, luminous light, far better than my originals.  ::thumb::

Upgraded here too. Bought these from Amazon, and liked them so much that I upgraded my Mach 1 as well. They were just about 'plug-n-play', and the difference for me at night was incredible.

Old thread, but curious what turn signal/park lights you are rockin in that pic?

It's sort of interesting the directions "accessorizing", has taken in recent years. There's a lot of money being spent on digital guages, high tech lighting, carbon fibre trim, etc. When I first got my driver's license, I was ecstatic just to have a car. Most kids had an old oil burning used car which was all we could afford. As money permitted, we focused on getting the car running better, hopefully wheels and tires, dual exhausts, bolt-on performance was within reach if you saved for it, getting your ride re-painted was a huge expenditure in comparison but that was always the goal. No one growing up, would really focus on the things guys do today. For one, we didn't have all the stuff available today. For two, performance cars didn't have A/C, or lots of do-dads, performance cars used to be devoid of anything that didn't help you to go faster, our cars were stripped down, not added onto. I'm sure there were some popular dumb accessories, but I'm drawing a blank on just what may have been the more obvious ones. I end up weighing the value as: More "thingies', or better engine parts. Mechanical parts always win with me.

I have to be honest though, I really really like the LED's I put into my car. To me, being able to see the road at night is kind of important. As for the rest, I like it stock or at least, stock appearing.
You've all likely read my posts, so I'll not elaborate.

It's sort of interesting the directions "accessorizing", has taken in recent years. There's a lot of money being spent on digital guages, high tech lighting, carbon fibre trim, etc. When I first got my driver's license, I was ecstatic just to have a car. Most kids had an old oil burning used car which was all we could afford. As money permitted, we focused on getting the car running better, hopefully wheels and tires, dual exhausts, bolt-on performance was within reach if you saved for it, getting your ride re-painted was a huge expenditure in comparison but that was always the goal. No one growing up, would really focus on the things guys do today. For one, we didn't have all the stuff available today. For two, performance cars didn't have A/C, or lots of do-dads, performance cars used to be devoid of anything that didn't help you to go faster, our cars were stripped down, not added onto. I'm sure there were some popular dumb accessories, but I'm drawing a blank on just what may have been the more obvious ones. I end up weighing the value as: More "thingies', or better engine parts. Mechanical parts always win with me.
Huh! Fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror was a must have accessory.

Holy Cow! I'm not that old. Those were more like from the Fifties style fads. Lord knows, if you had a chopped coupe, you would only have 6"-8" of windshield, and dice would be in the way. Dice would be out of place in any roadster, so the only car left to display those dice would be a custom, in my mind's eye. Lots of Cal-Custom engine dress-up parts come to mind for my generation ( 60s-70s ), "pencil tips", "lakesides", and "Bellflowers" with glass packs, were popular on custom's exhausts. If you had a hot car, brands like Hedman, Jardine, Hooker, M/T, Cragar ,Cyclone, and Appliance headers were a must.

Holy Cow! I'm not that old. Those were more like from the Fifties style fads. Lord knows, if you had a chopped coupe, you would only have 6"-8" of windshield, and dice would be in the way. Dice would be out of place in any roadster, so the only car left to display those dice would be a custom, in my mind's eye. Lots of Cal-Custom engine dress-up parts come to mind for my generation ( 60s-70s ), "pencil tips", "lakesides", and "Bellflowers" with glass packs, were popular on custom's exhausts. If you had a hot car, brands like Hedman, Jardine, Hooker, M/T, Cragar ,Cyclone, and Appliance headers were a must.
Lol! Cal-Customs were the first thing I thought of, too! Shiny, poorly made valve covers that always leaked, among other bits and pieces they made. Cherry bombs and Thrush glasspacks.

Back