Texas Mach 1 - Trans Am Racing inspired build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oleTJ

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 - In progress 351C
2003 Mach 1 - Daily
Hey guys,

I'm TJ, and from Texas. I'm a big ford fan and I'm in the process of building my 1972 Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland. I have quite a bit of experience doing automotive fab work and plan on doing just about everything myself for my car albeit having limited resources. 

I'm still in the planning phase for the most part but my car is running and driving and I intend on keeping that way as I get the details hammered out. So far I have raised the wheel wells upward to lower the overall profile of the car ( a major flaw I always thought these cars had).  I do not intend on making the car too radical aesthetically as some car builders have done and therefore plan on maintaining the stock flares. 

I'm still torn on the drivetrain and how I'd like to pursue my goals. The two engine options I have are building the cleveland with 4V or aluminum heads as a hot N/A setup and shooting for 6-700hp. The other option is to build a twin turbo setup and shooting for equivalent power levels to showcase my fab skills. 

I started a youtube channel to document my build, please feel free to subscribe https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrK9Sv-r_eR08NVd0ynfJMQ to watch the build. The channel is still a ongoing project and I'm actively working to produce higher quality content.

The car is still sitting like a monster truck and will be getting lowered soon and new wheels/tires. Still a work in progress, but chipping away at the bodywork slowly but surely.

I hope you guys enjoy. 

Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. I had seen your post on Facebook last week. 

Odd that you think the car sits so high I have had issues with it dragging crossing some areas on roads here. Yes if you are on a track it can drop a bunch but with speed bumps and dips in roads we have here in the mountains would have to be careful where you drive. 

I myself am slowly working on a 72 vert for a track days car.

Welcome fellow Texan from Houston! Hope you make great progress. I know she'll look great!

Hello and welcome from SW Ontario, Canada.

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress. You definitely came to the right Forum for help, inspiration and 'you-name-it'

Geoff.

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I'm definitely planning on keeping you guys posted, I'd like to be able to inspire someone else to push their projects along and maybe try something new.

Welcome from Western Australia

Looks like an interesting project and will watch the progress

Personally I like naturally aspirated but twin turbos do sound impressive, hope you're good at plumbing!

Welcome from Western Australia

Looks like an interesting project and will watch the progress

Personally I like naturally aspirated but twin turbos do sound impressive, hope you're good at plumbing!
I've had a little practice.  :p

Back