1972 mustang ignition lock cylinder

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottyhudson

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang mach 1
The part you insert the key into is broken and I've take out the blinker but I cant figured out how to get it out because everyone is saying you have to turn the key but there is nothing to turn and the transmission is stuck in 1st gear 

On a related note how do I fix the transmission not going in park I've tried force and that didn't work 

Thank you in advance

Please go to the Introduction section of the forum and introduce yourself and your car, that way we'll be able to answer your questions better.

We like pictures (of your car).

Please go to the Introduction section of the forum and introduce yourself and your car, that way we'll be able to answer your questions better.

We like pictures (of your car).
Can you send me a link because I cannot find it

The part you insert the key into is broken and I've take out the blinker but I cant figured out how to get it out because everyone is saying you have to turn the key but there is nothing to turn and the transmission is stuck in 1st gear 

On a related note how do I fix the transmission not going in park I've tried force and that didn't work 

Thank you in advance
make sure lock rod is not blocking shifter from moving . U can disconnect this from lever down on lower end of steering shaft, next to steering box.

Thank you in advance
with steering wheel off, there is a small hole that u push a small awl into as u turd the key cylinder to accessory position, I believe, that will allow the lock pin to be depressed, allowing the lock/key assembly to be pulled out.

Also, make sure the ignition switch actuator rod isn't hanging up on something.

However, not being able to get it in park probably has something to do with it. The lockout rod has to move into the correct position, when the shifter is placed in Park before the key can be turned. If either the lockout rod or shift linkage, or both, are not adjusted correctly the key will not turn.

The information in this thread may help you

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-automatic-transmission-linkage-adjustments?pid=336825#pid336825

Thank you in advance
make sure lock rod is not blocking shifter from moving . U can disconnect this from lever down on lower end of steering shaft, next to steering box.
Thank you for helping it was stuck on a part of the transmission some how

I also got the ignition out thank you I couldn't have done it without you

Last edited by a moderator:
Back